Jump to content

Ideas #021: 21314 - TRON Legacy

Recommended Posts

€39,99 in The Netherlands is way above the price I was willing to pay for it. As Val-E says, it looks like two €9,99 sets combined in nice box.

I'd be okay to pay €25 for it. And maaaaybe if it gets good reviews (Jangbricks for example) I could consider €30 for it. But that's the maximum I'm ready to pay for it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Haay said:

€39,99 in The Netherlands is way above the price I was willing to pay for it. As Val-E says, it looks like two €9,99 sets combined in nice box.

I'd be okay to pay €25 for it. And maaaaybe if it gets good reviews (Jangbricks for example) I could consider €30 for it. But that's the maximum I'm ready to pay for it!

I reckon you´ll get it for 20 in the winter sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually don't care about the price if I find value in the design of the set.  This is a set that I could have made.  I am not knocking the designer, just saying for an Ideas set, it does not meet up to past standards.  I would rather have paid another $20.00 for a well done set, than a set that looks like you would find if you combined two polybags.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Haay said:

  And maaaaybe if it gets good reviews (Jangbricks for example)

I laughed.

--------------------------------

sidenote. this should be priced exactly the same as Women's of Nasa which has same price count, more figures, less price.  And we all know the most expensive part of each set are minifigures.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shewie said:

I laughed.

--------------------------------

sidenote. this should be priced exactly the same as Women's of Nasa which has same price count, more figures, less price.  And we all know the most expensive part of each set are minifigures.

I thought of that set as well.  I guess NASA is not as important as Disney.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Shewie said:

I laughed.

--------------------------------

sidenote. this should be priced exactly the same as Women's of Nasa which has same price count, more figures, less price.  And we all know the most expensive part of each set are minifigures.

NASA probably paid Lego to license their sets. No way would the Apollo rocket be a $120 set otherwise. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Shewie said:

This should be priced exactly the same as Women's of Nasa which has same price count, more figures, less price.  And we all know the most expensive part of each set are minifigures.

Nice sexist move LEGO - It is clear that they believe that male minifigs (or robots) are more valuable than women minifigs.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mathew said:

NASA probably paid Lego to license their sets. No way would the Apollo rocket be a $120 set otherwise. 

no one puts on the first place the fact that TLG is jacking prices up year after year but on a contrary we can see some rather irrelevant arguments.
"NASA PAID FOR APOLLO Project to LEGO. xD"
I can't believe what did I just read.

Apollo production costs and marketing was significantly smaller than other sets, word of mouth did the job.
Open the Apollo box look at the instruction last page and count how many of the same type bricks you have in there.
Do the math.
In Trone for example they had to create now prints on medium sized transclear round dish pieces (can't recon if they;ve used them ever before in such colours) + new moulds for hair and helmet and print.
That could generate up to 10% more cost of production for this set...contradictory to that calulation we are getting >30% price increase out of the blue for no particular reason.

TLG is in financially difficult situation and they will jack up the prices on every new set coming this year we have to accept this fact.
TRON as a licence is DEAD. there are no toys or anything that is HOT right now. Everyone is loosing their minds on Avengers currently.
I will never agree to argument that DISNEY jacked up the licensing costs especially for TRON based toy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

 

Tron is one of my favorite all time movies being a computer nerd and all ... For $24.99 CAD this set rocks (even if the original was better, this has two light cycles), for $29.99 CAD it's OK. 

At $44.99 CAD, LEGO can kiss my ass.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gregpj said:

Tron is one of my favorite all time movies being a computer nerd and all ... For $24.99 CAD this set rocks (even if the original was better, this has two light cycles), for $29.99 CAD it's OK. 

At $44.99 CAD, LEGO can kiss my ass.

One of my favorites too, both of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Shewie said:

no one puts on the first place the fact that TLG is jacking prices up year after year but on a contrary we can see some rather irrelevant arguments.
"NASA PAID FOR APOLLO Project to LEGO. xD"
I can't believe what did I just read.

