Bricklink's AFOL Designer Program 2019

I'm contemplating buying Eight Studs. Does anyone know if there will be instructions included for the alternative arrangements shown in the photos? Or perhaps it will be simple and obvious, like with Lego's modular buildings, where you're just rearranging big chunks - not having to rebuild. 

23 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

Did you happen to catch if this expansion is designed to be combined with the first with technic pins, like modulars?

Don't know about specific pins, but this is meant to complete the backside of the same castle - so I would imagine that substituting a few pieces with pin pieces shouldn't be that difficult (below is the back of the first one). 

893617.jpg

1 hour ago, hockeyweasel said:

How does the designer think he'll get this expansion set into people's hands?

He'll sell the MOC instructions with or without parts packs?

Yes, He plans on selling the instructions.

40 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

One would think the expansion for the best selling set of Round 1 would be a no-brainer for Round 2.

I agree, and wish that it was sold as a complete set (not just the instructions).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hockeyweasel said:

How does the designer think he'll get this expansion set into people's hands?

He assumes he'll get chosen for round 2 and assumes there will be a round 2?  He'll sell the MOC instructions with or without parts packs?

He's quite active under the comment thread for his castle:https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/afoldesigner_winner_model.page?id=62780

He's promised to share his MOC expansion instructions on Rebrickable once he's finished: His current page: https://rebrickable.com/users/Raziel_Regulus/mocs/

Finally, here's a recent comment that may shed some light on your questions about the bricks:

"I do what I can, but the thing with obtainablility is that it is a very relative term. The price for a specific piece can practically change drastically overnight, so I decided to focus more on Löwenstein Castle's partslist for reference. Currently the expansion has about 1500 pieces, about 1000 of which can be found in the original set. For the remaining parts I try to use ones not too specific, so that you can either get them from other LEGO themes or you already have them in your collection (the hut's red timber framing is an example for that). Another thing: The prices for some of the more useful elements for castles are partly ridiculous because of this "castle drought", like the rock pieces and arches, so I really would recommend considering to get a second Löwenstein if you plan to expand the set in any way really, unless you already have a big castle collection."

• Like 4

23 hours ago, CathyVT said:

I'm contemplating buying Eight Studs. Does anyone know if there will be instructions included for the alternative arrangements shown in the photos? Or perhaps it will be simple and obvious, like with Lego's modular buildings, where you're just rearranging big chunks - not having to rebuild. 

I only skimmed the content over, but the concept is that it is supposed to be "obvious" by just rearranging big chunks, ie modular.

21 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

He's quite active under the comment thread for his castle:https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/afoldesigner_winner_model.page?id=62780

He's promised to share his MOC expansion instructions on Rebrickable once he's finished: His current page: https://rebrickable.com/users/Raziel_Regulus/mocs/

Finally, here's a recent comment that may shed some light on your questions about the bricks:

"I do what I can, but the thing with obtainablility is that it is a very relative term. The price for a specific piece can practically change drastically overnight, so I decided to focus more on Löwenstein Castle's partslist for reference. Currently the expansion has about 1500 pieces, about 1000 of which can be found in the original set. For the remaining parts I try to use ones not too specific, so that you can either get them from other LEGO themes or you already have them in your collection (the hut's red timber framing is an example for that). Another thing: The prices for some of the more useful elements for castles are partly ridiculous because of this "castle drought", like the rock pieces and arches, so I really would recommend considering to get a second Löwenstein if you plan to expand the set in any way really, unless you already have a big castle collection."

Great. This is pushing me to buy a 2nd Lowenstein.

28 minutes ago, Belac said:

I could probably get the green light for the expansion purchase for personal build if released. Not likely OK'd for a second castle plus BL pieces plus instructions.  looks cool though.      Castle was my first Lego love:)

What would happen if you defied the red light and purchased it anyway?

9 minutes ago, KShine said:

What would happen if you defied the red light and purchased it anyway?

I would have more Lego   :)!  I try not to rock the boat for the wrong reasons.    I'm still newer to that Bricklink site so I wonder if lets say everyone who has the castle tries to make expansion will there be enough of those pieces on the market and will the price for those get steep?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, minicoopers11 said:

I only skimmed the content over, but the concept is that it is supposed to be "obvious" by just rearranging big chunks, ie modular.

Great. This is pushing me to buy a 2nd Lowenstein.

Same, I'll read more into this...but if buying a second gets me 60-75% of the pieces (especially that they are new and likely from the same production lot) than I'm in.

In the event that the expansion does get approved/produced for a second round, then I'll sell my other copy.

Edited by eliminator

37 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

anyone know if LotR Helms Deep have compatible castle bricks? there's a craigslist ad for a used set nearby at a reasonable price.

No double the bley bricks, arches, and dark bley slopes will be useful. Regardless, I say get it! Helms Deep is awesome.

Shameless plug:

f8BIKSUh.jpg

1YBh7dq.jpg

Edited by locidm
  • Like 5

On 3/8/2019 at 4:29 PM, locidm said:

Another angle:

bfblrGt.png

It looks just too good complete or maybe it's incomplete looking without. Whatever the reason Im in for a second one as im sure ill have in supply the other 500 or so pieces ill need.        Ill keep watching rebrickable site for instructions and parts list for expnasion,  but if i miss them, someone  post where to find  please. 

Rebrickable is where the builder said he'd post them.

Edited by Belac

• 2 weeks later...

2031382418_Screenshot(7).thumb.png.9e5703de33a03ebffb94e4242de7147a.png

Love some of the ideas here!      Although,

My impression on these BL crowd funding sets is that reselling may not have a lot of promise as they are not marked as Lego.  which could cause an issue selling on say amazon. While i'm not quite on there selling yet, from what I read It sounds like they in particular can get weird about titles and credit and whatnot.  Also consumers don't really know about these much. Not cheap either.  And yet , More buzz will help.   Down to 25 days to pre-order!   There is probably one or two anybody would want for a collection.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:22 PM, Belac said:

Love some of the ideas here!      Although,

My impression on these BL crowd funding sets is that reselling may not have a lot of promise as they are not marked as Lego.  which could cause an issue selling on say amazon. While i'm not quite on there selling yet, from what I read It sounds like they in particular can get weird about titles and credit and whatnot.  Also consumers don't really know about these much. Not cheap either.  And yet , More buzz will help.   Down to 25 days to pre-order!   There is probably one or two anybody would want for a collection.

isn't it a plus (for small time re-sellers) that these may not be a good "fit" for FBA? due to the purchase limit of 3, can't hoard readily anyway.

Also the boxes are not planned to be branded "LEGO" but Lego is supposed to be a co-brand since they will want to clearly show that all pieces are manufactured and provided by LEgo and are authentic.