EBay fee increases effective May 1 2018

Phil B

Subscription Fee Updates

Starting May 1, 2018, the yearly fee for a Basic Store subscription will change from $19.95/month to $21.95/month. The monthly fee for a Basic Store subscription will change from $24.95/month to $27.95/month.

Starting May 1, 2018, insertion fees will increase for non-Store sellers and Basic Store subscribers when you exceed your zero insertion fee allocation:

Non-Store. When you exceed your 50 zero insertion fee listing allocation, the insertion fee will change from $0.30 to $0.35

Starter Store. When you exceed your 100 zero insertion fee listing allocation, the insertion fee per listing will be $0.30

Basic Store. When you exceed your 250 zero insertion fee listing allocation in fixed price listings, the insertion fee for each fixed price listing will change from $0.20 to $0.25

Guest TabbyBoy

There's an increase in the UK too for Business Accounts from 01APR. They are introducing uncapped fees to encourage Business sellers to spend even more money buy opening an eBay shop. The final value fee for those without an Above Standard rating will increase from 10.8% to 15.6%. Having a Business Account, I find the FVF offers for Private Accounts rather unfair as I pay more in fees and also declare every penny to HMRC. It's slowly becoming uneconomical to trade on eBay as you basically need to sell a set for 3x buy-in to double your money.

The insertion free remains at 30p (+VAT) and there are no more promotions or offers anymore! ;-(

They are also working closer with UK tax authorities so that those who are obviously trading will need to declare earnings. If you run a tight ship, there's no real change. As long as this results in higher sale prices across the board, I have no problem with that. However, only about 25% of my sales are through eBay anyway. Any more and I'd have to register for VAT.

The greedy get greedier! 

Guest TabbyBoy
13 minutes ago, Will 4 said:

Is that HMRC your describing or Ebay?

I read in their forums. I found out the hard way a few years back when I didn't declare - I was more ignorant than evading. I can only suggest that you keep accurate records and register for self-assessment if you're deliberately making a profit. Remember that HMRC can go back years if they want to and the small fry are easier to fine and prosecute. I sleep a lot easier these days so any competitor that grasses me up can piss right off ;-)

It's your call, I ain't a grass ;-)

The fee increase is pretty minimal and only effects stores.

This, however, is the bigger deal conisdering the type of buyers ebay attract :P

Starting in May 2018, we will streamline our returns policy options. Buyers' expectations are continuously evolving and we strive to deliver a returns experience that is consistent and competitive with the changing marketplace. Our simplified return policy options will help drive a retail-standard returns experience for buyers and may boost your sales. We recommend that you begin changing your returns policies now.

The five return policy options will be:

• No returns accepted
  • 30-day buyer-paid returns
  • 30-day free returns
  • 60-day buyer-paid returns
  • 60-day free returns

Restocking fees will no longer be a return option.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

I read in their forums. I found out the hard way a few years back when I didn't declare - I was more ignorant than evading. I can only suggest that you keep accurate records and register for self-assessment if you're deliberately making a profit. Remember that HMRC can go back years if they want to and the small fry are easier to fine and prosecute. I sleep a lot easier these days so any competitor that grasses me up can piss right off ;-)

It's your call, I ain't a grass ;-)

Don't worry no problems here I am a collecter.

I find it ironic of ebay to care about taxes being payed

Edited by Will 4

Guest TabbyBoy

Even though I mention "10% Restocking Fee" on my listings, I can't enforce it as per eBay rules, but buyers may not know that. Returns are rare and the only ones I were faced with this year were 2x 75105 MFs when LEGO resurrected them at the lower price of £97.99. Luckily I pursuaded the buyers to keep the item as they only paid a little more and they'd also have to pay for return postage. I think the minimum is a 14-day period in the UK. I also have a new Private Account that I'll start using soon as they don't have to accept returns if it's an auction. That's my way forward as I'm full time in another business from 01MAR and will set up auctions to end a day before I can get to a post office.

