Let's Assume BrickHeadz are done after 2019: What are the Choice Sets?

$20 on joe vs dan

Let's assume that Lego discontinues the Brickheadz line and 2019 is the last year; under that assumption what sets should the collectors and resellers target?

Obviously Mickey and Minnie are the front runners; but I would bet the Harry Potter series will be the most covetted 2 to 5 years from now.  ONe does not need to be a Lego fan to want these and they are the perfect size for display (hoarding). The other thing about HP I have noticed is the flood of licensed "collectibles" being offerred from socks to wands to candies...so I can imagine HP collectors will become more selective as they navigate the flood waters...something premium and discontinued.

Anything that was exclusive or Disney.  Lloyd and Master Wu, and Phasma and Finn were exclusives.  Jack & Sally.  Ariel and Ursula (also an exclusive).  

It's hard to tell - you've really got to look at availability (Boba Fett, for example, just came out, but just got tagged retired in Europe this week).  What is constantly sold out.  I see tons of Jurassic World sets out there, but never see Homer and Krusty.

• Like 1

Ive been one to buy all of my personal BHz at retail (I know...) so I have them all except the SDCC's. I agree with @Alpinemaps, certain Disney (Princesses) will succeed along with some select Exclusives. Series 1 are okay probably Batman, Capt. America, Hulk and Iron Man as the front runners. Seasonal sets are a toss-up as I feel that market likes the traditional dioramas and minifigures, not the scary 2016 Santa and the like.

All this talk and I just went ahead and got the Dog, Dragon and Clown. I feel the Dragon Guy will be short run but you never know,

• Like 1

Ive been one to buy all of my personal BHz at retail (I know...) so I have them all except the SDCC's. I agree with [mention=5626]Alpinemaps[/mention], certain Disney (Princesses) will succeed along with some select Exclusives. Series 1 are okay probably Batman, Capt. America, Hulk and Iron Man as the front runners. Seasonal sets are a toss-up as I feel that market likes the traditional dioramas and minifigures, not the scary 2016 Santa and the like.
All this talk and I just went ahead and got the Dog, Dragon and Clown. I feel the Dragon Guy will be short run but you never know,

The talk of possible retirement (see Boba Fett retiring in EU yesterday) has accelerated my acquisitions. I was holding out for sales, but I’m snapping up some of the harder to get ones or ones that have hit EU retirement today, rather than waiting.

My goal was to have the entire series, other than the SDCC ones (I’m Bricklinking those), and I don’t want to miss out. As of this moment, I’m only missing 4 “available at retail” sets, 2 being the Puppy and the Clown. I grabbed the Dragon Dance Guy yesterday for the same reason you mentioned.

There aren't that many...you all are pretty much saying get them all ?
...but if you had to pick series or one set...what does all your past experience tell you will be the winning Lottery ticket? 

You'll find that people are more willing to tell you once the sets have fully disappeared from retail
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

...but if you had to pick series or one set...what does all your past experience tell you will be the winning Lottery ticket? 

The one with the most iconic head in the world.

43 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Phasma..

There’s 95 different builds. That’s not just a few.

...but I thought we were bros here

We are. We are willing to share what is on sale. Some people are willing to make speculations. Some people will share how much they sell something for.

But we aren’t here to hold your hand, and tell you what to buy. You need to figure that out yourself.

You’ve gotten plenty of good clues in this thread.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

It's hard to say with this theme as there's not much history (started what, 2017?) and there's not much for other themes like it.
All good points from previous posts.

Most I wish I had more of, but I'm regretting having so many Valentine's Bees. Feb is almost here and that cursed bee is still available from last year. :( Not good.

56 minutes ago, lodibricks said:

It's hard to say with this theme as there's not much history (started what, 2017?) and there's not much for other themes like it.
All good points from previous posts.

Most I wish I had more of, but I'm regretting having so many Valentine's Bees. Feb is almost here and that cursed bee is still available from last year. :( Not good.

oh if you knew the counts of some of them  the bee wouldn't seem so cursed...

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

oh if you knew the counts of some of them  the bee wouldn't seem so cursed...

