10246 - Detective's Office

DadsAFOL

How many 10246 Detective Offices do you have?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10246 Detective Offices do you have?

• 50 or more. I am the heir to Emazers.
    • 20-49
    • 10-19
    • 5-9
    • 2-4
    • 1 (for resale not personal build)
    • 1 (for personal build/undecided what to do with it)
    • None. I am Exciter1 and this set hasn´t been released in my location yet.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/30/2018 at 06:59 PM

I think they are bootlegging "candy" so they can enjoy it while playing pool. I guess the detective is trying to shut them down. If anything is going to get the modular line shut down, this has got to be it! lol

I get it I guess I was just trying to figure out why this is a thing.....the modulars seem to be getting the "star wars syndrome". (So many options that would seem to be more popular but lego ignores them)

Yeah, it's hilarious, they were probably thinking up this scenario and someone said "wait guys, we can't have liquor, let's change it to candy."

It would be really cute if when LEGO Shop at Home starts selling it, they offer a promotional polybag "soda pop stand" that just happened to have a few bottles that fit the barrels and the kitchen upstairs.

quite the opposite actually. No kid would understand the prohibition angle unless it was explained to them.

I'm not sure I would have figured out what they were going for had I not watched the video.  Using cookies would have made it more confusing for myself if I was just going to study the set/box and try to figure out what was going on.

I will say that for my kid, once I explained to him that they were using the hiding spots to sneak the cookies past the detectives...he would have a blast with it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I would have figured out what they were going for had I not watched the video.  Using cookies would have made it more confusing for myself if I was just going to study the set/box and try to figure out what was going on.

I will say that for my kid, once I explained to him that they were using the hiding spots to sneak the cookies past the detectives...he would have a blast with it.

This is what I'm saying.....without the video it doesn't make much sense.

I'm not sure I would have figured out what they were going for had I not watched the video. Using cookies would have made it more confusing for myself if I was just going to study the set/box and try to figure out what was going on.

Kids love sneaky stuff. They are hard wired to buck the system and the man. :)

I'm not sure the back story is that important.  Had they not had the "play features" for hiding stuff everyone would have been like. "It's a detective's office.  He plays pool downstairs and gets his hair cut next door.  A crazy cat lady lives in the upper apartment next door."  Kids don't need a back story or a setup, they will make up some of the craziest stuff you've ever heard, adults tend to grow out of the creative phase, become the man upstairs, and need the story.

40056 Thanksgiving Feast has some bottles that are good substitutes. LEGO is not stupid, they just can't do alcohol smuggling: pool bar and cookies? Come on. Even lego says it's alcohol. This set is really fun.

If they stop the modular line after this, I am going to kidnap Jamie, throw him in a hole with heaps of LEGO and play the "put the modular in the basket" game.

• Like 3

There is an education system outside of the US you know...... and for those that didn't use it there's always Boardwalk Empire  :wink:

Haha, I wasn't implying anything there.. Actually, I always thought US education system was a laggard to the rest of the civilized world. Back in the 70's/80's, we certainly didn't learn much about other countries in grade school. At least not in my schools.

So.. Now I am curious if there was any alcohol bootlegging going on over in Europe/GB in early 1900's or if this was just a US thing.. Will look into that later I suppose.

• Like 1

Haha, I wasn't implying anything there.. Actually, I always thought US education system was a laggard to the rest of the civilized world. Back in the 70's/80's, we certainly didn't learn much about other countries in grade school. At least not in my schools.

So.. Now I am curious if there was any alcohol bootlegging going on over in Europe/GB in early 1900's or if this was just a US thing.. Will look into that later I suppose.

Without looking anything up I'd say there was nothing like that in Europe ^.^

Most european countries are rather proud when it comes to their alcoholic drinks so I cannot imagine it.

I like what LEGO did there though ***** "smuggling candy... because of the prohibition!" hrhr

After seeing the introduction video the DO has become more interesting than before.

Without looking anything up I'd say there was nothing like that in Europe ^.^

Most european countries are rather proud when it comes to their alcoholic drinks so I cannot imagine it.

I like what LEGO did there though ***** "smuggling candy... because of the prohibition!" hrhr

After seeing the introduction video the DO has become more interesting than before.

I wasn't aware any European countries instituted prohibition but after reading the Wikipedia article I found out that some of the Nordic countries did for a while.

On the rest of the continent, governments rather tend to use heavy taxation on alcohol to discourage heavy use. Or to fill their pockets, depending on your personal view :)