Forma 2019 - Indiegogo Fish Project

Brickset comments show people being upset about this not being offered in other markets and thinking the secondary market price will be high.

Smart/devious of them to offer the shark skin separate, that's the one I would be interested in.

They ought to do this with the Ideas line.  Make people put their money where their mouth is, so we don't end up with Adventure Time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What this project does give is some insight in the relative strength of the UK market.

Superbox:    4,000 for the USA    1,000 for the UK

Koi Model:  12,000 for the USA   4,000 for the UK

with the bonus that at the end of the campaign we will be able to see the total purchases in each territory.   

Edited by thebrickdad

1 minute ago, thebrickdad said:

What this project does give in some insight in the relative strength of the UK market.

Superbox:    4,000 for the USA    1,000 for the UK

Koi Model:  12,000 for the USA   4,000 for the UK

with the bonus that at the end of the campaign we will be able to see the total purchases in each territory.  

I wonder if the Superbox packages all the skins together or if they're still separate.  That may be the way to go as I doubt the model has any unique pieces and could easily be put together on Bricklink, but the skins will be what you need to make it look decent.

I also backed the super box.  I don't know how difficult it would be to scan those fish skins and print on some kind of PVC/plastic sheet but that seems the greatest risk here.  The technic pieces are not unique and once the instructions are out anyone could have that part.  Custom skins would be fun.  I would love to see a walleye or large mouth bass.  As long as it doesn't sing "take me to the river..." :)

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, hockeyweasel said:

You gave TLG money whether they make it or not (though the support seems to indicate you'll receive it), but Indiegogo says that you are making a contribution and that's why you are being charged now.

This is one of the few Indiegogo projects that I would think is actually guaranteed to be delivered.

Imagine the PR nightmare if TLG didn't ???

Everything on the page indicates this is going to ship.  Even the FAQ kind of answers this.

Why is the LEGO Group charging customers to back this pilot?
We are partnering with Indiegogo through its Enterprise program, which enables well-established companies like the LEGO Group - as well as previous partners like Whirlpool and Bose - to access Indiegogo’s user base. When users back the project with an order they sign up to receive the product once it launches, and as such give their testament that they see value in the product. The order is an important step in this pilot to understand actual commitment and validation of the idea.

When will the products be shipped?
Final adjustments to the LEGO® FORMA model and packaging design will lock October 31st, and the campaign ends on Indiegogo November 6th after which the products will be shipped within 2-3 months.

It appears there is a new connector for the FORMA material.

Why do you need a new connector?
We developed a new connector to get a sleek visual appeal and to make sure the foil skins are securely connected to the model. Furthermore, the elements make it easy to attach and remove foil from the brick skeleton when you want to change the foil with different variants.

Will the LEGO Group launch the pin element as part of the wider product assortment?
At this stage the pin element is exclusive to LEGO® FORMA. We cannot comment on future plans, and the element has been created for the purpose of ensuring a high product quality experience when being creative with the skins.
Edited by fuzzy_bricks

22 hours ago, thebrickdad said:

The site says Limit (1) 81000 LEGO® FORMA Koi Model per backer.  but it looks as if you can buy additional skins separately.

I was successful at buying one of each, in separate transactions, including one superpack, but that means I paid a total of $90 USD for the base ($45) and 3 add-ons ($15/per), and then $85 for one super pack.

Given that this is the pilot/prototype and will factor into their decision to scale up and what they scale up, the mass market product may end up looking different for better or worse and maybe some of the skins don't make it to market.  The indiegogo version may not be the slickest version in the end, but could still be collectible for other reasons.

The press release says that this is one of several outlets where they are going to be testing ideas, and maybe access to those future platforms won't be available to people in the US and UK.