Need some EBay selling advice?

jbacunn

On 11/11/2018 at 2:37 PM, firstofminifigs said:

I have an order from Puerto Rico which apparently doesn't fall under international shipping which I don't offer. I do offer free shipping however. Ebay shipping label quote is $49 for a $98 set. Can I use priority rate flat rate to PR? Also where can I find game board size flat rate boxes without having them shipped to me? How do I avoid this in the future?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

How heavy is this order??
Worst case for me is usually a 6LB set, but even at 24x16x4 & 10LBs, I calculate $38 Priority Mail to PR.
Unless this is multiple sets or not LEGO. Silly me to assume it's LEGO. ?
If it's heavy enough to cost $48 but small enough to fit in a flat-rate box, it must not be.

Thanks everyone or the help, I definitely learned a few things. The set is Qty. 1 75052 (Cantina). I am pretty small time and usually only reuse boxes and the box I had that fit this set was bigger than it needed to be which is why the priority mail rate was so high. Turns out the flat rate board game box is the cheapest way to go and my post office although they don't normally stock them had about 15 on hand from someone who had extra.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2018 at 2:37 PM, firstofminifigs said:

I have an order from Puerto Rico which apparently doesn't fall under international shipping which I don't offer. I do offer free shipping however. Ebay shipping label quote is $49 for a $98 set. Can I use priority rate flat rate to PR? Also where can I find game board size flat rate boxes without having them shipped to me? How do I avoid this in the future?

Puerto Rico is part of USA. Just like Guam. Shipping via USPS shouldn't be any worse than from west coast to east coast.

Guest TabbyBoy

Dependent territories are a pain in the arse when posting parcels. I always state in my listings that I do NOT post to the likes of eg. HM Forces Overseas, Gibraltar, Channel Islands, Falklands and Shetland. There's plenty of buyers on the UK and Irish mainland to keep be busy. However, I do ship very small sets Worldwide using eBay's GSP.

2 hours ago, firstofminifigs said:

Thanks everyone or the help, I definitely learned a few things. The set is Qty. 1 75052 (Cantina). I am pretty small time and usually only reuse boxes and the box I had that fit this set was bigger than it needed to be which is why the priority mail rate was so high. Turns out the flat rate board game box is the cheapest way to go and my post office although they don't normally stock them had about 15 on hand from someone who had extra.

Priority mail is the only way to go if shipping beyond the lower 48. I found this out the hard way when I shipped a set Parcel Select to Hawaii. It travels via barge to the island! Priority goes on a plane. It's worth the hassle and extra cost, too. 

Risk Check... My listed item sold today, I got paid via PayPal (funds appeared), I shipped USPS, insured at value ($214) with signature confirmation.  I then noticed the buyer had zero feedback on eBay.  Given the steps so far, am I at any risk for any funny business?  PayPal name/address matched eBay/shipping info so I have my fingers crossed.

Edited by MusiKyle

I have sold quite a few sets in the 150 to 350 range in the last month to 0 feedback or few feedback buyers. Many people just don't use Ebay often. So long as address is PayPal confirmed you should be good to go. You can always extend your handling time when listing these high priced sets as I have had requests to cancel after buyer purchases within a day, due to payment not authorized and such. I once had a set buyer claimed was not received. PayPal took care of me so long as the address was confirmed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MusiKyle said:

Risk Check... My listed item sold today, I got paid via PayPal (funds appeared), I shipped USPS, insured at value ($214) with signature confirmation.  I then noticed the buyer had zero feedback on eBay.  Given the steps so far, am I at any risk for any funny business?  PayPal name/address matched eBay/shipping info so I have my fingers crossed.

As LB says, you should be covered under eBay and PayPal's terms. If you want more peace of mind, you can check the name/address against White Pages. Or if you've got their phone number, call/text to confirm the purchase before shipping.

Edited by mizeur
Typo

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, mizeur said:

As LB says, you should be covered under eBay and PayPal's terms. If you want more peace of mind, you can check the name/address against White Pages. Or if you've got their phone number, call/text to confirm the purchase before shipping.

Better still, ask for a copy of a utility bill as proof of address. Any genuine buyer of a high value item, won't have a problem with this. I've also now made it easier on myself by accepting credit cards (NOT via PayPal) where the buyer HAS to confirm postcode before the charge is processed. By being a legit card vendor, it's also a lot easier to win chargeback cases.

18 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Dependent territories are a pain in the arse when posting parcels. I always state in my listings that I do NOT post to the likes of eg. HM Forces Overseas, Gibraltar, Channel Islands, Falklands and Shetland. There's plenty of buyers on the UK and Irish mainland to keep be busy. However, I do ship very small sets Worldwide using eBay's GSP.

It's daft that it is easier and cheaper for me to ship something to Australia via GSP than it is to deliver to UK territories. Either they should be exactly the same as mainland UK, or treated as international. The system we have at the moment is crap.

I think there's a more defined thread for this somewhere but search couldn't find it.... 

Woke up to a very large sale today of multiple skus. There was a special request to ensure packaging was premium quality.... some of the sets are certain to crush others in a shared box. The buyer paid separate orders, so it's easy to just ship them all in their own boxes... that's my backup solution and they're fine with it.

But we'd both love to save some money (him on shipping, me on shipping fees), so I'm wondering if any Canadians have any insight or advice on how one goes about doing a split shipment using the CanadaPost/Shippo platform? Admit I have not googled anything yet, going there next... BP is my first stop for this type of stuff, first hand experience from the horse's mouth is the best type of info! 

