opening a brick and mortar lego resale store

It would be wise for LEGO to embrace these types of stores.  With profits decreasing and TRUs gone, they need more help promoting their products.  Good luck with the store.  Jeff and I always wanted to do something like this, but a job like this needs "all" of your time to start if you want it to work and even then there is no guarantee.  But it is a great job anyway you look at it.  It would be fun coming to work!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, donbee said:

Interesting. In Florida, we call it “shortage”. At least at the malls I’ve worked at. In particular Macys stores. It’s when your inventory comes up “short” because of loss.

Maybe it's a regional thing?  When I worked retail in the Rocky Mtns, the manager called it shrinkage.   Or maybe generational?  I worked retail pre-Seinfeld.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, SpaceFan9 said:

Maybe it's a regional thing?  When I worked retail in the Rocky Mtns, the manager called it shrinkage.   Or maybe generational?  I worked retail pre-Seinfeld.

don't think so , from Florida and always heard it as shrinkage,  or maybe wife was just talking about me,  idk gets confusing at times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The minifig head is definitely restricted copyright. TLG forced all of the LUGs that had minifig logos to change them, which caused a bit of an uproar in the AFOL community. You should do some further research before you spend too much on signage and branding.

Good luck!

• Like 2

The correct term for having an inventory shortage is shrinkage - so neither is necessarily wrong.

Shortage just makes logical sense to me. You do your inventory and you come up short. Short is an adjective, an observation of what happened. shrink is a verb, what’s happening. But that’s just me.

Nevertheless , Seinfeld took that word and changed it for ever. Can’t erase it from my mind.

Good luck to you as well! I've started many businesses and I know how much work it is for one person! You'er doing great!! I'm thinking of starting a LEGO business too! I'll let everyone know if I'm going to do it, and when. 

But good luck again! I'm shore you'll do very well! 

P.S Just for a law suit purpose, you might want to if you are allowed to use the mini-figure face. Just to be shore. In the LEGO business I'm thinking of, I have to make shore that my logo doesn't have anything that LEGO could sue me for, like a LEGO brick. 

I'm just saying it because I don't want you to get sued! But good luck. 

P.P.S Here's my logo, 1545088596_LogoMakr_8zoe72(1)(1).png.576f19d2a440fd0be03798ee94ba9cea.png I couldn't make it any smaller. ☺️

My friend that had the idea wants me to join him, so how could I resist. ?

Guest TabbyBoy

Any new business is a HUGE amount of work for one person or even a couple as the overheads are often enormous and it's at least a year before you see any return, often much longer. No wonder the overwhelming majority shut up shop within the first year. It's really tough out there and kudos to those that give it a go. One tip I would give is to make sure that your family has at least a year's proper income left over AFTER all business expenses and that the new company has limited liability. I'm not sure what it's like in the US, but business rates in the UK are crucifying, as if rent/insurance/utilities/admin aren't high enough as they are. 

I think this is a great concept. I saw this article when I googled your store. I hope you don't mind me sharing with the group:

http://www.valleybreeze.com/2018-08-29/observer-smithfield-west/father-four-opening-local-lego-store#.W8i3LWhKg2w

I am only an hour away and look forward to stopping by.

I see your grand opening is on for this Saturday, October 20! Congratulations on making it to the start line on time and best of luck!

• Like 3

I would suggest everything possible to be locked up in glass cases, easy to see but hard to touch and damage the products (or walk away with them)  and I would definitely consider populating the shop with other products if that's what it takes to retail from lego.  kubros are in my opinion quite good and maybe superior to brickheads.  whatever other peoples opinions are on them they offer different themes than lego does and they are improving immensely in the quality and unique elements. 

31 minutes ago, thombockerman said:

I would suggest everything possible to be locked up in glass cases, easy to see but hard to touch and damage the products (or walk away with them)  and I would definitely consider populating the shop with other products if that's what it takes to retail from lego.  kubros are in my opinion quite good and maybe superior to brickheads.  whatever other peoples opinions are on them they offer different themes than lego does and they are improving immensely in the quality and unique elements. 

very few companies are worth being direct these days,  LEGO is not one of them.

Just now, TabbyBoy said:

Any new business is a HUGE amount of work for one person or even a couple as the overheads are often enormous and it's at least a year before you see any return, often much longer. No wonder the overwhelming majority shut up shop within the first year. It's really tough out there and kudos to those that give it a go. One tip I would give is to make sure that your family has at least a year's proper income left over AFTER all business expenses and that the new company has limited liability. I'm not sure what it's like in the US, but business rates in the UK are crucifying, as if rent/insurance/utilities/admin aren't high enough as they are. 

I agree with you that most, if not all brick and mortar businesses go out of business within the first year, or five. It's a really tough business. That's why I think it's great that your doing it!! You got this!

thanks! i tried to make it look as professional as i could while still staying on a very limited budget. most of the shelving and display cases were bought used from craigslist. i wanted to have the colorful lego boxes and sets themselves stand out so i just left the walls white. the brick wall idea i got from another independent lego store down in florida: brick city bricks (great store and very nice owner, check them out if you’re in the tampa area).
i still have to finish up the party room, and start on my big display/town area, i’ll keep you all updated!

• Like 5