Jump to content

Ideas #024: 21316 - The Flintstones

Recommended Posts

Guest TabbyBoy

How many of you snubbed the Delorean and regret it now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

A lot thought the same about the disgusting Delorean, but look how well that has done, it's all about the theme. Scooby Doo sets weren't to my taste either, but the theme made me go in balls deep.

I'll reserve judgement until I have one in hand as I have every IDEAS set to date since. Yes, I have Exo suit and Adventure Time!

Back to the Future made $389M USD worldwide and Ghostbusters made $540M USD worldwide in 1985.  After Delorean's surprising appreciation, one would think that the nostalgia factor for a box office success was a good formula for picking and choosing Ideas investments.

How many went deep on Ecto-1 21108 thinking it'd be a repeat of 21103 and now regret it?

Scooby Doo has had episodes on cartoon network from 2010 and a recent direct-to-video movie, so you had both the nostalgia factor and a new generation of kids familiar with the characters.  All the sets in the theme have appreciated well, and I regret not stocking up.

In contrast, the Flintstones seems to be banking on the nostalgia factor and Ideas collectors, because it has only had one direct-to-video in 2015.  I don't expect kids to know what the heck it is, and if they do, they've moved on.  Good or not, I'm afraid to touch this one at full price.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, hockeyweasel said:

Back to the Future made $389M USD worldwide and Ghostbusters made $540M USD worldwide in 1985.  After Delorean's surprising appreciation, one would think that the nostalgia factor for a box office success was a good formula for picking and choosing Ideas investments.

How many went deep on Ecto-1 21108 thinking it'd be a repeat of 21103 and now regret it?

Scooby Doo has had episodes on cartoon network from 2010 and a recent direct-to-video movie, so you had both the nostalgia factor and a new generation of kids familiar with the characters.  All the sets in the theme have appreciated well, and I regret not stocking up.

In contrast, the Flintstones seems to be banking on the nostalgia factor and Ideas collectors, because it has only had one direct-to-video in 2015.  I don't expect kids to know what the heck it is, and if they do, they've moved on.  Good or not, I'm afraid to touch this one at full price.

This! ^^^

A couple of months ago, I walked into my 6yo son's room and noticed him watching Scooby Doo on Netflix (or Amazon) and I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know what got him to start watching it but there he was. This definitely boosted the sales of Scooby Doo sets. Flintstones? I bet you no kids are watching that right now. 

Edited by oneknightr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest TabbyBoy
41 minutes ago, hockeyweasel said:

Back to the Future made $389M USD worldwide and Ghostbusters made $540M USD worldwide in 1985.  After Delorean's surprising appreciation, one would think that the nostalgia factor for a box office success was a good formula for picking and choosing Ideas investments.

How many went deep on Ecto-1 21108 thinking it'd be a repeat of 21103 and now regret it?

Scooby Doo has had episodes on cartoon network from 2010 and a recent direct-to-video movie, so you had both the nostalgia factor and a new generation of kids familiar with the characters.  All the sets in the theme have appreciated well, and I regret not stocking up.

In contrast, the Flintstones seems to be banking on the nostalgia factor and Ideas collectors, because it has only had one direct-to-video in 2015.  I don't expect kids to know what the heck it is, and if they do, they've moved on.  Good or not, I'm afraid to touch this one at full price.

Resellers really stocked up on 21108, meaning an enormous supply which far exceeded demand. Of course, they were jumping on the bandwagon to hopefully take the same route as 21103. Anyhow, I stocked up on 21108 at much bigger discounts than 21103, so I'm still a happy bunny if I sold now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The obvious lack of Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm (who knew that was the correct spelling of that name?) makes me wonder about a potential Hanna Barbera CMF series down the road.  I wouldn't think you could fit Dino in a blind bag, but they could take the opportunity to correct Barney's legs - if he's really coming with full size legs.

Edited by Dr Jedi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was the first Ideas set that I supported, and it would have been a day one purchase, for personal build. However, this monstrosity that they are showing, if the final version, I WILL NOT BUY for personal build at all!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, the build includes interior of the house too (watch the last minute of the speed build video).  Although I would rather they removed the rack of ribs and included Dino instead

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

To be fair, the build includes interior of the house too (watch the last minute of the speed build video).  Although I would rather they removed the rack of ribs and included Dino instead

Issues:

The box art is horrendous

They’ve excluded two minifigures, the Bedrock sign, and the platform under the car from the original Ideas set.

The scale seems off between the house and car.

*edit* Barney really should have medium sized legs so that he was both shorter than the others and able to sit in the car.

 

Positives:

The final model has a second row for Barney and Betty the original model didn’t have.

The final model’s 2x2 round tile axel ends are better than the 1x1 round tile on the original.

I like the fabric top of the car better than the brick built top.   

I think the official model’s house exterior is better/cleaner than the original.

 

I actually like the model, I just think the box art does it no favors.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Quacs said:

I think the official model’s house exterior is better/cleaner than the original.

That's the problem - It isn't supposed to look smooth & clean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks alright to me.  Barney should have short legs. Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t the cartoon start out with the four of them only?  It was basically a cartoon version of The Honeymooners set in prehistoric times. They added the other characters later on. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Looks alright to me.  Barney should have short legs. Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t the cartoon start out with the four of them only?  It was basically a cartoon version of The Honeymooners set in prehistoric times. They added the other characters later on. 

IIRC the cartoon started with the 4 and Dino.  This is mainly why I want Dino in the set

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Looks alright to me.  Barney should have short legs. Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t the cartoon start out with the four of them only?  It was basically a cartoon version of The Honeymooners set in prehistoric times. They added the other characters later on. 

Well, they had a sabretooth kitty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Foreman Porgy said:

Speak of Dino’s, isn’t there a dinosaur bubble rumor going around? 

 Hmmm... Maybe a flintstones mech?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Foreman Porgy said:

Speak of Dino’s, isn’t there a dinosaur bubble rumor going around? 

LEGO could have included helicopter, mech, or Dino in this set and they chose neither. :(

1 minute ago, locidm said:

What’s the u-shaped thing off the side of the car?

Fast food

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't they JUST MAKE shortish legs in the Harry Potter line? What were they thinking for Barney? And at least give me a brick built Dino if nothing else. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What’s the u-shaped thing off the side of the car?


It’s the spare ribs that Fred orders in the closing credits that tips the car over.

IMG_2044.JPG

I think my big problem with this set is I wanted Dino, Pebbles and Bam-Bam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


It’s the spare ribs that Fred orders in the closing credits that tips the car over.


Thanks. Wow even with imagination I have a hard time getting ribs out of that thing.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...