Pop-up shops - best practice and learnings

MrSam

Hi all,

I couldn't find a thread along these lines, so thought it would be worth starting a discussion. 

Have many of you run pop-up shops before?
I've run a number at local LEGO shows/toy shows, and figured there may be a lot we can learn from each others experiences.

I've gradually grown my main popup over 5 years, now running a ~8m frontage and two registers. We typically have 3 staff to run the space, and use Vend as our POS as it's fairly easy to upload by excel stock files and manage payments etc. I actually didn't manage to get any photos of my last big show, but here's some from a small show we did earlier last year and the year before.
I've seen some shops choose a "customer walk-through" style space, but that seems to be an awkward use of space IMO.

Would love to hear about other's experiences! Also happy to answer questions about mine (within reason obviolusly).

Cheers

IMG_4993.thumb.jpg.99af1d05535573bdcea6949f655a7a98.jpg

1323715333_WJ7wwUKScuFD1Qie64oA_thumb_937.thumb.jpg.8981abd7ff478e3c6980074523fb8e2a.jpg1132718551_603tPgWuT0bK6uO1ADVcA_thumb_67b.thumb.jpg.300c0de82b7bbe6f953825c1d42c35f2.jpg

• Like 5

I managed to find a better picture from my 2018 big popup on my wife's phone.
In order to display as much stock as possible, we just have one of each set on the table, then extras stacked below the table and out back.
It's a tricky one, as it saves space, but also causes some inconveniences. I think it's worth it in order to display more stock, but I'd love to hear if others have had experience with this dilemma!

For our big 2019 popup I intend to have the shelves 50% higher (2.7m rather than 1.8m) and a bit more brand presence. 

I'd love to hear how others have found marketing in these situations :)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_957.thumb.jpg.dc6d2f03c69d233ef57805116a2921d0.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrSam said:

In order to display as much stock as possible, we just have one of each set on the table, then extras stacked below the table and out back.
It's a tricky one, as it saves space, but also causes some inconveniences. I think it's worth it in order to display more stock, but I'd love to hear if others have had experience with this dilemma!

For our big 2019 popup I intend to have the shelves 50% higher (2.7m rather than 1.8m) and a bit more brand presence. 

I'd love to hear how others have found marketing in these situations :)

from doing old sports cards and memorabilia shows / conventions the setup looks nice and seems to maximize product choices which is always what you want to do.  Can't really raise up to more on the front tables with tiers as you'd block the lower back displays.  Always preferred the blocked off front customer and owner on separate sides over the U shaped walk in type setups.  I like my space though.

• 3 months later...
Great set up - my personal preference is not to have a cash register / any money on the table. 

Agreed, a small table on the end or a rolling cart can hold the laptop. I use Square with an I phone at my business for quick credit card transactions. May not be the best pricing, I seldom accept credit cards, but very convenient and space saving.

I'd love to hear how others have found marketing in these situations

Get a table cloth made, or print a banner to spread across the front table. Banners can be tricky to secure, so getting table cloths printed would look a lot cleaner, more professional, and would be great advertising signage. Hide more boxes under your table as well. Here’s an example:35cca8bd02e322abd8b6abacad9247f6.jpg
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, donbee said:

Get a table cloth made, or print a banner to spread across the front table. Banners can be tricky to secure, so getting table cloths printed would look a lot cleaner, more professional, and would be great advertising signage. Hide more boxes under your table as well. Here’s an example:35cca8bd02e322abd8b6abacad9247f6.jpg

a cost effective option is to get a simple black table cloth and then get a banner printed that can be layed over the middle w/ your logo signage, etc.  Plain table cloths are much more cheaper and you can chang the color to stand out of everyone else is using black or white. the price difference can be hundreds of dollars betwen printing on a full table cloth vs a banner.  

Here is my set up from the last show I did before Christmas. It’s a lot of work but if the timing and venue is right then you can make a lot of sales with no online selling fees. Print up business cards and hand them out as well. I’ve developed a lot of local repeat business and a growing reputation as “That Lego Guy”.

I preferred the open u-shaped set up since it allows me to interact a bit more than from across a table. That’s just me though.cb3ee5fb47d87dda06f1c8cd990e53b1.jpg615d80e3e548366badfda91d6e19b71f.jpg595619a149f1a5b6b56fbbce49574e92.jpge9cba8549fd2539e7a8f909ae3fb272f.jpgd9718d7234632ce41c182485a05c6ee2.jpg

• Like 6

I like the little lego pedestal sign. Very nice touch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. The cardboard sign I got from my local TRU right before they closed. It was at the end of the Lego aisle. The stand I bought off amazon for $30. They help make the booth look more “official”.
  • Like 4