71043 - Hogwarts Castle

Darth_Raichu

My kids and I love Lego and Harry Potter. We even watched all the movies again while building the new sets a few days ago and none of us are impressed by this. My kids 8 and 11 both said not worth it within a second.

My daughter has always picked winning sets also and not been interested in ones that don’t end up doing well, so I will always trust her opinion over any others :)

I agree with tabby 6,000 pieces of this can’t be compared to other similar piece sized sets. It should be by weight. All these pieces are small. If I’m spending $400 this needs to be something my family can enjoy like the Disney castle.

8 hours ago, buidee said:

I hope they include some sort of unique Harry Potter Promo on September 1 to go along with the castle

Yes, just like the Wintersoldier with the Helicarrier... and after 6 months give it for free at every 55 euro spent... 

I never buy at release date anymore when Lego offers a 'exclusive minifigure'. Exclusivity seems no guarantee whatsoever at Lego...

I'm only bummed the coat of arms for each house are stickers instead of printed plates. Still a well done build.

15 hours ago, belljohn said:

I cringe to think what the sticker sheet looks like on this set.  The images seem to show stickers for almost every interior detail and house emblems for the founders.  Worse than the Maersk ya think?

I don't know if anything can ever reach the sticker shock levels of the Creator Maersk liner but this could be a contender. Haha.

I hate to be this way, because I really wanted to like this set, but I find myself in the camp that is a bit disappointed with the outcome.  

If they were going to do a partial castle (no matter how well that partial castle is done) and also create some play features, I really feel they should have gone minifig scale.  I'm betting they could have done this portion of the castle at minifig scale, along with 10-15 figures, for around $600.  I would expect the same level of quality as achieved with the Disney Castle or the GBHQ, and I would have been much more excited about that set.

Once it became clear that they were going microfig scale, I expected a complete Hogwarts, including the entire castle, the greenhouses, Quidditch pitch, attached grounds with Hagrid's hut and Whomping Willow, maybe even a bit of forest edge, etc.  

Instead, they've done something in between these two concepts, and I think it misfires.  While various memorable scenes are recreated, I question how much play value ever exists with microfigs.  I would like to appreciate it along the lines of an Architecture set, but there's no back of the castle. 

I guess I was looking forward to an "ultimate" Hogwarts, and this isn't quite it...and the eventual accumulation of these new system scale sets won't be either.

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy
27 minutes ago, Dr Jedi said:

I hate to be this way, because I really wanted to like this set, but I find myself in the camp that is a bit disappointed with the outcome.  

If they were going to do a partial castle (no matter how well that partial castle is done) and also create some play features, I really feel they should have gone minifig scale.  I'm betting they could have done this portion of the castle at minifig scale, along with 10-15 figures, for around $600.  I would expect the same level of quality as achieved with the Disney Castle or the GBHQ, and I would have been much more excited about that set.

Once it became clear that they were going microfig scale, I expected a complete Hogwarts, including the entire castle, the greenhouses, Quidditch pitch, attached grounds with Hagrid's hut and Whomping Willow, maybe even a bit of forest edge, etc.  

Instead, they've done something in between these two concepts, and I think it misfires.  While various memorable scenes are recreated, I question how much play value ever exists with microfigs.  I would like to appreciate it along the lines of an Architecture set, but there's no back of the castle. 

I guess I was looking forward to an "ultimate" Hogwarts, and this isn't quite it...and the eventual accumulation of these new system scale sets won't be either.

I'm the same, LEGO have missed a golden opportunity to "wow" us and have failed yet again. Those up top really need their heads banged together - hard!

1 hour ago, Dr Jedi said:

If they were going to do a partial castle (no matter how well that partial castle is done) and also create some play features, I really feel they should have gone minifig scale.  I'm betting they could have done this portion of the castle at minifig scale, along with 10-15 figures, for around $600.  

Are you for real, for this to be proper minifig scale it would need to be 15,000 pieces, are you going to pay $1,200 for this, because that's what you would be spending. 

36 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I'm the same, LEGO have missed a golden opportunity to "wow" us and have failed yet again. Those up top really need their heads banged together - hard!

C'mon Tabby, now you're just trolling, they've done a bloody fantastic job here, I've already shown it to half a dozen people in work this morning, and the reaction across the board was "wow". It's Lego, it's never going to make every single person happy, but it's there to be built upon and improved, you just have fun doing it.

