Interview with Rok Zgalin Kobe on the LEGO Architecture sets!

henrysunset

I had so much fun interviewing Rok Zgalin Kobe about the LEGO Architecture theme earlier this year.  It's rare to get an opportunity to get inside the minds of the creative genius designers at LEGO, so I thought you might enjoy some selected highlights from my interview!

opengraph-Rok_%C5%BDgalin_Kobe-640x336.j
Highlights from: ɪɴᴛᴇʀᴠɪᴇᴡ: Rok Žgalin Kobe on LEGO Architecture

I started with the same question I asked Jamie - how do you decide what building to make into a LEGO Architecture set? Is it based on market research, your passion, or to coincide with when a new LEGO store is opening?

Rok Žgalin Kobe: "It’s actually a combination of them all, and really depends on the model. One might stem from a good idea of a great model that we think is feasible, another might stem from the underlying ... We need to take into account everything from how many sets we’ll have that year, and the price points we would like to have them at, to how the overall portfolio looks like. Of course, we are glad for the ones that just work out."

He brought a few prototypes of both the LEGO House set, and the Guggenheim model.  It was interesting to learn how he balances literal accuracy with matching the mind of the builder when designing something like the LEGO House.

JB2A0048-1-600x493.jpg

I also enjoyed learning about how teams like Architecture collaborate a lot with other teams, including Creator Expert where he has helped on sets like Downtown Diner.  I also enjoyed the deeper look at a few specific sets like Statue of Liberty, Great Wall, and the Guggenheim.  Rok shared some of the unique challenges and pleasures in being one of the few people at LEGO with a background in Architecture.  The whole interview includes more photos of the Guggenheim and LEGO House prototypes.

Sincerely,
---tom

P.S. For practical reasons, these were just a few of my favorite excerpts from the full interview at brickarchitect.com website.  I hope you enjoyed the stories behind these great LEGO sets!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, henrysunset said:

I forgot to ask—What was the most interesting thing you learned in these interviews?  (I'm always trying to learn how to ask better questions.)

The prototyping process.  I think its interesting that the designers both (Rok & Jamie) start with the "look" then work backwards to build and refine the internal structure to meet guidelines.  I'd be curious to know how much of that is done themselves, or by team subordinates.

TLG has historically been very tight about releasing images of the prototypes of sets.  I think that there's actually some really good information there that can help AFOLs and TFOLs build better MOCs.

• Like 2