Lego Shop "Retiring Soon" update

According to Lego Shop's Facebook page, they've just updated what's Retiring Soon. https://www.facebook.com/officialLEGOshop http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Retiring-Soon?cmp=soc-RetiringSoon_Feb13_NA What I find interesting is what isn't on the list. I would have thought that last year's Superheroes and Monster Fighters sets would be listed as Retiring Soon the next time the site updated.

Lego Shop has a reply on Facebook about the retiring sets that just came out.

Just wanted to clarify that there is no mistake on the Friends and Chima items. The Friends Pets and Chima Speedorz are set to refresh on much shorter timelines than most sets.

We put items as retiring soon even if they're sold out because it is possible that these items can still be found at other retailers even if we do not have remaining inventory.

Yeah, seeing the "New" beside the "Retiring Soon" tag sounds like a contradiction. I know the FRIENDS collectables, MINIFIGURES series', CHIMA Speedorz, and STAR WARS Planets have a lifespan that is slightly more limited than regular sets but come on. They are going to discontinue those already, really? These ONLY just came out technically. Plus I still have not found any of MINIFIGURES Series 9, damnit! I don't know. It's been almost two weeks since the last time I had a decent chance to check out the LEGO aisle without being rushed or had more pressing matters to worry about. Maybe I'll get lucky and find Series 9 yet in the next day or so. God I hope so. I cannot afford to buy those online, I'll never get the whole series that way.

Lego Shop didn't announce it on their Facebook page like last time, but I just noticed that all Monster Fighters sets are now being listed as Hard to Find.

"Hard to Find" tag doesn't really mean much to us brickpickers - it means either you can only buy it from LEGO.com, or is an exclusive to a retail store.

We know Monster Fighters isn't exclusive to a certain store except for The Zombies which was exclusive to Target. I think that more likely this is reflective of the fact that major retailers (including Walmart, the world's largest) are clearing them out and they're getting hard to find on shelves. The Lego Group knows this and updates their site. I would think when the average grandmother goes into Walmart to pick up little Billy's Lego Werewolf for his birthday and not finding it does affect Lego investing.

We know Monster Fighters isn't exclusive to a certain store except for The Zombies which was exclusive to Target. I think that more likely this is reflective of the fact that major retailers (including Walmart, the world's largest) are clearing them out and they're getting hard to find on shelves. The Lego Group knows this and updates their site. I would think when the average grandmother goes into Walmart to pick up little Billy's Lego Werewolf for his birthday and not finding it does affect Lego investing.

What I said stands - "hard to find" tags does not necessarily mean that.

We've seen "hard to find" tag used on items that were not exactly really hard to find.

Over time, people on forums like this determined that LEGO uses "hard to find" tags for any items that are exclusives.

See this thread for more details http://www.brickpicker.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/1448/

It seems like getting some of the Chima Speedorz that are retiring soon might be a good idea. I'm just not sure I will be able to find them at a discount before they are gone.

I think I'm going to pass on Chima sets all together. I don't know anything about them, nor do they fit into "buy sets I like just in case the market crashes.". I may regret not investing in Chima, but I'll survive just fine.

I think I'm going to pass on Chima sets all together. I don't know anything about them, nor do they fit into "buy sets I like just incase the market crashes.". I may regret not investing in Chima, but I'll survive just fine.

I'm in the same boat. I avoid Ninjanos (sp?) for the same reason. I'm just gonna feel pretty shiy if I end up having those or Chima sets if the market takes a dive.

Plus, it helps me bring my buying under control and not get carried away ;)

It seems like getting some of the Chima Speedorz that are retiring soon might be a good idea. I'm just not sure I will be able to find them at a discount before they are gone.

Much like the NINJAGO predecessor of 'spinners', it's doubtful that anyone will ever find the Speedorz on sale. We've already had some discounts on the regular sets and will continue to, but nothing on the Speedorz and I would not hold my breath on it.

You know, I might be more lenient on purchasing the Speedorz if their normal retail was around $10, the same price as the Spinners. $15 seems rather steep, especially collectively, when compared to other sets on the shelf. Then again, we pay $3 for just one random character in the MINIFIGURES series.