How about more riddles how many do we need to gobble up. To OP go with your gut buy what you like don’t take advice here like the gospel. Many of us our successful but your next lottery ticket idea seems more like your looking for the secrets to get rich quick. Buying LEGO for resale not a way to get rich quick or hit the lottery it’s a grind and it rewards the bold and the patient. I think the whole theme sucks and wouldn’t invest a penny at rrp ? In the past sets being on sale in quantity and mentioned heavily here has sunk many “sure bets”

Edited by Brickshopper

20 minutes ago, Tarka said:

Any opinions on Mr and Mrs Claus (40274). It's discounted at SAH and might do well next year if it's discontinued by then. I'm not sure how long these stick around for so may need to wait until the year after that?

Subprime Santa.

39 minutes ago, Brickshopper said:

How about more riddles how many do we need to gobble up. To OP go with your gut buy what you like don’t take advice here like the gospel. Many of us our successful but your next lottery ticket idea seems more like your looking for the secrets to get rich quick. Buying LEGO for resale not a way to get rich quick or hit the lottery it’s a grind and it rewards the bold and the patient. I think the whole theme sucks and wouldn’t invest a penny at rrp ? In the past sets being on sale in quantity and mentioned heavily here has sunk many “sure bets”

it's not humanly possible to gobble the gobbler up...  be plenty of leftovers for everyone!

Edited by ravenb99
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, fourkidsbuilding said:

Boba fett, luke/yoda and leia should do well. They have been non-existant in retail stores, and I dont see them all of a sudden Popping up in the next target/Wal-Mart resets...

interesting.. talking about Europe all of these have been generally available in larger toy shops around.. (have been referring to the periood like 3-6 weeks ago.. now the Bobba Fett is drying out of course).

3 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

We are. We are willing to share what is on sale. Some people are willing to make speculations. Some people will share how much they sell something for.

But we aren’t here to hold your hand, and tell you what to buy. You need to figure that out yourself.

You’ve gotten plenty of good clues in this thread.

I totally appreciate folks sharing here. I am not a reseller nor do i want to be (but I am opportunistic). The most I would ever buy of any set is 3 (under very special circumstances) and I currently have duplicates of maybe 3 or 4 sets.  I'm a collector and a parent; like many here...and I enjoy the speculative discussions because it helps me understand the hobby (and gives me the inside track on my Lego purchases). Folks bringing up past experiences are the best because before I bought Voltron 4 months ago...it has been 35 years since my last set....so I feel like I miss a lot. 

Re the BHz; I plan to get all the HP sets (even at RRP if I have to) and maybe pay a premium for the mice...and then the occasional sale priced ones as I come across them. A compelling argument form this thread may get me into some others...They do make great collectibles (size and source materials and quarkyness) as even the box art showing the source material image is NOICE. Also each set has unique printed pieces so that ups the collectibility scale.

13 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

interesting.. talking about Europe all of these have been generally available in larger toy shops around.. (have been referring to the periood like 3-6 weeks ago.. now the Bobba Fett is drying out of course).

christmas wiped them out...price point and size made them ideal stocking stuffers...wait do you guys do that in Europe?

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
more info

i have to disagree.. they are not "perfect Xmas" gift given their size or price point. What made them gone was simply the general sell-off at 50 % off.. 

and I take your note "wait.. do you guys do that in Europe" as quite offending.. Remember rand NEVER forget that LEGO is a Danish company and is hugely popular within Europe since mid 80's... 

Edited by crayxlp

1 hour ago, crayxlp said:

i have to disagree.. they are not "perfect Xmas" gift given their size or price point. What made them gone was simply the general sell-off at 50 % off.. 

and I take your note "wait.. do you guys do that in Europe" as quite offending.. Remember rand NEVER forget that LEGO is a Danish company and is hugely popular within Europe since mid 80's... 

He's referring to the Brickheadz box sizes fitting in stockings, and asking if you stuff stockings in Europe.

Quilted Stocking - Santa in Sled 

By your response, I'm thinking maybe you don't do stockings. :P

Edited by lodibricks