Ideas #025: 21317 - Steamboat Willie

LEGO-Ideas-21317-Steamboat-Willie-1-1.thumb.jpg.5ce17118dd3fd76d77138a0e26808e0f.jpg

LEGO-Ideas-21317-Steamboat-Willie-5-1.thumb.jpg.82d4c7d830b6630af1d284a60d3129a6.jpgLEGO-Ideas-21317-Steamboat-Willie-10.thumb.jpg.1dbcdf6c899e9a8e5c43ffbc82ef2418.jpgLEGO-Ideas-21317-Steamboat-Willie-7.thumb.jpg.f9b01d0d0315ab8ac3bbd71df7150139.jpg

Disney Mickey Mouse fans will love this LEGO® Ideas 21317 Steamboat Willie building toy marking the 90th anniversary of the most famous cartoon character ever. Mickey Mouse made his screen debut in a 1928 black-and-white animated short film called ‘Steamboat Willie’, which was also the first Disney film to have synchronized sound. This LEGO brick version of the S.S. Willie features steam pipes that move up and down and paddle wheels that rotate when the boat is pushed along. The boat’s bridge has room for a minifigure and play-inspiring nautical details such as the ship’s wheel, life buoy and buildable bell. On deck there is a working crane to lift the ‘potato bin’ cargo aboard and this unique toy building set comes with new-for-April-2019 Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse minifigures, each with special silver-colored decoration, plus a parrot figure. An ideal LEGO set for kids and adults to recreate scenes from the original Mickey Mouse cartoon or simply build and display this striking monochrome model.

• Build and display this collectible LEGO® set or recreate your favorite scenes from the classic Disney Mickey Mouse cartoon, ‘Steamboat Willie’.
  • This unique toy building set includes 2 new-for-April-2019 minifigures: Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse, each with silver-colored decoration, plus Mickey Mouse’s parrot figure.
  • The iconic Steamboat Willie boat features a black-and-white color scheme, hidden wheels, moving steam pipes, rotating paddle wheels, adjustable crane and assorted elements including the ‘S.S. Willie’ boat name sign, ‘1928’ year sign and a ‘potato bin’.
  • The boat’s bridge has space for a minifigure, a brick-built bell and assorted elements including the ship’s wheel and life buoy.
  • The 2 steam pipes move up and down and the 2 paddle wheels rotate when the boat is pushed along.
  • Accessory elements include Minnie Mouse’s guitar and music sheet.
  • This LEGO® Ideas creative toy building set comes with a booklet with building instructions, fun facts about the historic 1928 animated Disney short film ‘Steamboat Willie’, and information about this awesome retro set’s fan creator and LEGO designers.
  • Steamboat Willie toy boat measures over 5” (15cm) high, 10” (26cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.

Price is going to be €89,99 (Germany, Netherlands, Ireland, Spain...)

Edited by HandyHand
  • Like 6

Guest TabbyBoy
10 minutes ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Does the Mickey Mouse fanbase really care about a misprint for this. I understand the observation (First Run Villager Amiibo comes to mind) but I wonder how much fans will care. Lego claim they are going to fix this, but it would be interesting to try and gauge the production run numbers from when we see the correction in retail stores.

The "error" didn't make a blind bit of difference with the 21103 Delorean. I've been trying to gauge production numbers on recent sets with push tabs as some appear to have serial numbers as well as seal codes.

Guest TabbyBoy
25 minutes ago, lebrick said:

Wait. What's the misprint? 

Edit, nvm I thought there were misprints on the lego pieces. 

LOL... I have some with L*P*N are they worth more? ?

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

LOL... I have some with L*P*N are they worth more? ?

saw somebody on ebay asking $500 for the misprinted version. funny thing is, even the seller doesn't know which version he/she is going to receive.... what a joke 

Guest TabbyBoy
21 minutes ago, superlegolover said:

saw somebody on ebay asking $500 for the misprinted version. funny thing is, even the seller doesn't know which version he/she is going to receive.... what a joke 

It's tempting to order knowing that you're protected and then leave negative feedback after opening a SNAD case. It really annoys me when sellers offer things for sale that they don't have to hand. Anyway, there'll be thousands with the "error" and returns will be likely once sold.

I'd start off with sending a message to offer $250 (likely accepted) and then simply make them sweat by not replying when they agree.

the errors game always seems to be a "hot potato" game for resellers...all fun and profits until you're the last one still holding...a potato no one wants

...as for this set...it checks a lot of boxes for me:

something special and different from LEgo

Looks alright and nostalgic

I'll probably wait for a decent sale (20-30% off) or an attractive gift w/ purchase and get one w/ the intention of personal build...(ie opportunistic when I get around to building it in a year or 3)..if it hits 50%+ then I'll get a couple more because its Disney.

Guest TabbyBoy
54 minutes ago, superlegolover said:

Reply from seller...

bricks4sail is delighted that you're interested in this item and has sent you an offer:

You can buy this item for US $250.00 ( 49% off ) excluding postage until 5:19 pm on 21 March

Someone else could buy this item, so take advantage of it while you can.

He has 2 days to sweat ?

Reply from seller...
bricks4sail is delighted that you're interested in this item and has sent you an offer:
You can buy this item for US $250.00 ( 49% off ) excluding postage until 5:19 pm on 21 March
Someone else could buy this item, so take advantage of it while you can.
He has 2 days to sweat

Unless he’s here reading your posts.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

looks like these minifigs wont be exclusive and will also be in the recently announced Disney Minifigure Series 2.  