Guest TabbyBoy
6 minutes ago, WannabePlatypus said:

Hey a buyer told me his PayPal is not working, he wants to use interc e transfer. I don’t use e-transfer much, anything I should be worried about...?

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum

SWIFT using IBAN code? Most major international banks support this. Also, it's unlikely you'll get a chargeback ? I've also set myself up with Worldpay and this saves so much hassle and a hell of a lot cheaper than PayPal. Anyway, I use instant payment BIN on eBay so the item is still available while somebody is faffing with payment.

Probably not the best thread, but I'm about to lose my poop navigating eBay's clunky settings.
I'm trying to change the paypal account from which shipping label funds are pulled.
I've been collecting payments in the new address, but shipping labels still pull from the old one.

I swear I've changed the PayPal email account in a dozen places, and a shipping label still pulls from the old account.
All the sites I've Googled are outdated with links and terms that no longer apply.

I got all excited when I finally saw this:

image.png.ab541f2d5f211aafe08e8c71e50004e1.png

That dumb link has options to change anything but a shipping label payment method.
I'm gonna lose my mind. If anyone sees a settings page and can paste the URL, I'm starting to believe it doesn't exist.

image.png

Guest TabbyBoy

I share the frustration of others with regards to eBay's latest layout and seller's summary page. Why couldn't they just leave the damn thing as it was? It's like Microsoft where to get to know Windows and Office inside out and then they bloody go and change it! Grrrrrr!!! Arse!!! All they had to do was leave XP as it was, keep it secure and add new features. But NO!... they had to go and mess with it to bring out the utter abortion which is Windows 10. No wonder I've gone back to using OSX on a Mac.

I've finally got my eBay payout as I want it, but they'll probably change it again.

C'mon eBay.... listen to your overpaying mugs customers and leave it as it is!!!

Probably not the best thread, but I'm about to lose my poop navigating eBay's clunky settings.
I'm trying to change the paypal account from which shipping label funds are pulled.
I've been collecting payments in the new address, but shipping labels still pull from the old one.
I swear I've changed the PayPal email account in a dozen places, and a shipping label still pulls from the old account.
All the sites I've Googled are outdated with links and terms that no longer apply.

I got all excited when I finally saw this:
image.png.ab541f2d5f211aafe08e8c71e50004e1.png
That dumb link has options to change anything but a shipping label payment method.
I'm gonna lose my mind. If anyone sees a settings page and can paste the URL, I'm starting to believe it doesn't exist.

image.png.d1a4dfa6fe3a212592ce2b048bfb5456.png

Log in and switch to classic view. You should be able to find items a bit easier that way. This was the only method I could find to change my handling times over Thanksgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

Log in and switch to classic view. You should be able to find items a bit easier that way. This was the only method I could find to change my handling times over Thanksgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

Reminds me of Windows 10. I'm still looking for some settings I can only find in the original Control Panel. If it ain't broke... ? Thanks.

Guest TabbyBoy
13 minutes ago, lodibricks said:

Reminds me of Windows 10. I'm still looking for some settings I can only find in the original Control Panel. If it ain't broke... ? Thanks.

That's why I use OSX on a Mac now. I've had my iMac since 2012 and the interface still looks the same after every update and version. The command level syntax takes a bit of getting used to compared to Windows/DOS, but it's much more powerful. That reminds me... why can't we have admin rights on phones and tablets, but we can on computers?

I often send feedback to eBay, but it probably ends up in the bin like all the others.

• 2 months later...

Need a bit of advice ... I'm out of the country this week and put all my eBay items on 10 day handling time, so I can pack and ship over the weekend when I am back. Now someone just bought one of my listings through GSP, and the email I received from EBay says I need to ship to KY in one day. I tried contacting CS but its telephone only, and I am not looking forward to paying roaming costs just to check. My question: is this just standard language and am I fine shipping out later due to my stated handling time, or is EBay going to ding me on this... Any tips?

9 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Need a bit of advice ... I'm out of the country this week and put all my eBay items on 10 day handling time, so I can pack and ship over the weekend when I am back. Now someone just bought one of my listings through GSP, and the email I received from EBay says I need to ship to KY in one day. I tried contacting CS but its telephone only, and I am not looking forward to paying roaming costs just to check. My question: is this just standard language and am I fine shipping out later due to my stated handling time, or is EBay going to ding me on this... Any tips?

I put mine on a 7 day handling time when I went on vacation over Thanksgiving and got a similar email from ebay. I had to double check my listings to make certain that the system processed my request to change the handling times. It did, but I found that to be little comfort. I think you're okay, just double check once you get a chance. If not email buyer and offer to cancel the sale. 

3 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

I put mine on a 7 day handling time when I went on vacation over Thanksgiving and got a similar email from ebay. I had to double check my listings to make certain that the system processed my request to change the handling times. It did, but I found that to be little comfort. I think you're okay, just double check once you get a chance. If not email buyer and offer to cancel the sale. 

If you have a store there's a vacation settings tool

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Email someone the shipping label and have them dropship it for you and square up later. If you don’t have an eBay store increase your prices so nobody will make a purchase. 

58 minutes ago, Phil B said:

If there are any pending offers, etc for a listing - the handling time doesn't update for that listing (perhaps that is what happened here).