Ideas #026: 21318 - Treehouse

2 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

It's a great set...taking a long time to get this one to market.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/ab7ac32b-e713-489d-bdc6-e14b22738ba8

4869419-o_1btmtfbss117p7dcpu1njdgtpc-a0i5em75Xvnt0w.jpg

The treehouse looks really nice and would be a real change of pace for LEGO.  A great display piece as well.  I wonder if LEGO could license an iconic book like Swiss Family Robinson...millions of great books w/ iconic structures, vehicles, ships, and scenes.

I love this set I’m a big fan of this set. Actually, I’m a big fan of treehouses, lol. I always wanted to put together the LEGO Treehouse that was the tour set (and the smaller retail exclusive), but haven’t picked either up. This will scratch that itch just fine.

This set was approved Oct 2018 so it’s a long time coming. I’m guessing the design team is really giving it a go. I hope the final product isn’t too different as I really like the complexity of this one.

• Like 2

IMO none of the new accepted ideas submissions even current winner(the Dino bones) compare to this build.  My understanding is that this won an earlier round, correct?  This tree house looks fun to build and nice to display. 

In for three!!! :thumbsu:

5 hours ago, Belac said:

IMO none of the new accepted ideas submissions even current winner(the Dino bones) compare to this build.  My understanding is that this won an earlier round, correct?  This tree house looks fun to build and nice to display. 

In for three!!! :thumbsu:

Yes.  This was announced as a winner last September, I believe.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Man, hard to please everyone. As is, the Ideas submission would have been much more than $200. I thought the original is cool, but the released one actually looks pretty great in comparison.

I think its a great playset that my kids will enjoy. IMO, this has more general appeal than the Ideas version. Maybe they tried to get a license for SFR at some point but were unable to pull the trigger.

Anyways, as far as larger sets go, this one looks pretty nice. Even if you wanted to have a theme park, this would fit in nicely as an alternate play area.

I enjoy this and look forward to seeing more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brystheguy said:

The release is a dime-a-dozen tree house.

Personally, I disagree on this. If you liked the original submission, I think a lot of what made that one appealing is still present. The scale of it looks pretty good (I'll let someone else count how many studs-tall it is), the two buildings have some great charm, and there appear to still be a number of play features. The ability to change it to fall is a nice addition, but IMO if they were going to add extra parts to the build like the multi-colored leaves, I would have liked to see them add to the shaping of the actual "houses" so at least one isn't a square but has more of the pentagonal/hexagonal shape of the original submission. Still, I think there is a lot to like. 

I think there is room for fair complaint about this set. As far as the “spirit” of the original, this is completely different. The original was more appealing to an older crowd, imo, this new one is better for a younger.

I think it’s a nice set, and I like the large scale of it. But it looks like a Creator set, not an Ideas set.

I’m sure I’m not the only one to think this, but I’d like it better if I never saw the original submission.

• Like 1

The whole Idea is pretty cool:)  The darker brown from the submission is IMO a little more appealing. LEGO did fine with the rebuild though.  I Really like this set and would eventually love to get half dozen or so for a country zone MOC idea.   Now to wait years for a nice low price:(    Plenty of customers will have never seen original submission and will just LOVE this.  All in all nice job LEGO!

3 hours ago, Brystheguy said:

Agreed this is a downgrade. I for sure would have bought the submission but I might actually pass on the actual release. The submission was classy and took you to another place. The release is a dime-a-dozen tree house.

I think so too. The original is exceptional. Final release is an average set. I don't understand why they downgrade the originals so much. They ruined the Flintstone set too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BillyBricks said:

Personally, I disagree on this. If you liked the original submission, I think a lot of what made that one appealing is still present. The scale of it looks pretty good (I'll let someone else count how many studs-tall it is), the two buildings have some great charm, and there appear to still be a number of play features. The ability to change it to fall is a nice addition, but IMO if they were going to add extra parts to the build like the multi-colored leaves, I would have liked to see them add to the shaping of the actual "houses" so at least one isn't a square but has more of the pentagonal/hexagonal shape of the original submission. Still, I think there is a lot to like. 

I think there might be three buildings. I would like to see more, clearer images as they come out. My quick guess is that it is at least 11 minifigures tall.

Also, the pulley for the basket is a nice touch. I guess the Calvin and Hobbes fan in me appreciates that this is pretty much like his clubhouse x1000. G.R.O.S.S.

Edited by CosmicSpeed
  • Like 1

I understand why the club houses are hodge podge planks, but why does the tree look like that too?

The original submission shows a more realistic looking tree...and at the heart of it, I think that's my biggest criticism.I would have liked opportunity to create my own MOC structures on the original tree.

clearly different target audiences, so I get it; but there are plenty of "play set" tree houses for the <10 kids...the original fills the void better, imo.

Overall it's a nice set but I wouldn't be interested in actual purchase unless <$100

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CosmicSpeed said:

I think there might be three buildings. I would like to see more, clearer images as they come out. My quick guess is that it is at least 11 minifigures tall.

Also, the pulley for the basket is a nice touch. I guess the Calvin and Hobbes fan in me appreciates that this is pretty much like his clubhouse x1000. G.R.O.S.S.

3 houses agreed. To me it looks like the stairs lead up to a little tree house that is hidden by the trunk of the tree.