75936 - Jurassic Park: T. rex Rampage

Val-E

6 hours ago, locidm said:

Is this the first Newman MF? 

image.thumb.jpeg.288f3816ca2495aae4b49e4fb2218630.jpeg

Because the mail never stops. It just keeps coming and coming and coming. There’s never a letup, it’s relentless. Every day it piles up more and more, and you gotta get it out, but the more you get out, the more keeps coming in! And then the bar code reader breaks! And then it’s Publisher’s Clearinghouse Day!

image.thumb.gif.9de9909e3eceb3c286c53227cb4754cf.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At first I was frustrated because no Ford Explorer or Jeep was included.  However, I still have hope that perhaps one could get released in a different set in the future to connect or fit inside the track.  The track could have been included simply for aesthetic reasons but maybe it could be functional?  I can't remember from the movie if the vehicles actually connected to this track.  I was thinking it was a basically just a raised bar that the vehicle's tires straddled and that was it?  I'll have to watch it again to see various scenes and look at the undersides of the vehicles.

image.thumb.png.2d198e6f8ffe45d3870ef07b08c0a960.png

21 minutes ago, MusiKyle said:

At first I was frustrated because no Ford Explorer or Jeep was included.  However, I still have hope that perhaps one could get released in a different set in the future to connect or fit inside the track.  The track could have been included simply for aesthetic reasons but maybe it could be functional?  I can't remember from the movie if the vehicles actually connected to this track.  I was thinking it was a basically just a raised bar that the vehicle's tires straddled and that was it?  I'll have to watch it again to see various scenes and look at the undersides of the vehicles.

Was just a bar guide kind of like the Disney car ride.   

34 minutes ago, MusiKyle said:

Based on those tracks it would have to be a 12 or 14 wide vehicle - Creator Expert car scale basically.

2 hours ago, Phil B said:

Based on those tracks it would have to be a 12 or 14 wide vehicle - Creator Expert car scale basically.

so a $150 for a Ford Explorer w/ a lime green paint job

no thanks.  I am neither that big a fan of Ford or JP...LEGO is probably feeling out interest and pricing thru the T-rex set...so I'm thinking the matching jeep is never gonna happen

5 hours ago, brickvoyeur said:

image.thumb.jpeg.288f3816ca2495aae4b49e4fb2218630.jpeg

Because the mail never stops. It just keeps coming and coming and coming. There’s never a letup, it’s relentless. Every day it piles up more and more, and you gotta get it out, but the more you get out, the more keeps coming in! And then the bar code reader breaks! And then it’s Publisher’s Clearinghouse Day!

image.thumb.gif.9de9909e3eceb3c286c53227cb4754cf.gif

I take it that's a custom? Man I love that quote. Thanks.

I didn't realize the amount of criticism/controversy surrounding this set.  

Not to the level of GBHQ, but exact same principle. 

Ideas submission reaches 10k, Idea doesn't get selected.  TLG releases their own version down the road with no awknowledgement of original ideas. Claims they had their own product in pipeline. 

Hard to ignore all the free marketing, target demo and advertising the Ideas platform provided TLG for this set.  Even some form of communication from them would have helped. 

Either way, @$250 they failed for the correct market price. Maybe $199. Makes this an easy pass and I am a massive fan of the first film. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

Ideas submission reaches 10k, Idea doesn't get selected.  TLG releases their own version down the road with no awknowledgement of original ideas. Claims they had their own product in pipeline. 

Hard to ignore all the free marketing, target demo and advertising the Ideas platform provided TLG for this set.  Even some form of communication from them would have helped. 

Either way, @$250 they failed for the correct market price. Maybe $199. Makes this an easy pass and I am a massive fan of the first film. 

$199 plus 20% off or double VIP pts plus (exclusive dino figure) GWP

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

^ I agree, but for me, they would have been better off creating a faux-modular Visitor Center that could connect to the previous Velociraptor Kitchen/Lab set. The VC could have had its back-side open and feature the Dining Room, Main Lobby, Dino Skeleton and Banner along with an exclusive T-Rex and 2x Velociraptors. You could have added the Explorer and some outside landscaping and have a footprint no bigger than the Pirate Roller Coaster. Then you create a Not-so-monstorous JP Entry Gate as another add on.

