Concerns about an Amazon reseller / drop shipper, ToyCentric

6 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I have no qualms being a newb...I don't have any experience in reselling (just learned it's costing me over 10+% in ebay seller fees...that was a shocker) and honestly I don't know a single Lego set by its number.

I figure the only thing I can contribute to this forum is exactly what I am and my experiences and perspective...I think I'm pretty much the target market for most of the folks here (40-something dad of a 7 year old w/ plenty of disposable income, propensity to spoil my only child, and a childhood fan of Lego)

Pretty much a lot of us...LOL

Well Im certain I've inadvertently done business with this fool but now have him blocked on ebay as well as the other tool mentioned earlier. If anyone has a list of drop sellers to be avoided please share so they can also be added to the list.............:mad:

Guest TabbyBoy

I don't think it's "allowed" to name and shame bad buyers in public on here, but I'm happy to block them if you PM me their IDs 😉 

I've had the odd one come back with a new ID like a bad smell, but I keep a list of address too!

I believe these are a cpl more that have purchased from me this year and now added to the list.......... adollable, memasca-0, and firefoxsales. If anyone has any buyer ids and are certain they are drop sellers please PM me and they to will be added to the list.

Edited by longshot

I went to add him toyface to my block list but eBay doesn't recognize the name. Did this user change their name? And adollable is definitely a dropshipper. Tim011072 may be as well,

1 hour ago, carini26 said:

Plus +3.2% from PayPal if they are managing transaction.  

For eBay, I usually account for 20-24% in fees, shipping, and supplies.  For the most part, I do not invest in sets w/ RRP over $150, so my fees as a pct of sales are typically higher.  This holiday season my average sales price is $92.41 and average fee/shipping/supplies is $19.67 - or 21.33%.  

That's pretty close to where I am. Also not selling large items ... my average fee on EBay is 20.34% across 2015-2018 (includes a stint as TRS which meant a drop of 1%points in fees) if you include shipping costs (most of my listings are Free Shipping, but I have a shipping charge for smaller items like minifigs).

For comparison, Amazon is 30.27%, including shipping to Amazon FBA, storage charges and removal orders for damaged product.

Bricklink and BrickOwl are ~7%, but that is skewed because I charge a handling fee which covers some of my fees.

EDIT: Even with those percentages, my average ROI after fees over the last 3 years has been 233% :)

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 2

On 12/18/2018 at 10:59 AM, fuzzy_bricks said:

At least knowing this seller's Amazon handle makes it easier to return the favor.

They really are playing with fire...while smoking cigarettes at a gas station.  Anyone versed in how the Amazon seller world works could f*** their world up very very easily.  Karma tends to be kind of a ***** so I wouldn't put money on Toycentric being around long term.

He must be using software that scans for certain terms on EBay and then automatically makes the purchase. If you look through the feedback as posted by @amtrak23, several folks received damaged and even used LEGO sets as a result of their purchase. These must have been listings that were up on EBay as "New" but had text in their description stating damaged or no box or things like that, which his script is not capturing. A sampling:

Paid for a new item, but received the LEGO blocks in a ziplock bag. All the blocks and the instructions were included, but it did not arrive in a LEGO box and was not warned in any way that it would not. Two stars because no LEGO blocks were missing and they arrived quickly. Regardless, buyer beware!Read less
By Justbnme on October 31, 2018.

Paid 100$ for item stated as new looked as if it was open package was totaled ruined and waiting for refund now.
By Amazon Customer on October 30, 2018.

The item had already been ordered, opened, and returned by another party. Shipped w/other party's name and address still on label which I tore off and destroyed prior to shipping back to the seller.Read less
By Christy McKenzie on November 4, 2018.

The Lego set which cost over 100 dollars arrived with box crushed on one side, it looked like tape was put there so I think the seller might have sent it out that way. I was very disappointed because this is a Christmas gift for my grandson who loves Lego.Read less
By Kathy Long on November 12, 2018.

The seller sent me an expensive lego set that had an extremely old and extremely damaged Lego box. 3 holes on the front of the box larger than my thumb. On the back of the box, one corner was torn and one side of the back of the box was completely sliced open from one end to another end. I will never order from this seller again.Read less
By Susan D Angelis on November 12, 2018.

sent a toy without a leg Thanos, not a complete set! The toy was supposed to be new!
By Sergey on November 12, 2018.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, redghostx said:

I went to add him toyface to my block list but eBay doesn't recognize the name. Did this user change their name? And adollable is definitely a dropshipper. Tim011072 may be as well,

I've had orders from adollable and Tim011072, so you're probably on the money with those.

I sold a smashed microfighter to toycentric, and remember thinking WTH is he dropshipping this for.  I just went back and looked and I had forgotten to select "used" when I was filling out the listing.  The title, description, and pictures all showed a damaged box and I shipped it in a box so the buyer should have been able to figure out the thing was damaged before ever being sent.  I'm surprised I hadn't heard anything about that, knock on wood.

