75181 - UCS: Y-Wing

Alpinemaps

2 hours ago, Fralle02 said:

Hi, I'm new to this and could need some help. What are your thoughts about the Star wars UCS Y-Wing that will be released on May 4. I've ridden that lego models that don't look like lego have a good chance of increasing in value and after all, it is a model from the "Ultimate collector series.

So?, Do you think it's worth buying?

No, not for investment purposes.  Read some of the threads on this site for awhile and it will help you figure out what may or may not be a good investment.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, Fralle02 said:

Hi, I'm new to this and could need some help. What are your thoughts about the Star wars UCS Y-Wing that will be released on May 4. I've ridden that lego models that don't look like lego have a good chance of increasing in value and after all, it is a model from the "Ultimate collector series.

So?, Do you think it's worth buying?

UCS sets were already dead as investments back when I joined in 2016. Everyone & their dog is onto it. I was late to the game in 2016 &

UCS aftermarket prices are what got my attention. As advised hang around & have a read for a while before spending anything. The game

got very tough due to a massive influx of new investors coming in over the past two years. Good luck!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kouks said:

No, not for investment purposes.  Read some of the threads on this site for awhile and it will help you figure out what may or may not be a good investment.

Good luck!

I´ll make it simple. It´s worth buying at a good discount. At less than 40% off, probably not.

1 hour ago, RKI_Fismo said:

UCS sets were already dead as investments back when I joined in 2016. Everyone & their dog is onto it. I was late to the game in 2016 &

UCS aftermarket prices are what got my attention. As advised hang around & have a read for a while before spending anything. The game

got very tough due to a massive influx of new investors coming in over the past two years. Good luck!

Biggest mistake I made.  I bought 3 UCS sets in mid 2017 at RRP after hearing stories about all this money people make on them.  Then after buying the sets and trying to figure out how long it would take me to get rich I came here and learned my awful mistake.  I hope to one day be able to sell them and make my money back.

• Like 3

I have only collected the UCS sets coming out over the past few years (with discount, thank God).

Saw the new Y-wing 'coming soon' on LEGO Shop at Home by accident this morning and my heart tanked for veteran collectors.

I'm not even worried about the monetary perspective of the theme but just the general collectability.

The new set looks good (from some angle) but it must stink to have so many rehashes display at the same time as the 'collector series line-up'.

2x MF, 2x Death Star (10143 looks different, doesn't count), 2x X-wing, 2x Snowspeeder, 2x Y-wing...

Seems like TLG is milking SW theme/fans dry... yet, I somehow think there are more they can make happen instead of keeping remaking similar vehicles.

Edited by cissi

Thinking about this, it makes 4 high profile remakes or re-releases in 18 months time? Falcon, Taj, snowspeeder, and Y-Wing. Am I missing anything? Not to mention 3 current UCS sets that are remakes. Not very ultimate of them. 

Edited by marcandre
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, giannini78 said:

And still no Tantive IV remake!

Patience young Jedi

48 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Thinking about this, it makes 4 high profile remakes or re-releases in 18 months time? Falcon, Taj, snowspeeder, and Y-Wing. Am I missing anything? Not to mention 3 current UCS sets that are remakes. Not very ultimate of them. 

Plus the ultimate X-wing and the Death Star from just before 18 months ago.

Edited by jeff_14
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jeff_14 said:

Plus the ultimate X-wing and the Death Star from just before 18 months ago.

Forgot the Death Star. Just seems like it never went away. 

5 UCS currently available. 4 retreads and the 2+ year old Slave. Sad commentary on current state of Lego collecting. 

I'm digging it, but I don't have the original so that's probably why. Felt the same way about the snowspeeder. The big question is when are we going to see a new UCS vehicle set that's never been released? Oh and like others have mentioned, the box is gorgeous!

Edited by oneknightr

I like aspects of both of them.  The only thing that stood out as "off" to me when I first saw the image of the new one was the engines looked too short.  However, that might be rectified by longer Technic pieces (at least 1-2" longer).  So I'm not sure it's a show stopper. 

On the other hand, the old one doesn't exactly nail the engines either.  They're blocky and the proportion of the engine is off as well.  The trailer portion on the engines should be the same length as the engine itself.  However, the old one's engines are much longer than the source material.  So although the overall length is near correct, how it gets there is not. 

So neither set really nails the engines.  However, I think it will be easier to compensate the new one than to remove material from the old.

As I was looking at source material I came across a website with a high-end bandai model that looks a lot like the new UCS Y-Wing.  http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=288126.  In fact, the new set looks a lot like this model.

I do think a lot of the coloring is better in the new model, especially the cockpit.

I'll most likely end up getting the new one and modify the engines to proper proportions.  (Admittedly the UCS Y-Wing has been the one UCS set I have highly desired but has eluded me.  Now having to chose between the two, I think I can make tweaks to the new one that will make me happy with it as a display piece.)

