10266 - NASA Apollo 11 Lunar Lander

CrabslayerT

Just now, CosmicSpeed said:

This is amazing and a great addition to the Saturn V! I cannot wait for this. In before people asking where the prop lighting parts are...the square plate for the Moon actually makes for a pretty good "faux moon landing" set-up MOC.

Think that brick is supposed to be the reflector they left to measure the lunar distance and speed at which it's accelerating

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CrabslayerT said:

Think that brick is supposed to be the reflector they left to measure the lunar distance and speed at which it's accelerating

I meant the display base the lander is resting on. But thank you for that knowledge, I saw that 2x2 square and didn't know what it was.

A single 10701 gray baseplate would be great to set up a sort of diorama for this set.  Mount it to a piece of stained oak to really have it stand out.  Several of the baseplates would be great to put together all of the space-themed sets this summer.  Jang has been putting off developing his interplanetary defense force area of his city, I wonder if all the space-themed sets will finally put him over the edge.

This will be a day 1 purchase for me.  21309 has varied in price and had occasional deals applied but still hovers around $120.  The quality of the build and what you get at the end was worth getting it right away, I don't see myself waiting on this one.  Depends on price a bit, I suppose?  Apollo Saturn V is about $0.06 / piece.  Using that as a baseline, this set would cost $66.24, roll it up to $69.99 for standard pricing, and add $10-20 for your average Lego tax these days.  I'm guessing $79.99 - $89.99, and wouldn't be surprised if Lego pulled a fast one pushing $99.99 on us.  Is there additional cost from a design standpoint when Lego designs this from scratch as opposed benefiting from a Lego Ideas user doing most of the work and then Lego just adds the finishing touch?

29 minutes ago, MusiKyle said:

A single 10701 gray baseplate would be great to set up a sort of diorama for this set.  Mount it to a piece of stained oak to really have it stand out.  Several of the baseplates would be great to put together all of the space-themed sets this summer.  Jang has been putting off developing his interplanetary defense force area of his city, I wonder if all the space-themed sets will finally put him over the edge.

This will be a day 1 purchase for me.  21309 has varied in price and had occasional deals applied but still hovers around $120.  The quality of the build and what you get at the end was worth getting it right away, I don't see myself waiting on this one.  Depends on price a bit, I suppose?  Apollo Saturn V is about $0.06 / piece.  Using that as a baseline, this set would cost $66.24, roll it up to $69.99 for standard pricing, and add $10-20 for your average Lego tax these days.  I'm guessing $79.99 - $89.99, and wouldn't be surprised if Lego pulled a fast one pushing $99.99 on us.  Is there additional cost from a design standpoint when Lego designs this from scratch as opposed benefiting from a Lego Ideas user doing most of the work and then Lego just adds the finishing touch?

i think the problem with parts per dollar is that the Rocket has many huge pieces and this will have tiny ones. Probably will mess with the math.

Hella awesome ship though, and really enhances the Saturn V

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:02 PM, dennugsmello said:

I heard this comes with an exclusive Stanley Kubrick minifigure? Any truth to this?

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:16 PM, Ed Mack said:

The younger generation has no idea who Stanley Kubrick is.

"Open the LEGO set, Hal."
"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
"....What's the problem?"
"I think you know the problem just as well as I do."
"What are you talking about, Hal?"
"This build is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it."

• Like 3
  • Haha 5