Hidden Side 2019

I like the innovation and concept. I just don't think it is a good fit for Lego. Part of the brand's enduring appeal to parents is the concept of unplugging tech and letting imagination take over, letting the kid build what he likes without a TV or computer. Also, letting a kid build a kit outside of what the instructions ask for. This seems like a novelty, one that has a strong initial draw , then progressively diminishes after a day or so. 

Here are a few fundamental questions I have:

Will the model function with the app if bricks are missing or directions aren't followed exactly? 

What sort of support will exist for the app after the theme retires? Imagine  the SNAD claim or Amazon return comments 3 or 4 years from now after a parent drops x4 or x5 rrp on a concept that is no longer supported. 

How many young kids (or parents) actually have the space to keep their Lego kits fully assembled and displayed? 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

I like the innovation and concept. I just don't think it is a good fit for Lego. Part of the brand's enduring appeal to parents is the concept of unplugging tech and letting imagination take over, letting the kid build what he likes without a TV or computer. Also, letting a kid build a kit outside of what the instructions ask for. This seems like a novelty, one that has a strong initial draw , then progressively diminishes after a day or so. 

Here are a few fundamental questions I have:

Will the model function with the app if bricks are missing or directions aren't followed exactly? 

What sort of support will exist for the app after the theme retires? Imagine  the SNAD claim or Amazon return comments 3 or 4 years from now after a parent drops x4 or x5 rrp on a concept that is no longer supported. 

How many young kids (or parents) actually have the space to keep their Lego kits fully assembled and displayed? 

I agree. I got my son into trains and LEGO early, and wanting him to be hands on with their play time as opposed to spending his time on screens.
Unfortunately, having said that, kids are growing up in an environment where no matter how hard we try they will inevitably be heavily exposed to screens.

From another point of view, I think if LEGO makes augmented reality truly appealing, there's an argument to be made that it would encourage kids to build those LEGOs more if they want to enjoy the game.

As an app developer, when it comes to augmented reality in its current stages, there's really only a few tricks to identifying the thing you're trying to augment. It's either going to be specific markers (I.E. a barcode, a sticker symbol...etc.), and specific shapes and/or colors.

For these LEGO augmented reality sets, it's either going to be special pieces ("markers"), special stickers, or the shape and color of the set. From the video above, it appears LEGO is going by shape, so on the one hand, if you lose a sizable chunk from the set the app won't work. On the other hand, you could supplement the missing pieces with any other pieces of differing colors.

Lastly, as for the apps, they're not multiplayer or server-oriented so there needs no continuous support. Perhaps in the beginning there may be some support for newly discovered bugs, tweaks, and improvements, but once the set and app reaches its lifespan...in theory, the app could exist in perpetuity on the app store.

I believe technology is neither good nor bad, it's really how it's utilized. Here's hoping LEGO considers more on the enticement of hands on play aspect of their products as opposed to only pursuing profit and diminishing the hands on aspect.

Edited by dx0520
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Question to all native English speakers: Wouldn't it have been more fitting/intuitive to call the theme "Hidden Site" instead of "Hidden Side"?

Hidden Site implies a single location, a single thing, or in LEGO sense a single set.

Hidden Side sounds more like an alternate layer of reality, which seems more fitting, and can apply to a theme of sets.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, DadsAFOL said:

I like the concept for this theme, but i'm not digging the sticker explosion.  Holy crap that's a lot of stickers.   From an AR design perspective, wouldn't have been better to have more blank surfaces that you could sticker virtually in the app to allow for changes?

Based on the demo, the stickers seem to be part of the interaction.  Most likely not all of the stickers, but a good bunch seems to be scannable.  LEGO already included sticker scanning in Nexo Knights sets and app games.  So this is just the next use of that tech

• Like 1

• 2 months later...