10268 - Vestas Wind Turbine

HandyHand

15 hours ago, CrabslayerT said:

Vestas are in the process of application/proposing and have approval for constructing offshore wind farms off the east coast of the states. Think licences have been granted for Boston and North/South Carolina coastal areas

I go to the NC outer banks several times a year. We pass a big field with at least 50 of these fans on the way, maybe 30 minutes or so from the coast. Not sure if they are vesta tho. 

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
24 minutes ago, marcandre said:

I go to the NC outer banks several times a year. We pass a big field with at least 50 of these fans on the way, maybe 30 minutes or so from the coast. Not sure if they are vesta tho. 

Only 50? The Kent coast in the UK has literally hundreds of these clustered together. Even though I like this set (yes, one I actually like!), I'm on the fence. It could easily be massively overproduced/hoarded/unwanted or in short supply and sought after by companies who will pay through the nose to show their "green credentials" and put it on display. I'll likely get one if big discounts kick in.

My only memory of "Vestas" was when I used a Swan match to light my Xmas cigar about 30 years ago!

22 hours ago, nolanfan34 said:

I know Vestas is more of a brand outside of the US, but I don't understand who the market is for this one. Especially at that price.

I was curious .. in southern Manitoba we have two wind farms. One has 60 Siemens and the other 73 Vestas wind turbines.

But yeah, the price blows me away.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, marcandre said:

5 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Only 50? The Kent coast in the UK has literally hundreds of these clustered together. Even though I like this set (yes, one I actually like!), I'm on the fence. It could easily be massively overproduced/hoarded/unwanted or in short supply and sought after by companies who will pay through the nose to show their "green credentials" and put it on display. I'll likely get one if big discounts kick in.

My only memory of "Vestas" was when I used a Swan match to light my Xmas cigar about 30 years ago!

5 hours ago, marcandre said:

There could easily be more than that. It's just what I see from the road, they are far off. 

Edit - It's called Amazon Wind Farm East. 104 fans. Yes that Amazon. Fans are Gamesa. 

4 hours ago, gregpj said:

I was curious .. in southern Manitoba we have two wind farms. One has 60 Siemens and the other 73 Vestas wind turbines.

But yeah, the price blows me away.

Yes gentlemen, it's BIG business! Lots of well paid management, technicians and support staff. If you're looking for a set that will have appeal in a well paid market, this is the one. 

As for the kent coast tabby, your looking at London array windfarm. My employer has a good few boats servicing that site. I'm currently working on walney windfarm, the largest in the world at the moment, around 190 turbines plus 108 on Dutton sands, and if you include barrow and Ormond there's a total of 360ish. Plans for dogger bank have passed, 2000ish and a man-made island complete with airport, harbour, hotels, bars, etc. That's just a small section of the UK, never mind Holland, Belgium, Denmark, France......

What I'm trying to say is; this will have appeal and continue to do so. Wind energy is an ever expanding industry which covers the best part of the western world. This will sell!

1 minute ago, justapilgrim said:

easy pass

However it passes the Wind Farm CEO desk test and all those guys are making so much money from government grants they don´t know what to do with it so they will sell a few to that demographic.

For the general public, a fart in a lift will be more popular.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
5 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

"This element made from plants" ....Huh, just what I always wanted; LEGO to smell of fresh pine and aloe vera. Well for anyone with dogs may want to keep them away from this LEGO tree as they might try and use it like a real one.

LEGO elements have always come from plants - well, sort of. As far as I'm aware, ABS is oil based and where does oil come from?

2 minutes ago, Phil B said:
13 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:
LEGO elements have always come from plants - well, sort of. As far as I'm aware, ABS is oil based and where does oil come from?

God put it in the ground 7000 years ago when He created the earth, for men to find and put to its best use.

so he waited till the Dinos went extinct. ? Cant trust that T-Rex with oil i guess. :P

I think the plant piece is great. At least they are trying something. I imagine there are more than a couple lego pieces in the great pacific garbage patch. 
As I mentioned before, still the same ABS, so they still end up in the GPGP, no matter whether the source components are derived from oil or plants.

Guest TabbyBoy
3 hours ago, Phil B said:

God put it in the ground 7000 years ago when He created the earth, for men to find and put to its best use.

Who? I've never heard of him ?

On 9/28/2018 at 10:22 AM, Phil B said:
On 9/28/2018 at 8:24 AM, marcandre said:
I think the plant piece is great. At least they are trying something. I imagine there are more than a couple lego pieces in the great pacific garbage patch. 

As I mentioned before, still the same ABS, so they still end up in the GPGP, no matter whether the source components are derived from oil or plants.

Right...tricky marketing.  Unless these plant pieces start to break down sooner than the traditional polyethylene.

• 2 months later...

It's too bad this isn't distributed through other retail locations to more easily apply discounts or coupons.  I like the concept and look but as we've said, simply cannot justify the price.  Interesting there are 7 people watching the lowest price listing on eBay right now, which for me is about $250 shipped.  I guess they forgot you can still order from Lego direct LEGO Shop at Home... in-stock, $199.99 + tax.  Kind of funny the Lego LEGO Shop at Home page still says Limit 2... Maybe I'll get one on a LEGO Shop at Home Black Friday deal in a year or two.

45 minutes ago, MusiKyle said:

It's too bad this isn't distributed through other retail locations to more easily apply discounts or coupons.  I like the concept and look but as we've said, simply cannot justify the price.  Interesting there are 7 people watching the lowest price listing on eBay right now, which for me is about $250 shipped.  I guess they forgot you can still order from Lego direct LEGO Shop at Home... in-stock, $199.99 + tax.  Kind of funny the Lego LEGO Shop at Home page still says Limit 2... Maybe I'll get one on a LEGO Shop at Home Black Friday deal in a year or two.

Lego often keeps exclusives to themselves for the first few months. Roller coaster is also still only available at LEGO Shop at Home. Vestas could pop up at Target ect... over the summer unless it's truly a limited set. 

• 2 years later...
1 minute ago, eliminator said:

Thoughts on long-term potential for this set? My local Lego store still has some at 20% off...plus GWPs (Ice Skating Rink, Polybag train, Boxing Day minifig). 

IMO It will do good enough to buy with the discount and those extras.

On 12/26/2020 at 3:26 PM, eliminator said:

Thoughts on long-term potential for this set? My local Lego store still has some at 20% off...plus GWPs (Ice Skating Rink, Polybag train, Boxing Day minifig). 

I would personally jump on it. It is a set that I missed out on and wanted for my own collection. Its one that I was going to buy 3, one to keep and the other two to pay for mine. You should ask your LEGO store if I could buy and have them ship to me!