C'mon eBay... stop being greedy and revert to the 5.25% FVF of 16 years ago! It's sellers that need to be supported more these days!

2 hours ago, KShine said:

This is unfortunate - Having the fee in place absolutely discourages buyers from abusing the system.

No it doesnt the abuse of the system is selecting not as described or damaged as the reason for the return so the seller will have to pay return shipping fees and send a full refund...There was never an option to do restocking fee on Ebay Money Back Guarantee Returns...The only time the restocking fee would apply is if the buyer said they honestly did not like the item or did not fit and they would pay for the original shipping and return shipping costs..Few buyers choose these options and usually choose the ones true or not that make the seller pay the return shipping..

>Seeing the restocking fee makes it even more likely that they would choose one of reasons that faults the seller and this is the abuse of the system..>Restocking fee did not help deter any returns if the buyer can easily choose sellers fault and have the seller pay return shipping and 0% restocking fee. The restocking fee might work on a very small percent of honest buyers remorse returns these are very very rare.

Restocking fee, No return policy or return timeframes mean nothing if the buyer simply claims the item not as described they will be entitled to their full purchase price refund and the seller will be out shipping both ways Period end of story.

Edited by Brickshopper

1 hour ago, Brickshopper said:

No it doesnt the abuse of the system is selecting not as described or damaged as the reason for the return so the seller will have to pay return shipping fees and send a full refund...There was never an option to do restocking fee on Ebay Money Back Guarantee Returns...The only time the restocking fee would apply is if the buyer said they honestly did not like the item or did not fit and they would pay for the original shipping and return shipping costs..Few buyers choose these options and usually choose the ones true or not that make the seller pay the return shipping..

>Seeing the restocking fee makes it even more likely that they would choose one of reasons that faults the seller and this is the abuse of the system..>Restocking fee did not help deter any returns if the buyer can easily choose sellers fault and have the seller pay return shipping and 0% restocking fee. The restocking fee might work on a very small percent of honest buyers remorse returns these are very very rare.

Restocking fee, No return policy or return timeframes mean nothing if the buyer simply claims the item not as described they will be entitled to their full purchase price refund and the seller will be out shipping both ways Period end of story.

Restocking fees tell a-hole abusers I am not some regular seller who does not know the ins and outs of eBay. :drag:  It really saves my time from dealing with them and they dealing with me. Win-win

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brickshopper said:

I was getting the bs returns constantly, until I added the fee for returns. I certainly understand that it doesn't need to make any difference (maybe even shouldn't make any difference) - but it has unquestionably made a big difference.

It might be that buyers see the fee and never look much further into making the return. My impression (previously, when I had lots of issues with returns) was that once many buyers reached the "reason for return" screen, the temptation to choose the one that benefits them was just too  strong.

Edited by KShine

3 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Restocking fees tell a-hole abusers I am not some regular seller who does not know the ins and outs of eBay. :drag:  It really saves my time from dealing with them and they dealing with me. Win-win

Correct as well - The would be abusers tend to gravitate towards the easiest targets.

On 27. 2. 2018 at 10:44 PM, TabbyBoy said:

Even though I mention "10% Restocking Fee" on my listings, I can't enforce it as per eBay rules, but buyers may not know that. Returns are rare and the only ones I were faced with this year were 2x 75105 MFs when LEGO resurrected them at the lower price of £97.99. Luckily I pursuaded the buyers to keep the item as they only paid a little more and they'd also have to pay for return postage. I think the minimum is a 14-day period in the UK. I also have a new Private Account that I'll start using soon as they don't have to accept returns if it's an auction. That's my way forward as I'm full time in another business from 01MAR and will set up auctions to end a day before I can get to a post office.

C'mon eBay... stop being greedy and revert to the 5.25% FVF of 16 years ago! It's sellers that need to be supported more these days!

If Im not mistaken private UK ebay accounts do not have to accept returns EVEN if its FIXED PRICE SALE.