Edit: Just saw this tid bit, so the value could still be there for these minifigs.  'These are slightly different lacking the metallic silver accents and instead coming with white shorts and shoes instead of grey.'

Edited by BricksBrotha
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BricksBrotha said:

looks like these minifigs wont be exclusive and will also be in the recently announced Disney Minifigure Series 2.  

Edit: Just saw this tid bit, so the value could still be there for these minifigs.  'These are slightly different lacking the metallic silver accents and instead coming with white shorts and shoes instead of grey.'

Thats a bad move Lego.

Meanwhile... at TLG headquarters:

#2:”I have a great idea for an April fools joke. First we’ll mark up the new Steamboat Ideas set to some ridiculous price like $90. Then we’ll offer the exclusive mini figures for $3.99 each. If we could make it the easiest to smoosh, and the most abundant in the cmf box... hilarious!”

#1: “what a great idea!”

#2: “yeah, the Ideas guys would be furious. Sales would bottom out. VPs would lose their job. It would be a disaster! LOL”

#1: “what were you saying? I saw something shiny. AnywAys. By the smile on your face I’ll assume you struck gold and will run with your idea. See you later.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, donbee said:

Meanwhile... at TLG headquarters:

#2:”I have a great idea for an April fools joke. First we’ll mark up the new Steamboat Ideas set to some ridiculous price like $90. Then we’ll offer the exclusive mini figures for $3.99 each. If we could make it the easiest to smoosh, and the most abundant in the cmf box... hilarious!”

#1: “what a great idea!”

#2: “yeah, the Ideas guys would be furious. Sales would bottom out. VPs would lose their job. It would be a disaster! LOL”

#1: “what were you saying? I saw something shiny. AnywAys. By the smile on your face I’ll assume you struck gold and will run with your idea. See you later.”

OK, I think this is being blown out of proportion a bit. There's more to the steamboat set than the minifigures. Rex Dangervest is in some big, expensive The Lego Movie 2 sets, but you can also get him as a CMF. But no one was freaking out saying the big expensive sets were worthless because you can get the minifigures elsewhere.

1 minute ago, CathyVT said:

OK, I think this is being blown out of proportion a bit. There's more to the steamboat set than the minifigures. Rex Dangervest is in some big, expensive The Lego Movie 2 sets, but you can also get him as a CMF. But no one was freaking out saying the big expensive sets were worthless because you can get the minifigures elsewhere.

IDK...I would think a large proportion of the market (those that collect Disney...NOT Lego) for the Steamboat set has been removed just by the release of the equivalent CMF...the boat itself is OK...in a duplo kind of way...but doesn't jump of the page as a cool set in itself (IMO).

That said...the example provided are not equivalent because collectors of Rex are far fewer than collectors of Disney...the prolific nature of CMFs makes the minifigures somewhat everywhere...and the uniqueness and nostalgic shine rubs off really quick when something like that happens....which is the biggest selling point of the Steamboat set.

For me this set went from a Probably get one at RRP w/ promos to must wait  till at LEAST 30% off and then still a maybe.

• Like 1

Also being missed in the comparison is the $0.12 per piece vs $0.08 per piece.   You are just getting less overall bricks at the expense of Disney License, and TLG could have increased the perceived value by keeping the minifugs exclusive.

@CathyVT, you cant forget this is an invensting site.  Looking strictly through a collector lens will show your bias.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

Also being missed in the comparison is the $0.12 per piece vs $0.08 per piece.   You are just getting less overall bricks at the expense of Disney License, and TLG could have increased the perceived value by keeping the minifugs exclusive.

@CathyVT, you cant forget this is an invensting site.  Looking strictly through a collector or AFOL lens will show your bias. Just speculating overall value for terms of investment is all.

OK, yes, from an investment standpoint, the value of the set is lessened somewhat by similar CMFs being released (they aren't the same - there are differences). But saying VPs will be fired, sales will plummet, and it will be "a disaster" is a bit of hyperbole. I wonder what people would have said if the CMFs had been revealed first, then the set, with these exclusive versions of the minifigures. I doubt there would have been as much complaining.

Guest TabbyBoy
23 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

@CathyVT, you cant forget this is an invensting site.  Looking strictly through a collector lens will show your bias.

Why are people so hung up on price per piece rather than price per weight?

What the best value.... 100x 32x32 grey baseplates for $100 or 100x 1x1 tiles for $50?

27 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Why are people so hung up on price per piece rather than price per weight?

What the best value.... 100x 32x32 grey baseplates for $100 or 100x 1x1 tiles for $50?

same folks who demand a larger box for a pricier set...bane of resellers everywhere...imagine a day when Legos are packaged according to actual mass/volume instead of dominating shelf space...dare i dream of NISB UCS sets that fit in medium size fixed priced packages!!!

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

I get what you are saing, but only maybe in a vacuum does your example work.  Comparing individual peices or base plates to that of a complete set is a moot point. Loose pieces and baseplates dont have the same fees built into boxed sets do like R&D, Marketing, LIcensing fees t

No I am not getting hung up on ppp, just using data available to try and compare value.

Also, to humor you, are those 1x1 tiles printed, rare number/color or have a hologram sticker? ;^)  Would you rather have 10 Elsa Brickheadz for $80 or 5 Emmet Brickheadz for $75?  

We all know had this ideas set been the only place to get these minifigs, the sets potential value could have been much higher. 

Edited by BricksBrotha
typo