10268 - Vestas Wind Turbine

HandyHand

it does say NOTHING about possible recharging of connected batteries.. 

13 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Surprised your heart survived the shock of the price tag. I still reckon a fat finger stuck and extra 9 on there somewhere.

They probably do not care about the price.. this is not a set for kids.. and having inflated RRP gives you a lot of room for seasonal discounts later on.. and still being pretty much comfy with a profit

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:01 AM, Val-E said:

US $199.99 - CA $249.99 - DE 179.99€ - FR 179.99€ - UK £159.99 - AU $329.99 - DK 1499.00DKK

Available on the 23rd of November.

Build and discover the iconic Vestas Wind Turbine!

Celebrate green energy innovation with the LEGO Creator Expert 10268 Vestas Wind Turbine. Developed in partnership with Vestas, this detailed, motorized LEGO model captures the elegance and graceful movement of a traditional wind turbine and features a new-for-January 2019 spruce tree, manufactured from sustainably sourced plant-based plastic. At approximately 39” (1m) high, the structure towers above a wooded hill and a house with furnished patio, mailbox, flowers and a white picket fence. Turn the nacelle left or right and switch on the included Power Functions motor to rotate the adjustable wind turbine blades and illuminate the cottage’s porch light.

Still the old PF version.

Excellent malinvestment bait to pull some rookie fish out of the overcrowded investors' pond.

20 hours ago, tacsniper said:

Does it include a mini solar panel to run it? It will be kind of counter intuitive to use batteries to run a wind turbine that is suppose to be "environmentally friendly" while the consumers use battery cells to run the power functions that is harmful to the environment.

I have the original solar panel set .. it was a pretty crappy solar panel back then. Bright sun or a really bright halogen light right up to the panel would provide enough power to turn a medium LEGO motor fast enough to spin the Fairground Mixer. 

I'm sure they could have improved it by now and included the panel for pretty cheap, but the 'controller' may have been more of a challenge to do reasonably priced. Maybe they planned on doing this and forgot to adjust the price when they weren't ready in time and dropped from the set? /s

it looks decent if priced at $125.
at least it's not a "redo" or another 10188 design.   
Tree hugging AFOLs will love it.
i'm really interested in this new material's feeling and clutching power compared to normal ABS
It is the same ABS. Same chemical. It is just synthesized from different source materials, all plant based. In other words: no oil needs to be extracted from below ground, which is "eco", but the resulting material still pollutes.

3 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

Is it just me, or is the design and building techniques used on the small red house form the 1970s?  I could swear I built that same house 40 years ago.

4999 is a 2008 set (I think) so a little old. But yea I was using those roof slopes in the early 80s. Def an old style lego house.

6 hours ago, Val-E said:

Renewable energy is always more expensive.

Onshore wind is now cheaper than coal fired power generation, offshore wind has passed nuclear power and not far off competing with coal. Vestas also just announced yesterday that they have passed the 10MW wind turbine, a huge leap considering that less than 10 years ago the largest capacity turbine was 3MW.

4 hours ago, nolanfan34 said:

I know Vestas is more of a brand outside of the US, but I don't understand who the market is for this one. Especially at that price.

Vestas are in the process of application/proposing and have approval for constructing offshore wind farms off the east coast of the states. Think licences have been granted for Boston and North/South Carolina coastal areas

Vestas are in the process of application/proposing and have approval for constructing offshore wind farms off the east coast of the states. Think licences have been granted for Boston and North/South Carolina coastal areas

They’ve (or it may be another similar company) been working with Clemson University and wind production off shore here for quite some time. They ever pull the trigger, I wonder who they’ll hire to shuttle people out there? ;)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1