Need some EBay selling advice?

jbacunn

eBay frowns upon using there messaging system to deal outside of their platform. Grey area is the easiest description.

Tread lightly. Is it worth a ban from ebay over 10 polys to save a few bucks in fees?

Thank you both for your responses. I'll be doing a listing. Definitely not worth getting banned!

Someone made me a Best Offer on 10 polys and I made a counter that is good for 48 hours. Now I only have 7 left will he not be able to accept it, do I get dinged, for future reference is there a way to make the counteroffer only good for an hour or 2???

Update. Someone just bought the last 7 at the BIN price so the listing is closed.

Edited by Pseudoty

Hi folks, a quick question here:

I've recently sold 10 polybags on eBay to a buyer (he bought all of them that I had listed). After the polybags were received on his end and deciding that I was ready to let go of the rest of the polybags, I messaged him asking if he wanted the remaining 20 I had. Is it alright to do this deal outside of eBay since there was never a listing for this? The buyer has almost 2k positive feedback, so seller/buyer protection isn't really a necessity in this case. Thanks in advance!!

You can absolutely do deals like this outside eBay, but do not use the eBay messaging system to make them.

Basically, if you have something listed on eBay and you or the buyer try to take that deal off eBay, that's a violation of the agreement you made with eBay (and, in my mind, totally tacky besides -- eBay found you that buyer for that deal, they deserve their cut.)

HOWEVER, once you have sold something to an eBay customer, there's nothing wrong with you or that customer contacting each other OFF eBay (like using the email address you have for him thru PayPal) to make a separate deal that has nothing to do with an existing eBay listing. eBay may have introduced the two of you via the first deal, but that doesn't mean they own the both of you for all new deals going forward.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I keep reading that sales are picking up for many of you fellow BPr's.

Would anyone be willing to provide a critque of my last live BIN auction on ebay?

No sales for any of my recent  BIN listings.

LIstings included a Train lot for 7339/7938/7937, Robie House, 10229, 9292 Tie Fighters, Recent Chess set, and some other listings which were not very popular like

70010 (came back at TRU), Pharaohs Quest Battle packs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321592929662?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Thank you for any critique given.

Would anyone be willing to provide a critque of my last live BIN auction on ebay?

LIstings included a Train lot for 7339/7938/7937, Robie House, 10229, 9292 Tie Fighters, Recent Chess set, and some other listings which were not very popular like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321592929662?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

If I was in the market, the fact that you're not at the bottom when I choose sort by price + shipping.  I realize that's probably not terribly helpful, and I'm not sure how many people shop that way, but I do. 

I also like Pseudoty's tip.  True, it's just a psychological thing, but people like to get something for free, plus I think you automatically get five stars in that category.

I am not a fan of lengthy store policy in the item description page. Not everyone agrees with this so do as you must.

However, some of those policies seemed contradictory. For example, the listing was IPR but you expected buyers to pay within 3 days.

Agreed - eBay provides plenty of settings for all the basic policies, so use those and make your descriptions positive, brief, and useful to the buyer. They won't CYA in any case, so no need to spend real estate turning off good buyers with them when they won't phase the bad ones.

Raise the price by $15.95 and offer free shipping. Offer faster non-free shipping methods. Offer international shipping. Add the item location. Show a picture of just one set. Offer returns.

I agree with this. You want a pic of 1 item if that's what you're offering. This appears like they're getting two of the same thing.

Much of what has been mentioned (returns,free shipping, GSP) will also raise you in the search results so more people are likely to see your listing, at least the ones that don't sort by price or newly listed/ending soonest.

I agree with this. You want a pic of 1 item if that's what you're offering. This appears like they're getting two of the same thing.

I agree with the comment about the picture. It's confusing when you show two in the picture. Also, this time of year people want expedited shipping because they are nervous they won't get the item in time. In most people's minds economy = slow. I use either priority or FedEx ground as expedited and FedEx is pretty cheap for larger items. You will occasionally get burned offering free shipping but I find it evens out in the long run its just that you remember the times you are burned more. Also offering returns is a mental thing with buyers. I have sold hundreds of items on eBay on only had one or two returns. It just doesn't happen often. Edited by jbacunn
  • Like 1

While there are suggestions that can be made (returns accepted, etc), the reality is that there isn't anything particularly wrong with your listings.

