75227 - Darth Vader Bust

lazuli16

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

Yes but most importantly, how many of these sets are going to be produced? If it's limited to 5000 but with no sticker, I can see this set appreciating nicely. But if production is not limited in any way, there will be plenty to go around, even if it's limited to Redcard holders only.

... for now!

For all we know, they'll be unstickered, 5,000,000+ to be made and will soon be piled up high at all major retailers... Worldwide!

The 41999 4x4 Crawler did fine with 20,000 made, 5,000 is a dead cert winner.

The $64,000 question.

5 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

... for now!

For all we know, they'll be unstickered, 5,000,000+ to be made and will soon be piled up high at all major retailers... Worldwide!

The 41999 4x4 Crawler did fine with 20,000 made, 5,000 is a dead cert winner.

The $64,000 question.

shirley something that is labeled "...Chicago celebration..." won't be mass produced and available everywhere...would be a bad look for Lego imo.

no one know anything for sure...best we can do is read the tea leaves and right now the tea leaves spell "Buy at least 6"

19 hours ago, oneknightr said:

Yes but most importantly, how many of these sets are going to be produced? If it's limited to 5000 but with no sticker, I can see this set appreciating nicely. But if production is not limited in any way, there will be plenty to go around, even if it's limited to Redcard holders only.

This is the big question. It doesnt appear any sticker drama this time around as the badge on the box side panel shows the only two places avail for sale. So that point is printed on the box for those wondering about exclusivity. The scary scenario is they produced 50k to cover all needs in Chicago and then linger on target website.  Best case scenario would be only 5K for each event and they both sell out in hours!

DVBust.PNG

15 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

shirley something that is labeled "...Chicago celebration..." won't be mass produced and available everywhere...would be a bad look for Lego imo.

no one know anything for sure...best we can do is read the tea leaves and right now the tea leaves spell "Buy at least 6"

There is a new way of doing business with LEGO and these other large retailers post TRU.  I think you will see more and more of these limited edition sorts of sets.  LEGO likes the Funko model and is incorporating it into its marketing strategy.  

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

There is a new way of doing business with LEGO and these other large retailers post TRU.  I think you will see more and more of these limited edition sorts of sets.  LEGO likes the Funko model and is incorporating it into its marketing strategy.  

Shame that these "exclusives" are in the US only apart from the Royal Guard minifig in Hamleys UK at RRP plus "Hamleys Tax".

27 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Shame that these "exclusives" are in the US only apart from the Royal Guard minifig in Hamleys UK at RRP plus "Hamleys Tax".

Can't BL-ers come together and create an exchange system between our North American, European, and Asian compadres? 

or is there one already and I just don't know the secret hand shake?

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
4 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Can't BL-ers come together and create an exchange system between our North American, European, and Asian compadres? 

or is there one already and I just don't know the secret hand shake?

The problem is shipping costs and customs. However, at least the UK didn't leave the EU today!

3 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

That's because the American market sucks these exclusives up like candy and there is nothing that is comparable to Target or Walmart in the UK or the rest of Europe.  I really get the sense that LEGO is starting to embrace this exclusive marketing ploy.  It works.

46 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

That's because the American market sucks these exclusives up like candy and there is nothing that is comparable to Target or Walmart in the UK or the rest of Europe.  I really get the sense that LEGO is starting to embrace this exclusive marketing ploy.  It works.

well partnering up w/ Walmart or Target will also need to be lucrative for the retail chains as well...obviously Lego gets guaranteed sales based on agreements and shares in the promotion and marketing...but will these exclusives be worthwhile for Walmart and Target to continue to tango?  When does Amazon join in the dance...and how does that change the dynamics...if it's a win-win for all parties...then exclusives in general flood the market every month and may dilute the whole "exclusive" title which will impact re-sell.

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
typo

I'm also curious to know if the promoters of the Chicago event knew about Target stealing their thunder?
They still get the printed label moniker but if I was the promoter and I wasn't told about it...very bad juju

LOL. Like Celebration gives AF about some LEGO. They don’t. Nobody buys tickets to Celebration to get an exclusive LEGO set. You have to enter a raffle and maybe you will win, sell it, and it will pay a part of your ticket cost.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sfcommando14 said:

LOL. Like Celebration gives AF about some LEGO. They don’t. Nobody buys tickets to Celebration to get an exclusive LEGO set. You have to enter a raffle and maybe you will win, sell it, and it will pay a part of your ticket cost.

honestly I never attended one of these; I assumed that these would be available to attendees for a special price... I didn't know the "exclusive" is a raffle...which (IMO) is a rather lame raffle indeed when the item being raffled can be had for $40 at Target

8 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

honestly I never attended one of these; I assumed that these would be available to attendees for a special price... I didn't know the "exclusive" is a raffle...which (IMO) is a rather lame raffle indeed when the item being raffled can be had for $40 at Target

there is always a raffle, sdcc, nycc, etc, you have to be picked before making the purchase

in some rare scenarios, for example, the last sdcc lego, gave out the apocalypseburg unikitty(?)/black lightning(?) (couldn't remember) for free the last day

• Like 1

Just to be extra clear, it’s a raffle to pay for the set. You don’t win it. You win the chance to buy it, making it extraordinarily lame since it will be available through a retailer.

46 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

Just to be extra clear, it’s a raffle to pay for the set. You don’t win it. You win the chance to buy it, making it extraordinarily lame since it will be available through a retailer.

You're Notified that you won the raffle

You drop everything and head over to the "winner's table"

You hand them your winning ticket

They point to the Target Across the street and tell you can "redeem" your ticket there :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jimking23 said:

The bust not being available on Lego LEGO Shop at Home and not showing up in the Easter catalog would give the impression of limited availability 

that example doesn't work well for bean there donut that,  at one point Target had over 35k available and that was a few months after release

26 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

that example doesn't work well for bean there donut that,  at one point Target had over 35k available and that was a few months after release

Yeah, limited availability isn't the same as limited production.

• Alpinemaps changed the title to 75227 - Darth Vader Bust