70840 - Welcome To Apocalypseburg!

Foreman Porgy

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:13 PM, terrymc4677 said:

This set will eventually see discounts like the TV Series Batcave in order to move them. Nobody in their right mind would spend $300 for this. It looks cool I guess, but why would anyone want to plop this thing down in the middle of their city layout amongst all of their modulars? This thing is a playset, and a very expensive one at that. It will be somewhat popular once the movie is released, but when that has come and gone this set will be a dust collector. Investment wise, I'll take 30 Benny's Space Squad sets for $300 before I touch one of these.

I do wonder if this set will be remembered later less for its place in The LEGO Movie 2 and simply more about the references to wasteland-esque settings of films many have already mentioned between Planet of The Apes, Mad Max, and even The Day After. This is a fun build and a lot do like building such apocalyptic scenes not to mention the high volume of what I assume to be sand green pieces. In the end however such could well mean diddly. I am one of those who would plop this down in the middle of their cityscape ....but I'm just weird like that. Haha.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
On 1/7/2019 at 1:04 AM, Captain_chaos said:

I'd like to know the weight before I give a crap about part counts. 

I can't agree more. A lot are hung about about piece counts, but I want to know how much plastic I'm getting! I'm surprsied that Trading Standards haven't stepped in yet. Would you buy a bag of suger with 1KG or 17,632,984 granules printed on the bag? It's an extreme example, but it's about time weight was mentioned. Of course, TLG won't want us to see how much Disney Tax we're paying, right?

I don't build every set, so I can't weigh the pieces.

Edited by TabbyBoy

Guest TabbyBoy

Sadly, RRP won't suffice when buying this, discounts have to be massive. Otherwise, it'll be a repeat of the Sea Cow. Anyhow, an interesting set and I'd have one... at 50% off.

agreed. the Brickpicker videos do a nice job of breaking down a sets true piece average. hope they do a video on this set. some years down the road some new afol will stumble on this and have to have it. more than sea cow for sure.  not likley going to remake.  would be nice to have some to unload. hmmmm

Just popped into Leicester sq for the designer signing. 6 people in the queue with 30 mins to go. Of which two are trying to get designer to sign the Hogwarts castle set. Worst turnout ever. People obviously staying away because of price and interesting to see what the signed sets will go for. Could potentially go sky high due to lack of numbers compared to other sets. I just picked up a couple of Dragon Guy BH’s which are flying off the shelves

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cheese said:

Just popped into Leicester sq for the designer signing. 6 people in the queue with 30 mins to go. Of which two are trying to get designer to sign the Hogwarts castle set. Worst turnout ever. People obviously staying away because of price and interesting to see what the signed sets will go for. Could potentially go sky high due to lack of numbers compared to other sets. I just picked up a couple of Dragon Guy BH’s which are flying off the shelves

Brickset signing day report seems to  confirm the above. Crickets until clearance bin time.

https://brickset.com/article/41717

2 hours ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Here is a little Model Team Easter Egg someone has found in this set.

https://imgur.com/DCjuZsw

Sometimes these little hidden nods to the past make builds go from good to great. Reminds me of how video games used to parody in small parts other games or even films like entering a hidden chamber finding a certain dead soldier and the protagonist goes "Hmm, that is one doomed space marine".

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TheOrcKing said:

Sometimes these little hidden nods to the past make builds go from good to great. Reminds me of how video games used to parody in small parts other games or even films like entering a hidden chamber finding a certain dead soldier and the protagonist goes "Hmm, that is one doomed space marine".

I agree.  I really appreciate these little "Easter Eggs" in LEGO sets and video games.  This set is everything that LEGO does right.  Not to get off topic, but Red Dead Redemption 2 is an example of a recent video game with some excellent "Easter Eggs."  Really spectacular game.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-MOVIE-Welcome-Apocalypseburg-Building/dp/B07JNFXJJ2?imprToken=YmfKzbu3Kdwlu0PpkRyXkA&slotNum=26&SubscriptionId=AKIAJQSYTIGRBKVM26KQ&tag=bpzone-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B 

Wonderful set. I've my personal copy already.  I cant see a remake coming. Ending Soon?. Set seems worthy of the buy three scenario at least. (buy 1 ,sell 1, Hold 1)so....question for the old pros... If a person is nearly only buying online ,  will this likely get much lower? Obviously few or none know for sure but trends can tell a lot.

4 minutes ago, Belac said:

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-MOVIE-Welcome-Apocalypseburg-Building/dp/B07JNFXJJ2?imprToken=YmfKzbu3Kdwlu0PpkRyXkA&slotNum=26&SubscriptionId=AKIAJQSYTIGRBKVM26KQ&tag=bpzone-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B 

Wonderful set. I've my personal copy already.  I cant see a remake coming. Ending Soon?. Set seems worthy of the buy three scenario at least. (buy 1 ,sell 1, Hold 1)so....question for the old pros... If a person is nearly only buying online ,  will this likely get much lower? Obviously few or none know for sure but trends can tell a lot.

I'm not an old pro, but I know I won't be buying it at this price for resale. Since I would be selling it on Ebay, I have to consider how much of my sale price would be eaten up by fees, as well as shipping this massive box. It's definitely a very cool set, though, and if it is disappearing, it won't have been on shelves very long. 

7 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

I'm not an old pro, but I know I won't be buying it at this price for resale. Since I would be selling it on Ebay, I have to consider how much of my sale price would be eaten up by fees, as well as shipping this massive box. It's definitely a very cool set, though, and if it is disappearing, it won't have been on shelves very long.

Thanks.  It Is BIG.  Shipping cost is truly a thorn in the small timers side.