There are 100's of many of these sets available, so unless you undercut everyone else (which isn't the best thing to do, for anyone), sales will take time.

This is the concern I have with people that are buying a ton of only a few select sets. While it might look good on paper, it doesn't work too well once you realize that you can't just decide when to sell them & take your profit.

I know this probably is the right place to post this but i have been following the daily deals for a few weeks and learning a lot about buying. Since you all seem to have a good idea of the best way to do things i wanted to ask about selling.  I just started selling and stuff is rolling out the door but the expenses are killing my profits. Is that just the cost of doing business or is there a better way. Sell a cave set on ebay for $44 including shipping. i'm looking at like 12 bucks in expense between paypal fees, ebay (looks like they are taking 10%) and shipping. Ebay keeps pricing priority mail cheaper than standing shipping, i find that hard to believe. Thanks for everyones help to date. I guess i cant get mad at making 11 bucks on a 21 buck investment about 10 times a day but i always would like more. 

Brian

I know this probably is the right place to post this but i have been following the daily deals for a few weeks and learning a lot about buying. Since you all seem to have a good idea of the best way to do things i wanted to ask about selling.  I just started selling and stuff is rolling out the door but the expenses are killing my profits. Is that just the cost of doing business or is there a better way. Sell a cave set on ebay for $44 including shipping. i'm looking at like 12 bucks in expense between paypal fees, ebay (looks like they are taking 10%) and shipping. Ebay keeps pricing priority mail cheaper than standing shipping, i find that hard to believe. Thanks for everyones help to date. I guess i cant get mad at making 11 bucks on a 21 buck investment about 10 times a day but i always would like more. 

Brian

yes priority mail is cheaper than standard shipping.  They have gradually made that change over the last year , year and a half.    Unless an item is under 13oz which you can then use first class mail.  USPS has made the priority rates very competitive and is a very fast shipping service.  It is your best deal on light packages especially through ebay with discounts.    

Brian

I haven't been selling Lego for too long, but I've been selling hot toys for years on eBay. The fees (paypal and eBay combined) is nearly 14% right off the top and paypal includes any shipping paid to you. I always offer free shipping, buyers just mentally need to see that even if you're priced higher than a seller's total who charges shipping. Plus don't forget the expenses for materials and gas. You just need to factor in all of the expenses into your "cost" of the item before deciding on a selling price. I factor in the most expensive possible shipping, usually Hawaii or Guam. Hence why I've stopped chasing smaller flips because the $10 you make in the end just isn't worth my time. :P

• Like 1

Brian

Welcome to the reality of reselling...and, from your post, it doesn't sound like you're even accounting for the taxes that you have to pay on that gain.  If you want to do this, you need to come to grips with the fact that your margin is, in every instance, going to be much smaller than it seems at first blush.

i took advice that others posted earlier and repriced all my stuff to include free shipping and saw an immediate jump in sales and also in overall profitability despite paying for shipping.  sort of counterintuitive.  i think the ebay shipping calculator is a PITA for some people that they just don't even bother.  thanks for that advice.

the #2 thing that has been working for me is shopping around for shipping.  i am close to a fed ex distribution center and they are very competitive price wise and i think they give better service - haven't had any damaged deliveries with them and i've been using them only this month except for small packages where i go back to usps.  by dropping my stuff at the larger regional distribution center, i'm getting my stuff delivered in 2 days or less and removing at least 2 handoff points where stuff gets thrown/dropped etc.  i've had a few times where it got there overnight and i'm paying for standard slower shipping.  buyers love that - its better than amazon.

• Like 1

eBay never reports you for taxes or sends you forms. If you make over $20,000 AND 200 sales of goods then Paypal sends you a tax form and reports you to the IRS. Whether or not you have to self report your income is upto the tax laws of your state, etc. For example, I'm a grad student who sells on the side for extra cash, with no taxable income as long as I don't earn over $5K a year I don't report at all. That's also $5K PROFIT, after taking out all costs and expenses.