Lego Store Display Case

wesman888

Just wondering if there is any value on the Lego Store Display case?

I love them. If you can get a 2 foot one for about $100, that's considered a decent deal. SW are obviously worth more and in the $250+ range.

In general, they do hold value, but I am not sure if they increase enormously in value over time, as I have just recently started to look at them.

Though, if you manage to befriend your store manager and get the displays after use, you've hit the jackpot and can sell them quickly. Only problem is the box to send it in. Those things are huge.

• 8 months later...

Ed Mack provided a link to this seller in the Jek-14 Display Case thread, but I wanted to post these in the Lego Displays forum.  I guess lucky for me, the seller was in Ohio and they're going to let me pick up the displays I purchased.  Here are the two I won earlier in the week and I'm picking them up tomorrow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360785095135?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111208742916?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I'm sure they'll end up in my son's room some way some how.

• Like 1

Ed Mack provided a link to this seller in the Jek-14 Display Case thread, but I wanted to post these in the Lego Displays forum.  I guess lucky for me, the seller was in Ohio and they're going to let me pick up the displays I purchased.  Here are the two I won earlier in the week and I'm picking them up tomorrow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360785095135?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111208742916?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Nice finds. I like the City Mine display case.

Nice deal.  I dealt with that seller before.  They are liquidators paid to remove the displays.  I bought the JEK display from them.  Very nice.  The large Chima is outstanding as well.

Nice deal.  I dealt with that seller before.  They are liquidators paid to remove the displays.  I bought the JEK display from them.  Very nice.  The large Chima is outstanding as well.

I've been trying to deal with them on other displays, but they are insisting on going through with the auctions right now.  I'm not sure they realize they may save a little selling a few out right to a reasonable buyer.  Especially if I'm picking up...

Are you guys talking about the display with Jek's ship and all the minifigures? Why on earth would those be leaving stores already?

I have no idea how they would be leaving the stores already. Those sets came out in August of THIS year. It is November, I usually see store displays for sale after a couple of years in the store. I have never seen some sell this early after they were released.

These sellers are equipment liquidators.  Basically, they are paid to remove and dispose of store displays and equipment.  Some Targets get newer displays or change up toy isles for product.  I know of two of these companies on eBay consistently.  They might have 2 or 202.  You never know.

I've been trying to deal with them on other displays, but they are insisting on going through with the auctions right now.  I'm not sure they realize they may save a little selling a few out right to a reasonable buyer.  Especially if I'm picking up...

Yeah, plus it would save the seller on eBay fees if you agreed to pay cash or check, or something along those lines.

These sellers are equipment liquidators.  Basically, they are paid to remove and dispose of store displays and equipment.  Some Targets get newer displays or change up toy isles for product.  I know of two of these companies on eBay consistently.  They might have 2 or 202.  You never know.

That's interesting to know. I know Round2storeohio has been posting quite a bit of the same displays. If they are liquidators, does that mean that the Jek-14 display is already on its way out? That was a quick run for a display, IMO.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I don't check Craigslist often for my area, but something worthwhile is on there today.  My area sucks for Craigslist deals, unless you want junk.  I have no idea what this guy wants for it.  I sent him an offer and he instantly replied "no".  He said he knows what it's worth, but he may not know how much gas, time, and $$$ he'll be saving by not shipping it.

Jek-14 - Yoda Chronicles store display

I don't check Craigslist often for my area, but something worthwhile is on there today.  My area sucks for Craigslist deals, unless you want junk.  I have no idea what this guy wants for it.  I sent him an offer and he instantly replied "no".  He said he knows what it's worth, but he may not know how much gas, time, and $$$ he'll be saving by not shipping it.

Jek-14 - Yoda Chronicles store display

It's worth about $400.  Maybe a bit more.  The old displays are getting cleared out and the new ones are coming in.  

• Like 1

Yes, these displays are supposed to be sent to an equipment liquidator and destroyed, but some are saved from the crusher by store employees and sometimes even the liquidator themselves.   This display in particular is a fantastic piece.  I have one and it is worth $400 IMO.  It has all the STAR WARS figures from last year on it and is really one of the nicest ones I have had the pleasure to own.

• 1 month later...

I'm a fan of some of these displays.  Specifically, this one:

Is there upside in investing in one of these?  What's it worth?  Thanks!

These sets really aren't investments, but if you manage to befriend a store manager and score one for little to no money, you can probably list it on eBay for $100 or so, depending on the type of display (length, height, theme, lights, interactive features, etc.). Prices can range from $80 for less popular/more commonplace displays to $500 for large, rare displays. Ed Mack wrote an article on displays way back, so feel free to check it out: http://blog.brickpicker.com/brickvesting/lego-displays-cool-or-for-fools/. One thing that you should be cautious of, when selling displays, listings can sit for months without a buyer. You have to be patient, especially with this sort of LEGO investment. As Stephen_Rockefeller has often put it, "displays are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay".