71043 - Hogwarts Castle

Darth_Raichu

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else built this yet?

This was a rare day 1 purchase for me. I just finished it last night - took about a week to build it and savor it a bit. My 10 year old son was able to negotiate building every third bag (there are 37 bags total), so when he was not building he was in my office every 5 minutes checking on my progress. 

As a Potter fan I think it's just a spectacular set and design. I feel like it will hold up as quite iconic on future top-10 lists. It has a great mix of small scenes/locations fans of the book will cherish, a number of clever building techniques and new pieces, and overall a lack of repetitive sections which kept it feeling fresh to me. 

Anyway I was quite glad I bought it and actually built it vs. keeping in the box like most of my collection. Is it completely perfect? No. Are there a lot of stickers? Yes. All things considered though I think they pulled off an awesome winner given the size, piece count, price combo. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, nolanfan34 said:

My son's 14th B-Day is Friday and he is getting one of these! I can't wait for him to tear into it!! We've already started prepping the spot for it, but we just tell him we're cleaning and reorganizing. Excited!! :hyper:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nolanfan34 said:

This was a rare day 1 purchase for me. I just finished it last night - took about a week to build it and savor it a bit. My 10 year old son was able to negotiate building every third bag (there are 37 bags total), so when he was not building he was in my office every 5 minutes checking on my progress. 

As a Potter fan I think it's just a spectacular set and design. I feel like it will hold up as quite iconic on future top-10 lists. It has a great mix of small scenes/locations fans of the book will cherish, a number of clever building techniques and new pieces, and overall a lack of repetitive sections which kept it feeling fresh to me. 

Anyway I was quite glad I bought it and actually built it vs. keeping in the box like most of my collection. Is it completely perfect? No. Are there a lot of stickers? Yes. All things considered though I think they pulled off an awesome winner given the size, piece count, price combo. 

Yes , I did . In case you missed all of my posts in the build thread ? 

• Like 1

Still can't believe they include Hagrid's hut but not Hagrid.

By the way it probably won't happen but it'd be cool if with all the regular minifig scale sets, each came with a small exclusive microscale build (like the hut or tree) or even just an exclusive microfig, to fill out the castle with. Sorta like how some action figure lines each come with a body part to build a larger figure if you collect the whole wave.

Edited by Stud-Flipper

21 minutes ago, Stud-Flipper said:

By the way it probably won't happen but it'd be cool if with all the regular minifig scale sets, each came with a small exclusive microscale build (like the hut or tree) or even just an exclusive microfig, to fill out the castle with. Sorta like how some action figure lines each come with a body part to build a larger figure if you collect the whole wave.

That's a really good idea.

1 hour ago, Stud-Flipper said:

It is true, I should have mentioned that, completely unacceptable to not have Hagrid. 

And your idea is a fun one, I agree. 

2 hours ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Yes , I did . In case you missed all of my posts in the build thread ? 

Which I clearly did. ?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, dmind said:

Spotted the set on all EU Amazon sites. So far, max 16% discount. But will likely be much more discounted coming months. Wouldn't be surprised to see 40% discount any time soon.

That's the point at which I'll buy two (which will be the limit of course).

• 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, amrandazz said:

Totally missed the memo on this one. Is this done?

It is more likely that we are experiencing a significant shortage with a lot of different Lego currently, especially exclusives as they aren't found in the wild of brick and mortar Targets and Walmarts.

Unless Lego is pulling a quick one on everyone and changing up the way they retire sets.

There are a lot of sets "sold out".  I'm hoping it's due to Coronavirus delays (production, shipping, warehouse, etc.) and not really done - done. 

Besides that, there are a lot of sets sitting in stores as LEGO was one of the first to just close all stores.  I wonder if there will be a run on them when they reopen.

2 hours ago, JoshB said:

Everything I see is Temporarily Out of Stock. They will be back.

Maybe not everything though, so I'd grab expected retirements sooner than later. This virus may affect supply until November & by that time some sets will already be sold out. Then LEGO will only tag them as retiring soon & it's done. Watch the price skyrocket then...

3 hours ago, Huskers1236 said:

I know I saw a MOC for the 2nd half of 71043, does anyone have info for it anywhere?  I can't remember where I even saw it.

I'm not sure if this is the 2nd half, looks more like "the other 3/4".

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-30884/Playwell Bricks/hogwarts-castle-71043-epic-extension/#comments

pics of above: 

Hogwart's Castle Epic Extension

Edited by exracer327

3 hours ago, exracer327 said:

I'm not sure if this is the 2nd half, looks more like "the other 3/4".

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-30884/Playwell Bricks/hogwarts-castle-71043-epic-extension/#comments

pics of above: 

Hogwart's Castle Epic Extension

Thanks, I did end up having luck on the Google machine finding this after I posed the question.  3/4 is right, this is way bigger than I thought it was and with the recent uptick in prices, buying a 2nd set to get many of the parts is a no go anymore unless stock re-emerges afterwards.  Not sure I want to drop over $1000 to finish the castle, but it is an intriguing project.