75964 - Harry Potter Advent Calendar (2019)

exciter1

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2019 at 6:18 AM, Phil B said:

What I do see happening is that the HP advent calendar will be sold out by end October. I am definitely buying my copy at (close to) RRP in early September when these come on the shelf at major retailers. Hopefully WM or Target has them at 20% off - if not, I will use my BN membership to get at least 10% off my copy.

Currently about 18% off and it's Sept as Phil predicted.

My recollection last year was that the SW advents went on sale again in October for around this price and then RRP after Black Friday until Christmas (tho CIty & Friends went on sale periodically and stacks to be found in Costco most of Dec.)

I do think HP may be too popular to go on sale again in OCt.    

It's just City and Friends according to this site (with pics, and looks like they've been out for almost a week now) but if you use the 7 digit item number 2213554 in-store at guest services they can tell you which warehouses have which quantity (because it's an assortment there's no guarantee which version you will find):

https://hip2save.com/2019/09/13/lego-city-friends-advent-calendars-only-22-99-at-costco/

20 minutes ago, JimboJet said:

It's just City and Friends according to this site (with pics, and looks like they've been out for almost a week now) but if you use the 7 digit item number 2213554 in-store at guest services they can tell you which warehouses have which quantity (because it's an assortment there's no guarantee which version you will find):

https://hip2save.com/2019/09/13/lego-city-friends-advent-calendars-only-22-99-at-costco/

if this is the case, then I'm wondering what changed from last year?  From my local stores SW were all sold out with some City and Friends lingering well into Dec.  Since City and Friends came back...it's not coming from Costco's end...so LEGO seems to be taking a differnet distribtion strategy on SW and HP advent sets.  Hmm.  tea leaves

1 hour ago, ravenb99 said:

None of the advents are short run,  like not even remotely close,  the only strategy LEGO is taking is to produce a ton of them to ensure they sell a ton and the secondary market value is not great.

not expecting them to ever be "rare'...just OOS by mid-nov...the HP ones especially since this is the first year and may catch folks offguard.  And HP fans are fanatical and everywhere (I think including all four House Banners was genius by LEGO)...could hit x3 which is pretty darn good imo for a short hold.  The non-LEGO HP advents last year was selling for 2x by early Nov. 

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

My take on the Advent calendars is that TLG has no interest in producing an excess of these since they are only relevant for December 1-24 of the year in which they were produced, as opposed to a craptacular set that they can discount enough for it to eventually sell.  I agree with JvD that HP is still immensely popular (after all, TLG brought the theme back) and I think investing in the HP advents has positive risk.  I'm hoping that they overproduced SW Advents and underproduced HP.  The problem with Advent calendars, in general, the last couple of years, at least on eBay, is that there are one or more European stores that had 200+ sets at the lowest price and didn't sell out early enough (or at all) for NA sellers to make much of an ROI.  I am so on the fence about whether or not I want to invest in these this year.  On the one hand, I personally think it's the only one of the Advents that has a chance of being gold.  On the other hand, a low ROI the last few years to ensure I sold my inventory has hardly been worth the effort.

On 9/21/2019 at 1:49 PM, BillyBricks said:

And #1 in building toys/#2 in toys and games on Amazon. 

as popular as ALL HP merchandise is...it does "feel" pretty saturated on the shelves of main stream retailers..those light color bozes w/ gold decor are everywhere for almost everything HP under the sun.  I still think the LEGO HP advent will be OOS by Mid-Nov...but given the above I wouldn't bet the farm

I haven't invested in LEGO advent calendars before, but I made some good money on HP Funko advent calendars last year and bought some qty of all 3 Funko calendars this year. I'm thinking about getting some HP LEGO advent calendars too, but I'm hoping for some advice from those of you who are more familiar with them.

From what I can tell by looking at older LEGO advent calendars, there is not much real long term value, correct? You guys are all planning on selling through them after they're gone at retail leading up to Christmas? But, what about next year? Do they have any future value for next Christmas or really just this year in a 2 week span in November where they will hopefully run out at retail and before the end of the first week of December?

I'm just a little confused on what the plan is with these for those who are investing in them?

Thanks!

I started with some Star Wars 

5 minutes ago, skinsfan0521 said:

From what I can tell by looking at older LEGO advent calendars, there is not much real long term value, correct? You guys are all planning on selling through them after they're gone at retail leading up to Christmas? But, what about next year?

I did a few small batches of Lego Advents a couple years ago and I've seen that the continual refreshes (refresh word used liberally) make these a bit of a blur each year. A Star Wars, City, or Friends Advent from two years ago could be swapped with this years calendars and you might not even notice a significant difference.

Harry Potter on the other hand might be a wild card since this is the first year. If this is the first of many years to come of refreshes, I feel the value may only just be ok. If they don't release a new one next year or the following, this could definitely be a winner even if it looks like there is considerable inventory around at stores.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skinsfan0521 said:

I haven't invested in LEGO advent calendars before, but I made some good money on HP Funko advent calendars last year and bought some qty of all 3 Funko calendars this year. I'm thinking about getting some HP LEGO advent calendars too, but I'm hoping for some advice from those of you who are more familiar with them.

From what I can tell by looking at older LEGO advent calendars, there is not much real long term value, correct? You guys are all planning on selling through them after they're gone at retail leading up to Christmas? But, what about next year? Do they have any future value for next Christmas or really just this year in a 2 week span in November where they will hopefully run out at retail and before the end of the first week of December?

I'm just a little confused on what the plan is with these for those who are investing in them?

Thanks!

They make too many of recent years (probably going back 2-3 years) to expect any reasonable growth year to year...there is the off chance of a unique and sought after figure; but again very similar to the CMFs, there's just too many out there.  

I do think as the advent calendar thing becomes more and more mainstream...as a parent it is the absolute BEST way to wake up sleepy kids for school in Dec....the older, rarer sets may become collectible worthy.  For completionist..having every year can be very attractive (altho TLG could easily bring these out of the vault).

That said, I was super into them last year. Basically I could not find a price on SW below the intital sale price offerred in Oct, so don't wait expecting any further drops...until AFTER Christmas.

They make the BEST Thanksgiving gifts to households with kids...for folks that don't like coming empty-handed

• 1 month later...