Bricklink's AFOL Designer Program 2019

14 hours ago, Belac said:

942903631_Screenshot(10).thumb.png.b74e64cb63e4b4ccfed2e30e0d4a8c28.pngThe boxes have been revealed...at least a hint of.     And a STICKER!

I also like the numbered boxes, and the sticker (hologram for authenticity perhaps) - The clean look with the black box certainly makes it look collectible.

Render of inner box featuring a thankyou message on a card.

15 hours ago, Belac said:

942903631_Screenshot(10).thumb.png.b74e64cb63e4b4ccfed2e30e0d4a8c28.pngThe boxes have been revealed...at least a hint of.     And a STICKER!

Preliminary or final, I find the simplicity here to fit these fan builds just fine. Perhaps the plain canvas is not as showy of a typical official LEGO set yet here I think it keeps the focus on what is important; the build itself period. Also these with the set name and designer down the sides seem nice for storing the boxes as you would a book in a shelf.

15 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

I think the built in scenery is a cool touch!

I agree. The builds on their own are already display worthy but this is a nice touch indeed. Kind of harkens back to some of the classic sets with flip tops or where the box would open up.

• Like 1

my newb perspective as a re-seller: it checks all the boxes

hard part is figuring out resell strategy.  Obviously the castle has the highest ceiling but also the highest price...the winner may be the smaller set that's commercially attractive

a plus is that these boxes look to be easier to ship

I don't know about you all but I am going max on any that is in danger of selling out  (less then 100) b4 tax day

my newb perspective as a re-seller: it checks all the boxes
hard part is figuring out resell strategy.  Obviously the castle has the highest ceiling but also the highest price...the winner may be the smaller set that's commercially attractive
a plus is that these boxes look to be easier to ship

I don't know about you all but I am going max on any that is in danger of selling out  (less then 100) b4 tax day

None are close to selling out, if we can trust bricklink’s statement that no more than 2500 copies of each set will be made.

There will be a push in these last few days of resellers buying, but the one thing really missing from this project was marketing outside of Bricklink and I think they will address that if there is a next round.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum

6 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

None are close to selling out, if we can trust bricklink’s statement that no more than 2500 copies of each set will be made.

There will be a push in these last few days of resellers buying, but the one thing really missing from this project was marketing outside of Bricklink and I think they will address that if there is a next round.

I don't see why there wouldn't be a next round considering most of the designs have been funded. to me "funded" means they have covered development costs and everything extra is gravy. So a resounding success. The series will only get more popular moving forward meaning the popular ones from this series 1 should only appreciate in value. My guess is onece the dust settles and no more are being made; 2xRPP seems a reasonable plateau, but could reach 3xRRP (altho we all know how hard it is to move a $600 set...looking right at the SSD) 

7 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I don't see why there wouldn't be a next round considering most of the designs have been funded. to me "funded" means they have covered development costs and everything extra is gravy. So a resounding success. The series will only get more popular moving forward meaning the popular ones from this series 1 should only appreciate in value. My guess is onece the dust settles and no more are being made; 2xRPP seems a reasonable plateau, but could reach 3xRRP (altho we all know how hard it is to move a $600 set...looking right at the SSD) 

And when you are trying to move those big money sets online, you become a target for scammers. I think all I will be buying from this wave of sets is the fire engine for a personal build.  

Meanwhile, only 500 units remain. BL admin clarified that after the 2,500 units sold, it is not logistically possible for more to be made. 

Admin_Russell6 hours ago
In one of the ADP videos I entertained the possibility of a surge or a "run" when it came to selling these sets. We have 3 days left for free shipping and based on the sales this past week and the fact that a Brothers Brick review of Loewenstein Castle will be published any day now, it could happen that the rest of this set sells out in a matter of hours. So if you are on the fence about purchasing one (or a second or third copy), now is the time to do it. Once the 2500 limit is reached, no more will be made. It would be impossible actually to make more - logistically that would require a restart of the entire program.
Edited by locidm

10 hours ago, eliminator said:

Besides the castle, any other potential "winners"? Perhaps the Wild West Saloon or maybe even the Science Tower....or the Skyline Express.

I'm tempted to bump up to 3x castles.

Not looking at these sets for investment. Not sure if there's a long term demand for them. Maybe it's different in the US/Canada. But I don't think here in Europe there's much demand for these 3rd party (not official) LEGO sets. I only bought 2 designs (one each) for myself.

