STAR WARS IX - "The Rise of Skywalker" - Movie Discussion

exciter1

4 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I’ve given it months to soak in. But I just can’t behind this trilogy. It’s just bad. Maybe I’m saltier than Crait, but it just doesn’t work for me.

I agree, the more time that has passed the more I've soured on the film and the trilogy even more. My kids don't care about Star Wars and no one ever talks about it. Disney was handed this really great opportunity and they fumbled it almost as badly as they could have. They need a complete refresh and new people in charge.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

I gave TROS another chance today. Still like it much better than TLJ but it kinda still sucks.  Such a waste of Ford, Fisher,  & Hamill.  

as others have stated, the last 2 films were a mess. 

My wife said they would have been better if they left the classic characters out of these. They were wasted and it felt like they were shoe horned in.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

My wife said they would have been better if they left the classic characters out of these. They were wasted and it felt like they were shoe horned in.

Agreed.  I understand the need for nostalgia & old characters to appear in the name of cash grab, but there are other in universe ways to achieve their inclusion. 

They could have made movies that took place 100 years after RotJ.   The original characters could have appeared via 3D Jedi holocron or archival videos.  Heck, make a holodeck training room like in Star Trek and have hologram Luke, Leia, or even Yoda teach Rey. 

I mean, what if in his old age, Han created an instructional video on how to be a smuggler, complete with instructions to fly a MF? A young junk trader watches that video everyday and dreams to fly away from her dessert hellhole of a planet. etc etc etc

That 100 years also would have given the writers room to make up a bunch of believable s**t on why the new Republic was thriving/failing/invaded/corrupted (pick one or all). ie some kind of reason why FO existed.  
That 100 years would have been an ample time to create books, TV series, prequels, in other words to make a new SW universe

The lack of creativity in writing is baffling. There were so many possibilities and they picked the laziest one

• Like 3

Or they could have just recast the original characters.  Or like you said, just fast forward 100 years, all the others are dead... new story.  However, that was not Kennedy's way.  She needed a god-like woman to become the face of Star Wars.  I actually feel badly for the main actors.  This series could have been so much more but it killed them just as Disney killed the characters we love.

7 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Agreed.  I understand the need for nostalgia & old characters to appear in the name of cash grab, but there are other in universe ways to achieve their inclusion. 

They could have made movies that took place 100 years after RotJ.   The original characters could have appeared via 3D Jedi holocron or archival videos.  Heck, make a holodeck training room like in Star Trek and have hologram Luke, Leia, or even Yoda teach Rey. 

I mean, what if in his old age, Han created an instructional video on how to be a smuggler, complete with instructions to fly a MF? A young junk trader watches that video everyday and dreams to fly away from her dessert hellhole of a planet. etc etc etc

That 100 years also would have given the writers room to make up a bunch of believable s**t on why the new Republic was thriving/failing/invaded/corrupted (pick one or all). ie some kind of reason why FO existed.  
That 100 years would have been an ample time to create books, TV series, prequels, in other words to make a new SW universe

The lack of creativity in writing is baffling. There were so many possibilities and they picked the laziest one

Watched RoS again last night...

At one point right after the Pasaana Festival scene Finn says something along the lines of "Rey, I never had a chance to tell you", then they get swallowed up in the ground in the quicksand, or whatever scene... Later Rey asks Finn what he wanted to tell her, And he says later or something...

To my knowledge the subject never comes up again. What was Finn goes to tell Rey? Did I miss something?

5 minutes ago, KvHulk said:

Watched RoS again last night...

At one point right after the Pasaana Festival scene Finn says something along the lines of "Rey, I never had a chance to tell you", then they get swallowed up in the ground in the quicksand, or whatever scene... Later Rey asks Finn what he wanted to tell her, And he says later or something...

To my knowledge the subject never comes up again. What was Finn goes to tell Rey? Did I miss something?

He wants to tell her he's force sensitive. He alludes to it several times "I feel it", throughout the movie.

9 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

He wants to tell her he's force sensitive. He alludes to it several times "I feel it", throughout the movie.

They addressed this outside the movie, much like Max’ story for another time about how she had Luke’s lighsaber. Its kind of ballsy how they admit so many times in the films how bad their writing is. 

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

I finally got to see the movie after all this time (for various reasons) and I really enjoyed it.  That is all.  

I enjoyed it a lot too; especially on the 2nd viewing.

Anyone going to watch blockbuster Sci-Fi expecting a great overall movie is fooling themselves...the typical movie budget is all about the big scene effects...so go to see that and you will not be disappointed...expecting a great storyline and awesome plot AND acting is not a realistic expectation in my opinion.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...