10189 - Taj Mahal

stackables

And I wondered... Should I invest in this? Should I invest in other sets... What to do, what to do...

Any thoughts/suggestions?

If you love the set, buy the set. Sometimes these large LEGO sets keep on appreciating. If you are so-so on the set, maybe invest elsewhere. I find myself faced with the same question on a daily basis. Invest in old, retired sets that are big time gainers or take the money and invest in newer sets, hoping they will increase...that is the question.

I find myself mixing it up, old and new. At the end of the day, I'm a LEGO fan first and if I want a particular set, I will buy it in hopes that it will appreciate. Many "true" investors and resellers take emotion out of it and buy only what is hot or might be hot sellers one day.

• 6 months later...

what is a good price to pay for taj mahal new in box? is it a good investment for future?

Dangerous question. A NIB 10189 is easily going for $1200+ now. This set appreciated 8% last month alone...50% last year. These are amazing numbers. Can it continue? Why not? It can become the second set to hit $2000. I mean, it is the set with the most amount of pieces, why shouldn't it be the set that's worth the most? Many people asked the same question of the 10179 when it was $1200. You can see where that is today. It's a big price to pay, but there still could be some tremendous gains....maybe. LOL

I think this set is going to continue to increase. I definitely see it selling for $2,000 in the future. Last weekend I watched one sell for $1,600 on ebay, crazy!!! As Ed said the going rate seems to be in the $1,200-1,300 range though. The Eiffel Tower and Grand Carousel are 2 other sets that are already extremely expensive, yet I still see room for growth with those as well, but they will probably never catch the Taj Mahal. Here's a sealed one that's already up to $1,275 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Taj-Mahal-Lego-set-10189-New-Factory-sealed-in-box-5922-/200893538132?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item2ec6301f54

I think this set is going to continue to increase. I definitely see it selling for $2,000 in the future. Last weekend I watched one sell for $1,600 on ebay, crazy!!! As Ed said the going rate seems to be in the $1,200-1,300 range though. The Eiffel Tower and Grand Carousel are 2 other sets that are already extremely expensive, yet I still see room for growth with those as well, but they will probably never catch the Taj Mahal. Here's a sealed one that's already up to $1,275 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Taj-Mahal-Lego-set-10189-New-Factory-sealed-in-box-5922-/200893538132?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item2ec6301f54

i was eyeing on this one for below 1400 but now its gone to 1426 few min left..

The one MAJOR plus for this set is that it will probably never be remade again, unlike STAR WARS UCS sets. This could become the most valuable set.

i just won an auction for taj mahal brand new sealed in box( as stated by the description) i tried to contact the sell and asked to send me detailed pics but he said he cannot send it now...now that i have won can i delay the payment till i am satisfied after seeing pics? and what if i am not satisfied with the pics what are my choices?

BTW i got it for 1230$

Yes.....TOO MANY SCAMMERS DISHONEST HUSTLERS!!! Definitely if you we're willing to drop this kind of cash...you had better do/done your homework. Definitely don't want anyone getting hustled...especially a person that goes on here for investment knowledge. To me they have to have at least 100 feed backs and I would check and see if those feed backs were as a buyer or seller. VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE AT LEAST HALF WERE AS A SELLER!!! Too easy to get feed backs buying $5 items and selling $5 items. A lot of scammers are getting smart, so what they are doing is buying and selling a lot of small rinky dink items to build their feed backs. Once they do that, they'll sell a BIG TICKET ITEM and then that's how they'll get you. So don't believe the feed backs all the time. Also if they CAN'T CAN'T CAN'T generate good quality pictures of the $1,000,000,000,000,000.00 item they are selling, that raises a question. Are they legit???? Probably not!!! Look elsewhere for that expensive set. Got to be very careful on EBAY when it comes to the more expensive sets and other things in general. Also a lot of people that sell on Ebay that are honest and try to be great sellers will write a lot of info on their description of the item. Will ask you if you have any questions to send them a message. Will explain what they expect from you as a buyer and how they will ship out the item. A lot of customer service and they will definitely care because they depend on positive feed backs for their sales. Just something to look for when buying. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Yes.....TOO MANY SCAMMERS DISHONEST HUSTLERS!!! Definitely if you we're willing to drop this kind of cash...you had better do/done your homework. Definitely don't want anyone getting hustled...especially a person that goes on here for investment knowledge. To me they have to have at least 100 feed backs and I would check and see if those feed backs were as a buyer or seller. VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE AT LEAST HALF WERE AS A SELLER!!! Too easy to get feed backs buying $5 items and selling $5 items. A lot of scammers are getting smart, so what they are doing is buying and selling a lot of small rinky dink items to build their feed backs. Once they do that, they'll sell a BIG TICKET ITEM and then that's how they'll get you. So don't believe the feed backs all the time. Also if they CAN'T CAN'T CAN'T generate good quality pictures of the $1,000,000,000,000,000.00 item they are selling, that raises a question. Are they legit???? Probably not!!! Look elsewhere for that expensive set. Got to be very careful on EBAY when it comes to the more expensive sets and other things in general. Also a lot of people that sell on Ebay that are honest and try to be great sellers will write a lot of info on their description of the item. Will ask you if you have any questions to send them a message. Will explain what they expect from you as a buyer and how they will ship out the item. A lot of customer service and they will definitely care because they depend on positive feed backs for their sales. Just something to look for when buying. Hope this helps.

thanks it looks legit i requested the guy to send me detailed pics and he did of each corner and the seals.

Today i received the set..It was sent through California to NJ the shipping box was beaten up and I was afraid whats the condition of lego set inside but when i opened it the ebay seller did a perfect job in packing it up...it was wrapped with bubble wrap and lots of packing peanuts..and the set was in perfect shape with all seals intact..box also looks good..

Today i received the set..It was sent through California to NJ the shipping box was beaten up and I was afraid whats the condition of lego set inside but when i opened it the ebay seller did a perfect job in packing it up...it was wrapped with bubble wrap and lots of packing peanuts..and the set was in perfect shape with all seals intact..box also looks good..

That is great news. I can't count how many times I've received a set that was damaged during shipping.

• 6 months later...

I just found a guy that has a used, no box Taj Mahal with original manuals.

Would you trade a 41999 for this set? I have 2 Crawlers and being the 10189 the biggest set up to date I feel tempted to propose the trade.

Would you do it? I mean, giving up a nice set as the Crawler for the Taj?