I may be wrong, but I don't know if all Amazon customers expect pristine service, although you guys that FBA and FBM would know better.  Anyone that has ordered from them numerous times should have gotten a less than stellar packaging job by now.  Something heavy with something fragile and one piece of packing paper thrown on top for effect.  My Amazon orders, not just Lego, are probably the worst packed out of every retailer I order from.  I do think speed is important to Amazon buyers.

While in this discussion, I had a pretty good idea of what was going on. However, the eye-opener was not realizing all the negative feedback left for the eBay sellers by the dropshipper.
This was another dropshipper, not toycentric, but I found this most hilarious.
image.png.efac4ac02d7beedae5c33f43b79d9b99.png

This feedback was left by the dropshipper. So, if I'm reading this right, the Amazon seller bought from an eBay seller who dropshipped from Target and the Amazon seller left a neutral feedback for it. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I guess this could bite the eBay seller in the rear either way. 
Different buyer/seller, not Toycentric (or myself😞
image.png.257cb51c74d3d5daf28845749d2c7096.png

I'm assuming the dropshipper left feedback on a previous purchase if they were blocked on the current attempt.

I started to add a few to the block list that have a history of leaving negatives for the eBay sellers, but considering you can obviously receive backlash from blocking (a previous buyer), I removed the blocks knowing I do my part in fulfilling orders and quickly. I should hope eBay would consider removing this kind of negative though, if contested, as it has nothing to do with that previous sale.

On 12/18/2018 at 3:21 PM, vincevaughn said:

I certainly dont turn down drop shipper business and so far have not had any issues.

What makes me mad is the "this is a gift please no invoice and upload tracking as soon as possible" note on the sale. Want to message back everytime and say "quit blowing smoke up my butt and just say that your drop shipping."

😂
I get this word for word in CAPITALS from one guy thats buying from me across a few of my ebay accounts.  I've never had a problem but the f'ing  capitals does my head in.  I've found his amazon store, his home address etc.  Most of his store says only 1 in stock so i'm guess hes got no stock.

7 hours ago, lodibricks said:

I guess this could bite the eBay seller in the rear either way. 
Different buyer/seller, not Toycentric (or myself😞
image.png.257cb51c74d3d5daf28845749d2c7096.png

I'm assuming the dropshipper left feedback on a previous purchase if they were blocked on the current attempt.

I started to add a few to the block list that have a history of leaving negatives for the eBay sellers, but considering you can obviously receive backlash from blocking (a previous buyer), I removed the blocks knowing I do my part in fulfilling orders and quickly. I should hope eBay would consider removing this kind of negative though, if contested, as it has nothing to do with that previous sale.

There's no way that Ebay's CS should let negative feedback like that stand. I'd be on the phone to a rep in a hot minute if a buyer I blocked left feedback like that. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Migration said:

Was so much simpler when they just drop shipped from TRU.

BN was the best for me with their Arch sets most people didn't know they even sold them years ago.  Only had one buyer ever complain that their order came from BN.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, waddamon said:

I finally get some items listed up, more this weekend, and this guy buys two.  I cannot decide yet if I care.

He had a busy New year's day...he left himself over 80 positive feedback on Amazon that day.

Edited by amtrak23

Is this guy/others only doing it buying from eBay/selling from Amazon? I've had a few Amazon sales to the same buyer with a similar "this is for a gift, no invoice, please upload tracking etc" type of message. I'm small so never get the buy box. Seems like it would be rare there would be enough margin there on most things even if I have the lowest price.

My frequent drop-ship buyer buys on amazon but sells on other marketplaces: walmart and barnes & noble, most commonly.  They could buy and sell on Amazon, but I tend to doubt it.

And what they lack in margin, they make up for in volume.  If I can find the article, I'll post an interview that my most frequent drop-shipper gave.  It was quite enlightening---chasing the long tail with high volume was basically the strategy.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nolanfan34 said:

Is this guy/others only doing it buying from eBay/selling from Amazon? I've had a few Amazon sales to the same buyer with a similar "this is for a gift, no invoice, please upload tracking etc" type of message. I'm small so never get the buy box. Seems like it would be rare there would be enough margin there on most things even if I have the lowest price.

If there's even $5-10 per set, they're still printing money for the amount of time they have to invest compared to having to source, pack, and ship. The issue isn't the margins so much as the risk they're taking with their account and the liability they're foisting onto the fulfiller. 

One of the drop shippers is trying to scam me on missing pieces from a sealed set purchased over a month ago. What's the best way to respond?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, mizeur said:

One of the drop shippers is trying to scam me on missing pieces from a sealed set purchased over a month ago. What's the best way to respond?

Man, pages of conversation on this scenario exactly.

The drop shipper may not be scamming you at all. Just passing along the cost of business selling on scAmazon. They likely got a charge back from a scammer, so they are charging back to you.

Tell them you will refund the purchase price and shipping cost once the product has been returned. Send the drop shipper a pre-paid return label. At least you will put a sign of good faith in for the dispute. Best case scenario they know they don't have the product to actually return, and they drop it. USPS eventually refunds the unused label.

Worst case they threaten to send you some used marital aids... and now they actually have the return label to send them.

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mizeur said:

Send them the “said” missing parts.