Bricklink's AFOL Designer Program 2019

32 minutes ago, CathyVT said:

If anyone is interested, I'm selling a used Science Tower on eBay, and it's currently less than MSRP. It ends in a few hours. I meant to have the auction end on the weekend, but forgot, last Monday (a holiday in the US) that it was Monday, not Sunday (when I set the auction to end in a week). So someone might get a good deal since it's ending in the middle of a work day (very little data on how the sets are selling used - I haven't seen ANY other than mine). I only ship to the US, though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293211376109 

Curious as to what you think of the build? Feel free to comment on it after the auction has ended.

The Western Set sold for $150+25 shipping used last week, so probably a little more than retail?

6 minutes ago, spener90 said:

Curious as to what you think of the build? Feel free to comment on it after the auction has ended.

The Western Set sold for $150+25 shipping used last week, so probably a little more than retail?

I did like the build. I'm glad I supported the program, even if I lose a little money after the buy-build-sell cycle. I live in a small townhouse so I really have to pick and chose what to keep. If I didn't already have so many other somewhat large sets, I would have kept it. I kept Eight Studs. The set was neat. My only complaint was that some of the floors were made from multiple plates where one larger plate would have been more stable.

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, spener90 said:

The interest in these sets seems to be pretty nonexistent right now.

That's not good. What I have are squirreled away for later. On screen these ADP sets don't project their overall quality that well. Maybe they will do better in the pop-up shop atmosphere.

That's not good. What I have are squirreled away for later. On screen these ADP sets don't project their overall quality that well. Maybe they will do better in the pop-up shop atmosphere.

If the program starts up again I think you will see a healthy eol bump. The issue I saw with this is how few people outside of the AFOL community knew about it. I thought about posting the deal to SD to get more exposure to the program, but the site rules don’t allow support for crowd funded projects.

1 hour ago, Mark Twain said:

If the program starts up again I think you will see a healthy eol bump. The issue I saw with this is how few people outside of the AFOL community knew about it. I thought about posting the deal to SD to get more exposure to the program, but the site rules don’t allow support for crowd funded projects.

That will be key. 
One other major issue is lack of UPC, which is very short sighted of them. That would open up Amazon and other retail markets
i mentioned that to Russell his response was they will consider it next time... that suggests there may well be more.

Also doesn’t help that Lawrence (BrickOwl) won’t allow them listed, although he hasn’t said “no” he simply won’t answer the question!

Personally I hope they do this again. Not only due to going in deep. I feel this is a far more direct  and better connection between AFOL creators and consumer. The LEGO Ideas line has become pretty dull in comparison (IMO)

Most of the sets are very good, and unique, especially the three that really focused on the theme. 

I don’t think they sold all the sets even with the wholesale offer, so worst case is part them out, which I would rather not do - the packaging is too darn good to discard.

• Like 1

gosh, hard to believe that they didn't sell them all... 2500 is a very small number. I have the castle, saloon, and hot shot, and I should have bought more than one each. But...I am a pretty frequent bricklink purchaser, and It took a while for me to even understand what was happening in the beginning...so, marketing fail.

2 hours ago, Al Legorical said:

That will be key. 
One other major issue is lack of UPC, which is very short sighted of them. That would open up Amazon and other retail markets
i mentioned that to Russell his response was they will consider it next time... that suggests there may well be more.

Also doesn’t help that Lawrence (BrickOwl) won’t allow them listed, although he hasn’t said “no” he simply won’t answer the question!

Personally I hope they do this again. Not only due to going in deep. I feel this is a far more direct  and better connection between AFOL creators and consumer. The LEGO Ideas line has become pretty dull in comparison (IMO)

Most of the sets are very good, and unique, especially the three that really focused on the theme. 

I don’t think they sold all the sets even with the wholesale offer, so worst case is part them out, which I would rather not do - the packaging is too darn good to discard.

I don't see these being allowed on Amazon's Marketplace anytime soon. Even with a UPC, I would think LEGO would object and ask for the listings to be removed. And even if one were to surmount those hurdles, what happens when a bot triggers a CPC testing request? I highly doubt they even bothered sending these overseas for testing and if you can't produce a 50-60 page testing report, you are SOL on the listing. 

If they do this again, the wholesale strategy is going to be difficult. The hobby-level reseller strategy of buying the max and selling eol for 2x to 3x rrp flooded the market long before wholesellers could list. 

Edited by Mark Twain

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Al Legorical said:

Today’s news (LEGO acquires BL) vs impact on future value of these sets? I feel I may, just may, have made a good investment. Thoughts?

I upped my BIN price just incase.  I figure prices may jump, stay the same, or tank (obviously), since i am in no hurry to sell i rather hold for personal build in the latter two scenarios or proft big.

• 1 month later...