Apollo production costs and marketing was significantly smaller than other sets, word of mouth did the job.
Open the Apollo box look at the instruction last page and count how many of the same type bricks you have in there.
Do the math.
In Trone for example they had to create now prints on medium sized transclear round dish pieces (can't recon if they;ve used them ever before in such colours) + new moulds for hair and helmet and print.
That could generate up to 10% more cost of production for this set...contradictory to that calulation we are getting >30% price increase out of the blue for no particular reason.

TLG is in financially difficult situation and they will jack up the prices on every new set coming this year we have to accept this fact.
TRON as a licence is DEAD. there are no toys or anything that is HOT right now. Everyone is loosing their minds on Avengers currently.
I will never agree to argument that DISNEY jacked up the licensing costs especially for TRON based toy.

Respectfully disagree to a degree.  They are not in a difficult situation at all...not yet anyway.  They are just not as profitable as they once were.  There is still time to get back to what made them successful the past 15 years, but overproducing sets, reproducing iconic sets and over-inflating current ones will not end pretty.  Continue to jack up prices and people will go elsewhere...See the TRU thread.  They are already finding other entertainment resources.  We might have already seen the peak for The LEGO Group's profitability. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let´s face it, this year they are counting on HP, Jurassic and Solo to give them the bulk of sales. This is a niche item and the few who will want it will pay whatever price to get one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Let´s face it, this year they are counting on HP, Jurassic and Solo to give them the bulk of sales. This is a niche item and the few who will want it will pay whatever price to get one.

For sure...This set was "easy."  They already have a licensing deal in place with Disney and pieces are generic.  The person who designed it was smart and took both these issues into consideration I'm sure.  To me, it's a minor set that they could have done better.  I have been impressed with their Ideas sets lately, so they get a pass with this set from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of needless ranting about a $35 Ideas set.  I guarantee it will sell a lot better than the $200 Voltron set.  

Is it a great set?  Nah, but what else do you think they could've done with the original submission?  At least we're getting two light cycles and three nice minifigs.  It's overpriced but we all know it will be 20% off in a couple of months or less.  Listen, Lego knows that if they priced this at $25 the resellers would buy it out day one and be quick flipping on ebay for $50.  I think $30 would be more fair but I'll still probably pick it up upon release.

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 This set looks like a combo of two polybags put together from Monthly "Lego Magazine Issue". :swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:
NEXOMagazineJuly.png?resize=838,419

 

@Ed Mack yes I do agree, probably little exaggerated their financial situation but still if they are so profitable why they had to lay off more than 10% of their employees if they are still sleeping on a pile of cash... anyway we are the first one to pay the price for their strategic mistakes.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I graciously give credit where due to the original Ideas project's creators as their build was quite good. However theirs was a display build with a number of open gaps (the spacious wheels for example) not stable towards any real sort of handling or play. Same as many other submissions, it simply was not a readily made design for the general consumer requiring a number of changes. Here LEGO closed up everything streamlining the build very well with the riders leaning forward as opposed to dropped sitting into a seating area. The handlebars are higher up than they should be but that is the fault of the minifigure's proportions. Only complaint would be the price though there are a handful of somewhat large parts not to mention all the printing across the translucent dishes and the "rooster tail" kind of tacked on there but I honestly cannot think of anything better without adding a lot of unnecessary bits to the build.

Now as usual with any set featuring a good amount of translucent pieces in the design, I can hardly wait to see these under a black light.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Val-E said:

 This is a niche item and the few who will want it will pay whatever price to get one.

...same with Voltron! 😅  Although I'm very excited if all 5 galaxy explorers get their own mini figure interpretation?! 

To be honest I've never heard about TRON before that project reached 10k supporters...obviously that set is overpriced and will be soon on sale.

Ok there are some unique and printed parts but no reason to buy that set. Bricks & peaces is the keyword. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...