Are Star Wars sets turning into a lame duck?

scythanith

3 hours ago, Migration said:

They didn't get "too big too fast", their growth was over a decade. They simply peaked, and the market changed while they failed to adapt quickly enough. Once you reach the top, sooner or later there's only one way to go.

Right, this is not the "end of LEGO" or anything close to that, but the days of printing money are over for now.  New movies will only generate so much money and/or interest.  They had a great run, but unlike other companies that can create new toys or products that could revolutionize an industry, LEGO makes ABS plastic bricks.  There is not much you can do with that but build more radical and complex sets,  If kids (and adults) become too lazy or impatient to undertake more complicated builds and want instantaneous gratification, then LEGO is in trouble long term.

14 minutes ago, Val-E said:

For me Lego Movie 2 will be the tipping point. Either it tanks and the decline continues or it does well and brings back some magic to the brand. Or it could just be in the middle and nothing will change!

So if it's in the middle, it won't be a tipping point.  LOL.  There won't be that much magic.  How many LEGO movies have launched since the first one?  Been there, done that. 

My 300 unit tie striker fleet bought at 34.99 is looking pretty good right now. I felt insane still ordering tie strikers days into the target sale... but its an easy 25$ profit each at this point.

I wasn't really around during the "golden days" so i can't really compare the two. However, whenever i can make 30% or more on a purchase with a relatively short hold period. I consider it a pretty good time. These being around 70% profit makes it pretty golden.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

The recently retired Poe's X-Wing will be a good indicator. We should really use RRP as a baseline as some of the discounts have been huge for the privileged few. I did go in huge during the insane Tesco/Asda sales, but that's all gone now.

Guest TabbyBoy
21 hours ago, Val-E said:

For me Lego Movie 2 will be the tipping point. Either it tanks and the decline continues or it does well and brings back some magic to the brand. Or it could just be in the middle and nothing will change!

I think the tipping point has passed if that disgusting DB5 is the best that their dog can throw up. So many rejected IDEAS sets that presented so many opportunities.

• 1 month later...

Totally agree with the sentiment in this thread, Unfortunately I came out of the dark ages and decided to heavily invest in UCS Star Wars sets, Disney have killed this unicorn of a franchise by oversaturating the market weakening The franchise with vanilla one dimension characters that nobody cares about, The last Jedi made my brain hurt.

• Like 1

The recently retired Poe's X-Wing will be a good indicator. We should really use RRP as a baseline as some of the discounts have been huge for the privileged few. I did go in huge during the insane Tesco/Asda sales, but that's all gone now.

All you need to know is the much less hoarded resistance xwings are selling for $120 FBA and Poe is sub $90

Guest TabbyBoy
5 hours ago, justapilgrim said:

All you need to know is the much less hoarded resistance xwings are selling for $120 FBA and Poe is sub $90

The blue X-Wing in the UK was about £10-20 more expensive than the orange one, depending on where you bought it.

44 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

You can still buy Poe’s at some Target and Walmart stores, so it hasn’t really disappeared yet. This isn’t just me here in the land of the lost either.

you can also still buy poe's 75102 for msrp at walmart.com.

blue resistance fighter will end up doing better than poe's just because of the seller count (55 vs 112).

the resistance xwing  microfighter has already been a >3x winner for me selling quickly for $27-29 with most of the one's  i'm selling purchased for $6.99 during the permasale.

38 minutes ago, cladner said:

you can also still buy poe's 75102 for msrp at walmart.com.

blue resistance fighter will end up doing better than poe's just because of the seller count (55 vs 112).

You're also comparing a set that was available for 34 months (Poe's) compared to 18 months (Resistance).  That makes a huge difference.

• Like 3