Speed Champions 2019

Villager Chris

1 hour ago, lebrick said:

What? Discount, eh? 

I believe that when your buying a Lego set, any kind, you MOST get it at a discount! I feel safe in the range of 25%-50% discount, but that's just me. On some sets I might want a little higher discount depending on the set, condition, and price. But again, that's just how I like to do it. :) 

• 4 weeks later...
Among today´s leaks are the brands of Speed Champions.
Apart from the Senna McLaren we are getting  Mini, Ferrari, Dodge and Chevy.
3 small car sets and two bigger pack sets.
Interesting, I wonder what Dodge, thats a new license. Mini is rather cool and will probably sell well. I'm still going to keep betting on another Ferrari truck/transport this year. Regardless, glad the theme is sticking around.

Sent from my VS995 using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

I've recently come to appreciate the Lego line of licensed cars

As much as I drool over the GT3 and the Chiron...It would be a challenge to find a way to store/display those behemoths...also the $$$ is hefty

These speed champions on the other hand the perfect size and detail...and the fact a minifig can fit means i can have any figure in my collection driving the '68 Mustang

The price point pretty makes it that any adult can buy 3...build one right away and enjoy, sell/trade/gift the 2nd to recoup original investment, save 3rd for the lottery in 10 years. Also the price makes the entire collection a reasonable goal per year.

I can't emphasize the  benefit of it's size...very tangible...feels great in the hand, rolls right (w/ rubber tires and differentiating rims)...I can't say i am a fan of the stickers but I get that's the cost of keeping prices down...also, I don't follow professional racing...so I'm not a fan of the racing stickers (I know I can just not apply them)...I would like an alternate color of each car in street mode (where applicable ofcourse).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

Unpopular or license run out? 

There is no sign that 2019 would be the end. Speed Champions caters for a very specific market sub-segment (collectible sport car models), it is not tied to a specific license and LEGO has no obvious substitute. This will likely stick around for a long while.

I also read in an interview with LEGO designers (can't find which one) that SC did a lot to improve their small scale car designs. The challenges to replicate a shape of a specific car forced them to come up with new techniques, and this experience is now transferred over to other themes. This resulted and will result in more varied cars for the City, Creator and other themes. So LEGO has good incentives beyond direct profits to keep the theme around.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, inversion said:

There is no sign that 2019 would be the end. Speed Champions caters for a very specific market sub-segment (collectible sport car models), it is not tied to a specific license and LEGO has no obvious substitute. This will likely stick around for a long while.

I also read in an interview with LEGO designers (can't find which one) that SC did a lot to improve their small scale car designs. The challenges to replicate a shape of a specific car forced them to come up with new techniques, and this experience is now transferred over to other themes. This resulted and will result in more varied cars for the City, Creator and other themes. So LEGO has good incentives beyond direct profits to keep the theme around.

They are about to run out of set numbers for the theme!

• Haha 1

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

I would guess LEGO must pay to use the manufacturers names or logos.

Unless they pay LEGO to "advertise" their cars? Licencing can work both ways.

Well if the rumors are true, the Dodge and Mini sets will feature old and new models. That just leaves potentially 3 of the smaller sets. My guess is the Senna (Obviously), '19 Ferrari 488 Pista (But would settle for an older model like an F50...), Chevrolet (Mid Engine Corvette = Desireable but doubtful...maybe old Corvette?) Mini would be the Austin version and the new BMW DAKAR version, Dodge will probably be a Challenger set with old and new versions.

Edited by CosmicSpeed