Are Star Wars sets turning into a lame duck?

scythanith

The smaller Star Wars sets seem to still have decent resale value.  I'd stay away from 7-9 movie sets given how pricey and abundant they are.

Rebels & Rogue One seem like winners given that they're not likely to have a lot of remakes.  Outside of the Phantom II we got nothing from Rebels in like 2 years.  Seasons 3 & 4 were completely neglected sadly.  Remakes are fine as long as they're improvements or unique in some way that warrants a new purchase(Eagerly awaiting a new TIE Bomber).

• 1 month later...

This is a must-watch interview for Star Wars Lego fans. They discuss what happens when sets and characters get cut from the films, the commercial failure of AoH, the budget constraints to make the UCS Falcon and of course all the remakes. Fascinating and honest insight. Seems we ARE getting an ISD.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 5:23 AM, Val-E said:

This is a must-watch interview for Star Wars Lego fans. They discuss what happens when sets and characters get cut from the films, the commercial failure of AoH, the budget constraints to make the UCS Falcon and of course all the remakes. Fascinating and honest insight. Seems we ARE getting an ISD.

"It'll always be a mix of remakes and brand new things."  Excellent.

Just catching up on this thread. Cladner has it right...pick the right sets and SW is still a winner. Pick the wrong sets and it's not. If the OP is seeing the value of his sets decline, it means he/she is picking the wrong sets. I still make huge margins each year on the SW sets that I buy at the regular 20%-30% discount.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redcell said:

I still make huge margins each year on the SW sets that I buy at the regular 20%-30% discount.

Is that the old 20-30% discount or the new normal Walmart/Amazon-20%-price-reduction-to-what-the-RRP-should-have-been-to-begin-with discount? Hopefully both.

16 minutes ago, hockeyweasel said:

Is that the old 20-30% discount or the new normal Walmart/Amazon-20%-price-reduction-to-what-the-RRP-should-have-been-to-begin-with discount? Hopefully both.

I think the big manufacturers are facing the same problem with this license... way over produced. Hasbro is a serious offender in this category. Look at The Vintage Collection and The Black Series, all on clearance in Wal-Mart. It will be smart to park your money else where than on Star Wars right now.

11 minutes ago, tacsniper said:

I think the big manufacturers are facing the same problem with this license... way over produced. Hasbro is a serious offender in this category. Look at The Vintage Collection and The Black Series, all on clearance in Wal-Mart. It will be smart to park your money else where than on Star Wars right now.

You can do ok if you pick the right stuff, as with anything else.  I'm guilty of taking small gambles and later being disappointed I didn't go with my gut.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

You can do ok if you pick the right stuff, as with anything else.  I'm guilty of taking small gambles and later being disappointed I didn't go with my gut.

Your small gambles are what many of us, including investing MVP  @terrymc4677 consider sure-fire ching-ching bet-the-farm in-for-99 winner winner chicken dinners, though.

Plus Jeff has your FBA back even if things go wrong.

Heck, I´d pay 20% over RRP with that backing.

Edited by Val-E

8 hours ago, Val-E said:

Your small gambles are what many of us, including investing MVP  @terrymc4677 consider sure-fire ching-ching bet-the-farm in-for-99 winner winner chicken dinners, though. 

I didn't realize that I won the investing MVP award this year! Do I get a trophy? It will look great on my poker table next to my 50+ Rey Speeders and 50+ Poe X-Wings. I won't even tell you how many Series I Brickheadz that I have squirreled away. 

"Small gamble" means different things to different people. I've always stated that this little game we are all playing is, and always will be a gamble. Not everyone picks winners all of the time. If you follow your gut and the buy in makes sense, then go big or go home, assuming that you aren't gambling with the mortgage or rent payment. I've been doing this part time since 2008. At this point I'm playing with house money, so it's all good. 

Where has Grolim been? We need to run that investing game again that he ran a few years ago. It would be fun to see how we all do now with the changes in the market we've all been dealing with.

Edited by terrymc4677

Guest TabbyBoy
3 hours ago, donbee said:

I’d go all in on Yoda’s ship if I wasnt using all my GE coupons on Iron Golems.

You can quote me on that next year emoji6.png

Just the reason why I won't. If I ever went all in, so would thousands of others, killing the resale market. You did the right thing by not buying them ?

I think only a truly exclusive SW set, with limited availability and based on EP4/5/6 stands a chance these days. I just can't take such a huge risk. The concern I have is that the recent dreadful movies could kill interest in SW for a long time, it's a real shame. I believe that SW would be more precious now if only EP4/5/6 were made, my 2p worth.

8 minutes ago, donbee said:

I don’t know why people are hating so much in the new trilogy. I feel like it’s so much better than the prequels, and they didn’t hurt the sw market.

Solo just lost money because of Ep 8. I'd call that hurting the SW market.