10261 - Roller Coaster

Val-E

On 4/27/2018 at 4:02 AM, Mos_Eisley said:

It definitely looks good in action in those videos. I'm glad it can make it all the way around on its own. I wouldn't say it's based on any particular coaster though. Every state fair in the U.S. has a small coaster that looks just like it. 

IMG_0731.JPG

. BUT. (!) The Prague one's also matches the colours and number of these round-the-circle tracks in the bottom right part of your photo (sorry, Im not native English. so I dont know how to put it more precisely).

but in general I have to agree that this photo looks very similar to the LEGO Creator design.

For the longest time, fans have wanted the classic monorail track system to make a return in some way and while that dream may never come to pass seeing an officially released rollercoaster track & design by LEGO feels a bit like the revival of aforementioned monorail except with more possibilities thanks to the new type's flexibility over the older one's rigidity. Hopefully LEGO will continue in utilizing these new track pieces to their fullest as there is potential with all sorts of coasters from junior, giant, standup, inverted, suspended, launching, the list goes on. Of course getting such designs to work within minifigure scale will be a challenge but at least possible now.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 8:17 AM, TheOrcKing said:

For the longest time, fans have wanted the classic monorail track system to make a return in some way and while that dream may never come to pass seeing an officially released rollercoaster track & design by LEGO feels a bit like the revival of aforementioned monorail except with more possibilities thanks to the new type's flexibility over the older one's rigidity. 

I see where you're going with this but there's no hiding that this is roller coaster track.  Also it will take a bit of engineering to motorize the cars.  Naysayers argue against the benefits of the original Lego monorail system but I'll say that it was ahead of it's time.  The monorail system track is 4 studs wide which is perfect for incorporating into Lego City layouts.  The current train system is too big IMO.  Size wise this roller coaster track is perfect but I'm not sure Lego is interested in modifying it to incorporate a motorized tram.

Now, what will be cool is seeing the first Space Mountain MOC!

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 2

Review Summary
It's flimsy AF.
Build - Forget it.
Pretty ok Parts to Price Ratio.
Lack of variety of bricks - 500 2x2 Round White Bricks. 250 Rail Links etc.
Massive! 100 Studs Long!
Without PF's (Extra $$$) rather a dust collector.
Well balanced (structure wise) for what it is.
Attractive and appealing to everyone when motorized.
Smooth rail system with carts, self lubricating wheels made of rubber-plastic'y material.

21 minutes ago, Shewie said:

Review Summary
It's flimsy AF.
Build - Forget it.
Pretty ok Parts to Price Ratio.
Lack of variety of bricks - 500 2x2 Round White Bricks. 250 Rail Links etc.
Massive! 100 Studs Long!
Without PF's (Extra $$$) rather a dust collector.
Well balanced (structure wise) for what it is.
Attractive and appealing to everyone when motorized.
Smooth rail system with carts, self lubricating wheels made of rubber-plastic'y material.

Don't agree with some aspects of your summary. Jang's opinion:

1. He likes the set

2. There seems to be a lot of repetition in the structure, but actually LEGO did a pretty good job in mixing it up. There's never more than 4-6 of the same pillar build, and you build max 2 the same at a time

3. Mechanism works really smoothly, including an "infinite loop" setup with optional motor or Boost pack

4. Good value for money, and simply HUGE compared to other sets.

Negatives:

5. Track pieces are not sticking together very well - you need to occasionally check your tracks, especially when you move the set around, otherwise carts get stuck or slow down

6. Little possibility to "customize" the track - lots of complex and specific engineering and LEGO math went into this set.

7. Even though it all looks very engineered, the structure has quite a lot of "give" or "play" - not as sturdy as it looks.

Overall a positive review.

• Like 1

1. He likes the set

show me in his 1590.93 videos when he didn't like the set. He even liked AoH.

2. There seems to be a lot of repetition in the structure, but actually LEGO did a pretty good job in mixing it up. There's never more than 4-6 of the same pillar build, and you build max 2 the same at a time 

where did I say it's repetitive and boring? I highlighted the fact that you have almost 1000 pieces of 2 different types of bricks. They could have decorated those pillars in many different ways not adding lot's of extra bricks.

