Minecraft - Celebrating 10 Years

TheOrcKing

hero_10yearslogo.png

Yep. Minecraft will be turning ten years now and to celebrate, there will be a contest for an all-expense paid trip to the Minecraft exhibition at The Museum of Pop Culture in Seattle, Washington. Additionally if you check back on the first link (or the main Minecraft website) on May 10th then May 17th, there are hints towards possible savings on related merchandise and content. Plus some big news whatever that might be.

MAY 10th UPDATE:

A free celebration map available for both Java and Bedrock edition (bottom of the 10th Anniversary page).

25% off all merchandise (excluding sale items) at the official online Minecraft store. (Discount automatically applied at checkout.)

$10 or so off the base game across a number of platforms.

10% off the top ten items found in the Minecraft Marketplace.

• Like 1

Just an amazing game.  Maybe my all time favorite and I suck at it.  Virtual LEGO with animals, monsters and magic.  Pretty awesome.  Funny, the new game levels are attracting tons of older gamers.  I love watching all the YouTube videos of what people create.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Just an amazing game.  Maybe my all time favorite and I suck at it.  Virtual LEGO with animals, monsters and magic.  Pretty awesome.  Funny, the new game levels are attracting tons of older gamers.  I love watching all the YouTube videos of what people create.  

I still don't get it. Maybe my son doesn't either.  He is lazy and doesn't like building Lego.  He's even lazier, and doesn't like building virtual Lego.

He always just built TNT towers to blow sh!t up.

5 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I still don't get it. Maybe my son doesn't either.  He is lazy and doesn't like building Lego.  He's even lazier, and doesn't like building virtual Lego.

Then get him an online Minecraft modding course for his birthday - that way he learns how to program AND has access to even better ways to blow things up! Some of the kids in my modding classes learned the hard way that spawning in a 100x100x100 cube of TNT and then lighting it up causes your Minecraft world to become unresponsive and basically kills the server .... but they had to try anyways :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Believe me, my son likes blowing stuff up as well.  He had his time with LEGO sets but never really took to them like I did.  Minecraft is an acquired taste.  At first glance, people will say it looks like crappy graphics and awkward motions.  But if you sit there and watch a good player create all sorts of buildings and interactive trap doors and switches and so on, you realize this game is more about real world physics than most.  Kids are learning to be architects or engineers from this game.  

7 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Then get him an online Minecraft modding course for his birthday - that way he learns how to program AND has access to even better ways to blow things up! Some of the kids in my modding classes learned the hard way that spawning in a 100x100x100 cube of TNT and then lighting it up causes your Minecraft world to become unresponsive and basically kills the server .... but they had to try anyways :)

My son plays on the XBOX, but the PC version is where all these awesome mods are created.  

Time just flies by while in that little digital world.   I certainly played my share when I was in my last Lego dark ages.  Was probably the last video game my son and I played together.                 He would kick my tail at everything else.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I know JACK about minecraft...but would like to introduce it to my 7 yr old.  Can someone point me to minecraft for DUmmy's?

What kind of gaming system do you have?  Youtube is the best place to go.  My son watches these two guys....Unspeakable and Preston.  They are both fun, informative and great for kids...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKYb5XBe-5OSEgLijLSoDtw

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJZam2u1G0syq3kyqrCXrNw

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

What kind of gaming system do you have?  Youtube is the best place to go.  My son watches these two guys....Unspeakable and Preston.  They are both fun, informative and great for kids...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKYb5XBe-5OSEgLijLSoDtw

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJZam2u1G0syq3kyqrCXrNw

I have an NES currently set up.  My boy is working on Pacman

At the moment I am seeing a $10 off discount for almost all versions of Minecraft across every platform with 13 days left as of this post.

17 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

Minecraft is a pretty fun and often Zen game that took me a long while before finally caving in to the craze myself ....and all it took was a LEGO Minecraft set. Well since I ended up buying the original first wave of sets in the theme, more like a handful of LEGO Minecraft sets. Haha, anywho.

I have pretty much beaten the game every which way from vanilla survival to every take on Skyblock imaginable. So for the past few years I basically picked a world seed to stick by for leisurely building and exploring. Should there be an update massive enough to change much of the game's structure and/or world generation, I make a copy of the present world then restart the journey over again. I have done so about four times now I believe including the most recent Village & Pillage update. A little daunting to willingly begin the grind time after time but sometimes that initial clean slate feels nice. Also like I mentioned about world generation, using the same seed has to me shown how more refined the algorithms have become.

I could spin tales about the one nearby village just a little east of the spawn point alone on how it was generated into the world through each major change. First time the whole town was created on top of a sink hole. Second was a bit better but there was a big hole to one side for no good reason just sitting there like someone decided to strip mine straight down then gave up halfway. Third time was the start of a fully whole and largely intact town which inspired me to rebuild the heck out of it. Now here I am finally at the fourth time and I almost don't want to rebuild at all. It's just that good.

I watch roughly a couple of YouTube videos each day I do get a chance to play the game for inspiration, news, or simply help getting into the creative flow. Honestly there are a lot of channels to mention. One of my favorite series for building inspirations which unfortunately has not been updated in a while or become rather spotty with them was Welsknight's "Kingdoms" series. The Hermitcraft and Vintagecraft series are also kind of fun.

And now for anyone curious, the world seed I have been using is in fact "LEGO" (all caps, minus the quotation marks) or in numerical values "2332705". Note it is a survival world with cheats enabled only so I can disable hostile mobs from spawning (/gamerule doMobspawing false) and hold onto inventory in case of the various inevitable accidents building in this game entails (/gamerule keepInventory true).

As I mentioned before, I've beat the game countless times. At this point I just would like to build and run around to my heart's content without worry of yet another random Creeper blowing up behind me forcing me to spend more time fixing the scenery than creating it or racing back to my stuff left on the ground to pick it all up before despawning. Yes I could just easily set the game to "Peaceful" mode but I enjoy the survival aspects of hunger and caving still has the chance of encounters thanks to mob spawners.

All in all, a mostly relaxing yet at times exciting experience.

14 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I know JACK about minecraft...but would like to introduce it to my 7 yr old.  Can someone point me to minecraft for DUmmy's?

Well there is an actual Minecraft for Dummies book. However seeing that it was published back in 2015, not sure I could recommend it. Haha. Also noticed there is a Redstone for Dummies as well but again considering how far redstoning techniques and items have advanced since, I would not recommend at all.

Some updates, if you check towards the bottom of the 10th Anniversary page, there is free celebration map available for both Java and Bedrock edition. I don't know how long it will be available for so download while you can.

At the official online Minecraft store, there is a 25% off all merchandise (excluding sale items). Discount will be automatically applied at checkout. A number of LEGO sets are available including the "BigFigs".

Now for the discounts on the base game, here are links to the specific platforms.

And finally 10% off the top ten items found in the Minecraft Marketplace. Also a few free maps for download to check out while there such as The Traveling Trader or Inspiration Island.