10263 - Winter Village Fire Station

eliminator

14 hours ago, tacsniper said:

I like it. Just wish the station have a bit more depth. Get rid of the ice rank and the tree and spend more effort on the station. I was expecting something more complete, perhaps, like the Bakery or Toy Shop? They can always sell a Christmas Tree as a polybag.

Regarding the ice rink, I can't help but feel that its inclusion forced a non-preferred trade-off (in my opinion) to the other builds within this set.  I would have liked to have seen the firetruck look a little more... 'complete'.  That opinion could come from the fact that when others were posting pictures of the firetruck from 10197 Fire Brigade, my mental baseline got set.  Now that I see the stock photo shots of the firetruck from 10263 Winter Village Fire Station, I just see it as "okay".  It's not awful, but it feels kind of small and something feels awkward with the ladder (either in the way it would be used or stored, or where a minifigure would sit... I'm not sure what I don't like about it yet).

I think the existence of an ice rink in a multi-set Winter Village display is a nice thing, but I would have preferred to purchase it separately, like 40262: Christmas Train Ride or 40263: Christmas Town Square.  In fact, it would be nice to see more $9.99 seasonal sets to serve as add-ons to a growing winter village.

The two sitting on the park bench I really appreciate.  I love the saxophone.  It totally reminds me of a couple years ago in Marco Island Florida during Christmas where one of the tenants of my folks place was playing Christmas music on his sax.   When combined with the street light the bench scene provides a Hans Christian-Anderson kind of look/feel.  It's appropriate and can stand on its own as a nice inclusion to an overall multi-set Creator Expert Winter Village.  I will be purchasing this set for my wife, it's an annual tradition.  This set has more that I like than dislike, so that's positive.

Compare.png

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Stud-Flipper said:
I believe you mean Footloose. Leatherneck was the infantry trooper replacement for him a couple seasons/figure waves later. As such, they had similar looks.

You’re absolutely right. It is Footloose. The first result on Google for Footloose from the cartoon is from that meme. Good call!

70c7b214a10b7bde2265f691e60d6220.jpg

I wish I Netflix or Amazon Prime was streaming the cartoon. I’d love to pull those out for my kids to watch.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

My Fire Brigades are safe. Phew! 

Are you sure? I'd not risk holding for too long in case they're resurrected soon ?

If only they could've done a better job with the rear wheel arch, thus:

image.png.a75da81f5c931161328f3581147bc0ce.png

44 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Are you sure? I'd not risk holding for too long in case they're resurrected soon ?

If only they could've done a better job with the rear wheel arch, thus:

image.png.a75da81f5c931161328f3581147bc0ce.png

I've been lazy telling myself to wait until the holidays to unload my old stock. Been doing that for the past few years now with no luck. haha

With the exception of that wheel arch you mentioned, I actually like the little fire truck. That ladder is pretty cool. Adds a little functionality for the kids. 

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, melting said:

Gotta agree. Looks better on the box.

LEGO should issue a warning...

"CAUTION... Opening this box may cause disappointment and we are not liable for any distress caused"

Well. the truck and the tree are pretty awful - The look/facade of the firehouse looks good, but something about the interior just looks like nothing.

I am not sure if it is just me, but I used to get a sense of magic from these sets (that now looks to be gone) - I think I will go back to look at videos of the earlier WV sets to see if it's me that has changed or if it's the sets.

10229-1.png10235-1.png10259-1.original.png10199-1.png10222-1.png10216-1.png

48 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I didn´t want to say anything but there is more than a little WVM in this set in terms of mini builds and price point and we all know how that set became subprime post EOL.

I think that the WVM post EOL performance had little to do with the WVM - and much more to do with the LEGO Toy Shop rehash.

That decision has slammed the breaks on many valuations - Gone forever, Gone Forevermore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KShine said:

I think that the WVM post EOL performance had little to do with the WVM - and much more to do with the LEGO Toy Shop rehash.

That decision has slammed the breaks on many valuations - Gone forever, Gone Forevermore.

WVM was subprime well before WTS remake came out. WTS2.0 and SW both did better than WVM too. I think the price was a bit on the high side and people just didn´t go for all the mini builds.

There is a lot of 'classic' touches throughout the set between the odd tree using an altercation to the old method with angled plates going off in each of the cardinal directions, the laddered vintage fire engine having little purpose than getting a cat out of a tree, the fire station's architecture inspired by a design style possibly even older than Fire Brigade's, and finally the fire fighter minifigures sporting an updated take on their original black & gold outfits.

The Christmas tree here is unusual and for some reason takes me back to the Charlie Brown holiday special in the lot with all those plastic trees but again, an old build method revisited. The interior is minimal same as the other Winter Village builds. Only thing I find lacking is the snow. The bases for each section are made of frost yet very little elsewhere seemingly due to the main build's style leaving a tiny amount of roofing for said snow to actually be applied across compared to the sloped ones from prior housing.

In any case, I would gladly accept this over another simple slightly tweaked re-release.

6 minutes ago, Val-E said:

It is weird they released it just as they are putting out a new City firestation. Different buyers, granted, but the price points are very similar so there could be some cannibalisation of sales.

I think there has pretty much always been a new City Fire Station being released.

• Like 1