Edited by exracer327

Comparing both LEGO Y-Wing versions shows above with this 1/72 scale BANDAI Y-Wing model, I think the new LEGO 75181 set comes closer to the source material:

Y-Wing.png.3d36d0d4dbd0c0b551f84dab849b02b5.png

5ac5fe173197c_Y-Wing75181.jpg.4ad3e078d4f7c50512204c1b4fd63d24.jpg

The engines were too long in the 10134. The body-work in the middle rear part looks more accurate, and the colours match the source material better as well.

Edited by Haay

On 3. 4. 2018 at 4:32 PM, Haay said:

Weird ... €230 in Spain vs. €200 in Portugal. Okay, I'm used to the price-difference between Germany (€200) vs Netherlands/Belgium (€230). But I can't figure out why Portugal would get it cheaper than Spain ?

And while Spain and Netherlands may feel getting the bad deal, it's even more expensive in Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland ...

I will prob buy mine in TRU Austria for 160€ (if everything pans out as usual) or maybe GaleriaKH if they have a good deal

6 hours ago, Haay said:

As someone pointed out elsewhere ...

• Saturn V has 1969 Lego parts and costs (in The Netherlands) €130
  • UCS Y-Wing 75181 has 1967 Lego parts and costs (in The Netherlands) €230.

So that's basically €100 DISNEY TAX on the new Y-Wing set!

Different packaging. Double glazed box.

More various bricks in different shapes "non-common".

Exclusive stickers.

Satisfaction.

Star Wars in the name.

Disney Tax.

Inflation.

Extensive R&D (how to turn 10 bricks from previous iteration in to a 100  of the same section to increase ROI)
------------------------------
Combined together.

bcf.png

Yes, that's 100EUR.

• Like 1

Also remember that most of the design work was carried out by the original Ideas submitter. His 1% is much less than Disney´s share, although he is likely to be quite well off now.

You could also compare it to the Destiny´s Bounty with UK price point or to Tron Legacy at the other end of the rip-off scale.

On 4/5/2018 at 8:35 AM, Haay said:

As someone pointed out elsewhere ...

• Saturn V has 1969 Lego parts and costs (in The Netherlands) €130
  • UCS Y-Wing 75181 has 1967 Lego parts and costs (in The Netherlands) €230.

So that's basically €100 DISNEY TAX on the new Y-Wing set!

You also have to consider the actual weight of both sets.  If the Y-Wing is made with more plastic, you will be charged more.  It's not only a Disney tax, it's a UCS tax.  The UCS sets have always cost more.

On 4/5/2018 at 5:43 AM, Haay said:

Comparing both LEGO Y-Wing versions shows above with this 1/72 scale BANDAI Y-Wing model, I think the new LEGO 75181 set comes closer to the source material:

Y-Wing.png.3d36d0d4dbd0c0b551f84dab849b02b5.png

5ac5fe173197c_Y-Wing75181.jpg.4ad3e078d4f7c50512204c1b4fd63d24.jpg

The engines were too long in the 10134. The body-work in the middle rear part looks more accurate, and the colours match the source material better as well.

Agreed the engines were longer in the 10134, however it does make it stand out well when displayed. As far as the colors go there were a thousand ways in Cannon Star Wars lore that the y-wing was shown on screen. All Lego did to color match the 10134 was take actual original trilogy photos of the Lucasfilm models to get it the best they could, for instance the “ grey canopy” in the new ucs set w3 ar3 getting depicts a battle damaged primer or bare Metal look. Here’s examples of both pics from lucasFilm. 

The one thing that stood out as a flaw of the new set is the front thruster cones aren’t as nice as the 10134’s as the actual model used the old “Leggs” egg shaped packaging.-lol ...and not to mention why the heck is Lego using the same old canopy piece anyways? Too bad a missed opportunity there for sure. Woulda been nice to get a newly molded side opening canopy(pictured below).

but hey you never know with these sets...we get a newly molded and printed Krenics shuttle canopy priced at $90 with a slew of minifigs-lol 

All in all I’m looking forward to a more battle damaged rogue one y-wing but the 10134 still holds up for sure ...so many rare expensive pieces- it’ll be interesting to see how well the old set holds its value over time.

13CC00E3-2E11-4195-BD14-4972D4AE57F6.jpeg

Edited by ChadWick1e46
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ChadWick1e46 said:

All in all I’m looking forward to a more battle damaged rogue one y-wing but the 10134 still holds up for sure ...so many rare expensive pieces- it’ll be interesting to see how well the old set holds its value over time.

I agree with every thing you stated above.   Especially your assessment of the original UCS Y-Wing.  I don't think it'll decrease in value much for the very reasons you stated above.  It's also one of the reasons it's been out of reach for many of us to get.

In this new set I'd love to modify the length of the engines and the pieces in the front corners of the engine.  Both are misses in this new set, in my opinion.

Pretty astute of LEGO to include the astromech droid in this Rogue One set as the y-wings in A New Hope didn't have astromech droids.  They didn't need them since there was no hyperspace jump.  Of course, with no astromech, that made their battle do-or-die as they would have had no way to escape the system if they failed.  I have to admit, all these years of watching the original and I had never realized the y-wings were missing astromech droids in A New Hope.

• 4 weeks later...