4002018 - Employee Christmas Gift 2018

Batman720

I’m not sure if anyone has any information on the 2018 employee gift, but I found a seller on eBay from Austria that has a couple different listing for it. The box looks legit to me, but I cannot find anything confirming the item. I’m not sure if I have posted this in the right spot, if I didn’t I apologize.

Below is a link to one of the listing.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173672857566

IMG_5812.thumb.JPG.75c4e80ebc60b2240d5fe053b441896d.JPGIMG_5814.thumb.JPG.a7a830b286641b0d31014f8eeff1a818.JPGIMG_5813.thumb.JPG.0dd2999cff38c57f39b83a10dd2722d0.JPGIMG_5817.thumb.JPG.5c97831ed7ce27b00d0e36c67208aa05.JPG

Is the set just a more elaborate version of this year's first holiday GWP?  

Last year's employee gift was a more elaborate nutcracker (which was a holiday GWP last year), and I was really hoping that they would do a nice, elaborate carousel this year.  That could've really been something.  Instead, they're going with a big box?  Maybe with some Santa/Reindeer scene inside?

Hope I'm wrong here.

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm surprised LEGO even bother giving these to staff as most are ungrateful and can't wait to stick it on eBay. I'd be pretty pissed off if I created something to reward my staff and it just got sold on... at a profit... for them! If it was me, I'd investigate the resales and instantly dismiss the ungrateful greedy bar stewards. John Lewis would instantly fire anybody who resold a staff sale item or a corporate gift for profit, I've seen it done... twice!

C'mon LEGO..... Release these to the general public with limit 1, 100% exclusivity and availability during December only.

I do have the 50 years on track, but it was given to me.

Edited by TabbyBoy

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

I'm surprised LEGO even bother giving these to staff as most are ungrateful and can't wait to stick it on eBay. I'd be pretty pissed off if I created something to reward my staff and it just got sold on... at a profit... for them! If it was me, I'd investigate the resales and instantly dismiss the ungrateful greedy bar stewards. John Lewis would instantly fire anybody who resold a staff sale item or a corporate gift for profit, I've seen it done... twice!

C'mon LEGO..... Release these to the general public with limit 1, 100% exclusivity and availability during December only.

I do have the 50 years on track, but it was given to me.

I have no issues with people reselling these gifts.  They probably get paid less than you think and are probably quite sick of looking at LEGO bricks.  It's a XMAS bonus of sorts.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I have no issues with people reselling these gifts.  They probably get paid less than you think and are probably quite sick of looking at LEGO bricks.  It's a XMAS bonus of sorts.  

Agree. I have purchased the nutcracker and borkum off a local guy. Lego is just a job for him, he has no interest in building anything. I imagine they have thousands of employees that feel the same way. Why wouldn't he sell it? 

Guest TabbyBoy

I seem to be out on my own here. My thoughts is that a gift being given to anybody is something to be kept and cherished. It's just like giving somebody a Christmas present that you spent time deciding on and buying, only to see them sell it or give it away. If so many LEGO employees are selling these gifts to top up their incomes, then this is a problem that LEGO need to address. In theory, it should be a dream place to work, but it's shear Hell according to some people I know who used to work for them. Google's another company that ain'e a bed of roses either.

52 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

My thoughts is that a gift being given to anybody is something to be kept and cherished. It's just like giving somebody a Christmas present that you spent time deciding on and buying, only to see them sell it or give it away.

This is a different sentiment. A corporate holiday "gift bonus" is totally different from a specially selected gift to an individual. Now if Lego individually personalized each and every gift they gave, that might be a little different. But this is a "limited" mass produced item  that is given to all employees. Granted, it is always great when a company can value their employees enough to offer a gift bonus. There are plenty of multi-million (and billion) dollar companies that don't do squat. But this still is up to the employee how they want to use their bonus...sell, re-gift, build, donate...I'm sure there are lots of stories of people doing things with their item. 

Me? I'll take the my company swag coffee mug holiday gift and see what happens when I add freezing water to it after I poured boiling water previously.

On 12/4/2018 at 12:26 PM, Ed Mack said:

Its also actually pretty smart move from the financial / accounting point of view:  employees sell this in general somewhere around 150-200 USD, if you were to give them a cheque / premium to a salary for 200 USD (here).. the guy would get only 158 USD after taxes and the employer would have to send to financial authorities another 68 USD on taxes, social and health insurance..  

Edited by crayxlp
  • Like 2

The box has the image on the front that says "40 years of the Lego minifigure"  I think the contents are 40 classic minifigure reissues, along with pieces to build a big "40" sculpture.  It does have 1099 pieces after all, 40 minifigs would only use up about 200 of those parts if they each have accessories. Are we positive the reindeer and sleigh are whats inside? I dont see how that could take that many pieces to build.  That image shows them next to the box but that could just be decorative.  Lego is very strict about showing whats inside until employees get them in hand.  I'm sticking with my minifig theory.

• 2 weeks later...