Guest TabbyBoy

Has anybody weighed the bricks so that we can determine price per gram (NOT per brick FCOL !!!) ?

The castle will likely be prime target so this could be a race to the bottom I'm afraid, we all know that >90% will be for reselling! We have Bright Bricks in the UK (LEGO Certified Professional) which can fetch good money, but the best sets (eg. Bridges and Cathedrals) are VERY difficult to find and are strictly 1 per household, if you can find them. They make their money by being commissioned which doesn't come cheap. As for discounts, no chance! If you ever go to a UK Cathedral, head straight for the gift shop. You may also notice that these sets often sell out on the first day and appear on eBay that evening!

Are these Bricklink sets LEGO Certified Professional? If not, I can't really see the value in them. Anybody can box up bricks and make it look pretty - sorry!

25 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

The castle will likely be prime target so this could be a race to the bottom I'm afraid, we all know that >90% will be for reselling! 

Are these Bricklink sets LEGO Certified Professional? If not, I can't really see the value in them. Anybody can box up bricks and make it look pretty - sorry!

Absurd.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, oneknightr said:

Every set seems to have 1 unique piece. I wonder what it is? Sorry if this was mentioned here in an earlier post.

It will likely be a printed commemorative brick. I can't see one specific piece being properly implemented into the various builds, so it will likely be a piece separate from the set.

A commemorative minifig would be really nice, but it will likely be a brick.

• Like 1

It will likely be a printed commemorative brick. I can't see one specific piece being properly implemented into the various builds, so it will likely be a piece separate from the set.
A commemorative minifig would be really nice, but it will likely be a brick.

Very true. The design limitations for this opening round were pretty strict, with very little leeway in what types of parts were used, all had to be in current production and generally not that unique.

I’m not sure about the resale market. This is really laser focused on North America consumers because of the free shipping limitations. Since the audience is AFOL, that certainly lowers the field of potential buyers. Most here see the castle as the clear winner, but I could see room for decent growth in some of the mid sized sets for resale. The science tower, hot shot, and city set all could have an younger audience.

This is great overall for the program and MOCs in general. However, it really sucks for those three designers whose builds won’t make.

Guest TabbyBoy
21 minutes ago, KShine said:

Absurd.

Why? I asked a question and IMHO, this is a risk. Remember that a lot of people (most of our target market) have never heard of Bricklink. Bright Bricks on the other hand... My biggest ever buyer (who has over 50,000 sets has never heard of BL, nor did I until a year ago.

19 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Why? I asked a question and IMHO, this is a risk. Remember that a lot of people (most of our target market) have never heard of Bricklink. Bright Bricks on the other hand... My biggest ever buyer (who has over 50,000 sets has never heard of BL, nor did I until a year ago.

Over 90% are for reselling? If not LEGO Certified Professional, you can't really see the value in them?

1679 backers have purchased 2003 sets so far (Castle), and many buyers are looking to use a 2nd set towards building the add-on set that is being designed by the builder - so that over 90% theory doesn't really seem to make much sense.

As far as value of The Lowenstein Castle , the price is actually too low (under any circumstances) - I assume that they simply had a limit to what they determined a price point for the sets should be.

People will want this set (it is a keeper), and if they can not buy it directly - they will certainly pay a premium to a reseller. It might not be $1,000 - but there will be premium.

Edited by KShine

If a person simply goes to Ebay because they want a LEGO castle, what are they looking at around the $200 price range? (there isn't anything).

I think the biggest hurdle to future resale is another castle release by LEGO, which I assume will be coming in the next year or two.

By the way, has anyone seen a cost to Bricklink the parts needed for this set? That would be a good cost comparison.

Am I reading this correctly about the "expansion set"??? To me, buying a second castle WON'T get you all the pieces needed for expansion, and you will still need to Bricklink an additional 600 pieces?

" To all asking, the expansion still is work in progress. I only made one render to give a little preview. The expansion will consist of about 1600 pieces, 1000 of which can be found in the set. I shared the partslist of the 600 that remain so everyone can make a better informed decision on whether to buy a second Löwenstein or not for the expansion, since you would have to get those 600 parts seperately. As soon as the instructions for the expansion are done, they will be published through Rebrickable: https://rebrickable.com/users/Raziel_Regulus/mocs/ "

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

you've been on here over 6 years but hadn't heard of BL until a year ago ? 

• Like 4