You said before you were a massive Harry Potter fan and now when they bring out a great set like this and a pretty good range in general, you're just negative about it. Harry Potter is still huge and I can't wait until my kids are a little older so I can start reading the series to them and eventually bring them to Universal to see the Harry Potter section there. This theme will do well, especially considering the Great Hall and Hogwarts Express are actually reasonably priced for what they are

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

Are you for real, for this to be proper minifig scale it would need to be 15,000 pieces, are you going to pay $1,200 for this, because that's what you would be spending. 

C'mon Tabby, now you're just trolling, they've done a bloody fantastic job here, I've already shown it to half a dozen people in work this morning, and the reaction across the board was "wow". It's Lego, it's never going to make every single person happy, but it's there to be built upon and improved, you just have fun doing it.

You said before you were a massive Harry Potter fan and now when they bring out a great set like this and a pretty good range in general, you're just negative about it. Harry Potter is still huge and I can't wait until my kids are a little older so I can start reading the series to them and eventually bring them to Universal to see the Harry Potter section there. This theme will do well, especially considering the Great Hall and Hogwarts Express are actually reasonably priced for what they are

Plenty of folks here underwhelmed by this, not just Tabby. 

This should be minifig scale. It won't even pair with the other HP sets at this scale. 

5 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

And how many people do you see paying between $1,200 and $1,500 for this as a minifig scale set, because that's what it would need to be

Smaller castle. They managed to do it for Disney, they could do it here. Maybe $500-600. Plenty of folks have stated the same here and on twitter so it's a fairly obvious solution. But then of course another group will scream 'why was this left out?' So kudos to everyone happy with micro style I guess. 

Maybe I’m just easy to please here but WOW just WOW. This Hogwarts Castle set is truly Epic and I  Can’t wait to build it! 

I understand the expectation for this set was Big almost too big considering how many Elaborate Mocs we’ve all seen at Lego conventions thoughout the years, but for the average Joe Harry Potter Fan AFOL That could never afford to Build or even afford the space needed to display a full on minifigure Castle in the first place, this micro scale approach solved a lot of problems that go along with big moc builds and big boxes...I think the 75192 was a tipping point for where the boundaries are to distribution of such a large set, and this micro scale Collectors set solves all of it. 

Im Glad there are exclusive minifigs in there, but it just gives me incentive to collect the others. 

Im also glad Disney doesn’t own this license otherwise it be $600 rather than $400-lol 

GO UNIVERSAL!!!

So many epic collectible sets this year...the Roller coaster, the Bugatti, the DB5, voltron just showed up this morning...Cloud city around the Corner Now This...what can I say? ...”WOW”...Just “WOW”

i might even shed a tear of happiness 

lol

• Like 1

Smaller castle. They managed to do it for Disney, they could do it here. Maybe $500-600. Plenty of folks have stated the same here and on twitter so it's a fairly obvious solution. But then of course another group will scream 'why was this left out?' So kudos to everyone happy with micro style I guess. 

There’s a big difference between Disney and Hogwarts castles: Disney has a much smaller footprint and greater height. It’s all vertical, which means piece count goes down (or at least smaller pieces) as the build goes up. Hogwarts is sprawling. It’s footprint is huge! And that means piece count/size is more consistent throughout. Thus, it would be way more expensive! Not to mention the difference in price between 20 nanos and 20 minis!

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, marcandre said:

I don't think you could do this smaller without it losing the wow factor of the building itself. The Disney castle looks right at this scale, but I think with Hogwarts, they either had to go with the microfigure or scale it up to minifig at a price which would have put it out of reach of most people.

• Like 1

As a stand alone piece it's great. It's just not going to pair well with any other HP set. How many have there been, 100? The grandest HP set of all will be dwarfed by the train rolling up, and minifigs will look like giants. 

I get the compromise just don't care for it. They are not having trouble selling a $800 spaceship. HP fans are just as rabid as SW, maybe more. It would have sold. 

3 hours ago, marcandre said:

As a stand alone piece it's great. It's just not going to pair well with any other HP set. How many have there been, 100? The grandest HP set of all will be dwarfed by the train rolling up, and minifigs will look like giants. 

I get the compromise just don't care for it. They are not having trouble selling a $800 spaceship. HP fans are just as rabid as SW, maybe more. It would have sold. 

Just buy 30154 and customize in RED.....BAM.....HW Express.

• Like 1

I hate Harry Potter, but I really like this set.  I think the micro-scale minifigs are pretty awesome and the design is impressive enough.  I guess they could have made a $700-$800 version that was regular minifigure scale and like 8000 pieces, but this will do.  Display wise, it's a home run...play wise, it is not.  This is like a Harry Potty Architecture set.  Maybe that's why I like it.  

• Thanks 1