Visiting Billund: Is everything awesome at LEGO HQ?

henrysunset

While I'm an undisputed "Lifetime LEGO Lover", I just visited Billund for the first time as part of the Fan Media Days event.  

opengraph-Billund_LEGO_LAND.jpg

My Impressions:
Billund is a magical town where the bakery is perfect, the streets are clean and freshly paved, and everyone you meet is wearing the classic Minifigure smile. The town of Billund is quite literally LEGO land — the center of town where City Hall used to be has even been replaced by the magnificent LEGO House!  Don't forget the very first LEGOLAND theme park, as well as the headquarters of the LEGO Group.

The highlight for me was definitely the new LEGO House.  It is architecturally interesting, and it's an amazing ambassador of the LEGO Brand.  I was impressed by how effectively the building focuses on the core aspects of the LEGO brand like creativity, learning, and play — rather than showcasing the latest licensed products.

1h2way87tpfu.png
Behind-the-scenes look at the beautifully decorated employee cantina.

To be fair, the town feels a bit strange, since it's effectively a modern factory town that's a bit hard to escape.  no wonder many LEGO employees live pretty far from Billund to get a break from the place where everything is awesome all-the-time.

For a much more in-depth account of my experiences (both good and bad), I shared a longer version of this article at Brick Architect.

Sincerely,
---tom

P.S. While it's been exciting to share my initial impressions, I'd also love to hear your impressions of Billund, LEGOLAND, and the new LEGO House museum!  What did you like best, what could be improved, or what unexpected surprises did you find in the home of the LEGO brick?

• Like 4

I visited Billund (both LEGO Land and the LEGO House) last May and I totally loved it. My kids were enjoying LEGO Land more, but as AFOL I was definitely enjoying the day at the LEGO House better. 

What I liked about the LEGO House? Too much to enumerate! The central Tree of Creativity. The hall with the three dinosaurs and the AFOL-made MOCs, the hall with the huge scenes with so many details to find, the hall with the interactive LEGO, the Museum in the cellar...