They should have followed the HP style of releasing interchangeable sets that connect.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MusiKyle said:

Interesting article on BrickSet asking "Why the negativity?"

https://brickset.com/article/44244/why-the-negativity

image.thumb.png.a09e2ffad2f34f545121465a1a663bc3.png

mentioning this set without the price is like mentioning the Titanic without...the sinking part

altho..kinda cool that the eyes look more slit-like from below

• Like 2

I read the article and found the assumptions being made about negativity from the AFOL community puzzling. To be clear, what I've seen in discussion about the set and other D2C releases is criticism, not blanket negativity. Most of the critical commentary is be apt and to the point, identifying and focusing on long standing issues with D2C sets from price, design, scale, etc. This isn't belly aching. This isn't whining. This isn't negativity from the AFOL community--this is a community's persistent attempt to address issues with releases The LEGO group in turn repeatedly ignores.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

...IDK about you'all, but I don't complain...I make ...observations.

It's "y'all" not "you'all"... lol, sorry I had to find something to complain about in this thread.  

As a consumer I think we all look for what we like, which I believe is to your point - we make observations, even a wish list sometimes. 

Then there are the trolls who just dislike everything, which I think the article was more about.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 12:28 PM, BricksBrotha said:

Interesting to consider the differences in quality between Lego in house design and Ideas submissions. TLG obviously has piles of data showing which sets are successful and big sellers. This is why Milennium Falcons, police stations, and stuff like that get released every year. 

On the other hand, the Ideas models are created by fans who want to build and are not concerned by the financial part.

The comment about the design being in house already is absolute crap. What else could they have said? “We stole this design just like ghostbusters”? But we all know they did. I think the previous Ideas looks much better anyway. Scale makes more sense and it has the vehicle. 

The only problem with the Ideas approval is it gets run through the Lego designer phase where they change it to their standards(ie the sales/finance team looks at it and finds out how they can increase the margin. This is where the cheese slopes and $ get added. The best example I can think of lately is Flintstones, with the fan model being so much better than the released one. I’m hoping to same doesn’t happen to the Tree House, as I’m very excited for that. 

• Like 3

Saw this in Store first hand and not only the Dino but the Gate are SHOCKINGLY large.

This is a TON of Lego, beautifully crafted, with lots of clever nods to the first film, and for anyone saying they should have done the Welcome Center, you're nuts. That would cost Death Star money.

Big fan of this set, 250 feels appropriate once you see it in person. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, t_mafia said:

The comment about the design being in house already is absolute crap. What else could they have said? “We stole this design just like ghostbusters”? But we all know they did. I think the previous Ideas looks much better anyway. Scale makes more sense and it has the vehicle. 

TLG should have come out immediately once the idea is submitted or even once it reaches 10K fan votes and explain a similar idea is on the horizon.  Such a sleazy pr move to say they already had it in the pipeline after all is said and done.  If any idea's submission even closely resembles a project in R&D or NPD(NewProdcutDevelopement) then they need to not allow the submission to go any further.  Coming out and saying 'Sorry Not Sorry' after reaching 10K votes is such a slap in the face, but then actually seeing your idea make it to production without any recognition would be a serious kick to the groin. Shame on TLG, shame. Be smarter thant that. Consider they ARE a 9Billion dollar company.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

TLG should have come out immediately once the idea is submitted or even once it reaches 10K fan votes and explain a similar idea is on the horizon.  Such a sleazy pr move to say they already had it in the pipeline after all is said and done.  If any idea's submission even closely resembles a project in R&D or NPD(NewProdcutDevelopement) then they need to not allow the submission to go any further.  Coming out and saying 'Sorry Not Sorry' after reaching 10K votes is such a slap in the face, but then actually seeing your idea make it to production without any recognition would be a serious kick to the groin. Shame on TLG, shame. Be smarter thant that. Consider they ARE a 9Billion dollar company.

but wouldn't an early Kabash of a submission tip LEGO's hand on their R&D (which is a huge No No for most companies).

For instance: AFoL submits idea...told by LEGO it can't be accepted.  Just THAT bit of info (without any reasons), will be enough to start the rumor about an upcoming set.

Seems like LEGO pretty much "Hints" at set only when it's basically already post-production.

Sure, but large companies also issue NDA's all the time.  So where is the line drawn between product launch leaks or PR disasters.  In this case, even the set designer was out on the interwebs commenting on fan sites defending TLG decision.  They are indirectly pitting AFOL's against each other, valued customer. How is that good for business?

Unfortunately, it all comes with the price of doing business. Not everyone can be pleased and the ideas submission platform as it stands is basically handing your idea to the world(lbh, once on the web, forever on the web) praying for the best intentions.  That environment actually deters good ideas from coming forward.