4. Good value for money, and simply HUGE compared to other sets.

I wouldn't go that far with that claim. 0.09c for piece in a non licenced product is a Star Wars territory. 0.1-0.12c

Edited by Shewie

I think the limitations are with the curves. This design literally is just down hill and flat turns. I don't think we will ever get a true coaster rail system from Lego with banked turns or different curve degrees. Not that I am hating on the offering, but I agree it will be challenging for MOC's to create a single lift coaster much outside of this current design.

I don´t care much for the fairground theme, but once has to admit that the rollercoaster does everything it should. It is functional and the cars don´t get stuck. Size and scale looks good too.

I guess the good folk are just saturated with big Lego sets these days - 5 years ago people would have been dreaming about this.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Val-E said:

I don´t care much for the fairground theme, but once has to admit that the rollercoaster does everything it should. It is functional and the cars don´t get stuck. Size and scale looks good too.

I guess the good folk are just saturated with big Lego sets these days - 5 years ago people would have been dreaming about this.

I really like it.. the price could be (of course! a bit lower) . but that is just  life.. I will get it next year, when the initial dust settles.. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shewie said:

show me in his 1590.93 videos when he didn't like the set. He even liked AoH.

Just watch the first minute of this one. Also he made a separate video criticizing AoH and then ther was the BB (Big Ben) pan to name a few. 

1 hour ago, Haay said:

Interesting point in Jangbricks' review when he showed the park map:

uTfpW7R.png 

Ferris Wheel, Carousel, Roller Coaster ... But no Fairground Mixer ...

Why should TLG show a retired product on the park map? They want to sell their products that are available now. I assume the Ferris wheel doesn’t retire before 2020...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Val-E said:

You can never satisfy everyone. There will always be some that just ***** and complain about everything.

This is a mighty fine set and will do well if LEGO continue with these stunning theme park rides. Def creates a different fan base than just modulars and Star Wars UCS.

Edited by tacsniper
  • Like 2

I am only wondering if the track pieces are ABS plastic (seems like it) or if they are perhaps the rubbery material sometimes used. It would be great if LEGO molded these in the more flexible rubbery substance as well, so we could twist them into banked curves. I'm afraid the ABS track would snap if you tried to do that.

@Pseudoty
Don't bend the reality, I remember very well the situation with AoH. He made his initial review and his second video was a answer to overwhelming critique addressed towards this set. He didn't say in his initial review that the set was bad nor a turd. He just decided to flow with the crowd. Same applies with terrible 1/2 AT-ST from TLJ where even on Lego website LEGO Shop at Home the set is just turned into the ashes in the comment section.
Jang's reviews are not essentially opinion-forming. There are plenty of sets now and in the recent past that we are finding underwhelming, overpriced, not-perfectly-executed... you name it but you won't hear it from him. He makes six digits every month on his channel and he want's to be appealing to kids, parents and AFOL's. To be successful in those demographics you have to be soft as cotton candy sprinkled with glazed small marshmallows... not edgy and sometimes cocky.
If there is any selection of any "upright" not shying away from criticizing openly bad or questionable sets as those mentioned above, Jang would be on this list next to last.
It surprises me sometimes because he is not in Lego's pocket like 90% of the reviewers on YT which are getting tons of sets for free from TLG.

IMHO The only one that is really viable as a Lego reviewer is Sariel who's on my top position of the reviewers that actually are worth a dime to pay attention to. He is very often Constructive Criticizng sets giving plenty of AFOL and MOC designer insights that JANG for example wouldn't even think about. Because Jang isn't really a top MOC designer. His hideous skyscraper is a living example of that.

7 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I am only wondering if the track pieces are ABS plastic (seems like it) or if they are perhaps the rubbery material sometimes used. It would be great if LEGO molded these in the more flexible rubbery substance as well, so we could twist them into banked curves. I'm afraid the ABS track would snap if you tried to do that.

tracks are sturdy plastic, car wheels are made of rubber, that's why Jang called them:

self lubricating wheels.