10262 - James Bond Aston Martin DB5

Val-E

11 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

Beauty is in the eyes of beholder...

considering rarity and price of this car......it’s a beautiful thing. 

The Lagonda only rare because no one bought it and the few that were built broke down!

The design team may or may not have had a serious coke problem when they conjured up that one. Plus they managed to make a really long car with no usable boot space or rear legroom.

Edited by Val-E

Guest TabbyBoy
48 minutes ago, grabbitfast said:

looks like a custom build by a two year old.

Fixed it 4U...

Seriously, that can’t be the final model. However, it could be very rare as it’s so fugly that nobody will buy it, I certainly won’t out of principle. There’s no way I’m walking to the car with that thing under my arm. What if I get seen? The shame of it!

26 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Fixed it 4U...

Seriously, that can’t be the final model. However, it could be very rare as it’s so fugly that nobody will buy it, I certainly won’t out of principle. There’s no way I’m walking to the car with that thing under my arm. What if I get seen? The shame of it!

Wasn´t a problem with Heartlake Riding Club....

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Fixed it 4U...

You'd be expelled from Reading local community as a lower class peasant.
th?id=OIP.ZEdhMQKiFIz_3sR5XOCRHAHaF7

There are some areas where I wish it were possible to transition smoother but making subtle curves with LEGO is tricky business and we all know that. Anyhow I am certain Aston Martin had a say in the design process considering it is their automobile. If anybody can do better I would gladly see it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, TheOrcKing said:

There are some areas where I wish it were possible to transition smoother but making subtle curves with LEGO is tricky business and we all know that. Anyhow I am certain Aston Martin had a say in the design process considering it is their automobile. If anybody can do better I would gladly see it.

I think the transitions aren't that problematic.

Unless it's the camera angle, it looks like the proportions are off because of how they designed the grill and hood. To be proportional at that height, the car needs to be somewhat wider, maybe longer, and with more clearance.  Which probably pushes the price into UCS or high-end Ideas range.

There are lots of examples of simpler, fig-scale builds getting the lines right at the expense of fine details.

• Like 1

The bumper does come out a bit far forward, the grille could be a smidge wider, and the overall body frame maybe lower/sleeker altogether rounder. Perhaps a shame Bond's car is not famously the Lotus Esprit S1 from The Spy Who Loved Me, LEGO may have been more flawless recreating that amphibious automobile.

As the DB5 is a beautiful car, I tried looking up an image of the car for comparison sake.  This link was the first to appear: https://jalopnik.com/the-leaked-aston-martin-db5-lego-kit-looks-like-its-in-1827377851

Admittedly, I think the scale LEGO chose is working against them in this instance.  With such curves as the original has, LEGO would either end up with way more pieces or have to go to a larger model.  And if the price is really $140-$150ish already, I can't imagine what a higher piece count would end up costing.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

They should've asked the guy who designed the IDEAS E-Type to help, but it seems like only Stevie Wonder was available.

This model obviously has some of the car's functions, which warranted some compromise on design. The bumper is sticking out to hide the license plate mechanism: if you look closely, the license late is on an axle. The machine guns are likely hidden under the hood, and given the construction of the roof the ejector seat is working.

So this model has to be evaluated differently from the other Expert vehicles because they do not have any functions. If everything works as intended, this is a great set.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, inversion said:

This model obviously has some of the car's functions, which warranted some compromise on design. The bumper is sticking out to hide the license plate mechanism: if you look closely, the license late is on an axle. The machine guns are likely hidden under the hood, and given the construction of the roof the ejector seat is working.

Do you think TLG allowed machine guns to be added to this model?  While I would love to see them, I have a lot of doubt.  

Guest TabbyBoy

Since this DB5 looks like yet another disaster, it'll be gone before the Mini. The VW Camper is here for another decade so no point mentioning that anymore.

007, the shortest running theme ever?