Jump to content

Starting to get frustrated...lego quality/rant

Recommended Posts

I decided to start taking down some sets I have built and displayed.  I already had several pieces break just by separating the bricks.  I have been using the brick separator too.  This is very frustrating considering how much we pay for these fricking sets.  Now I have to put in an order for bricklink where the shipping and handling will cost 10x what bricks I need replaced.  I think I am going to end up just leaving some of the bigger sets intact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lego will happily replace the pieces for you. I’ve had a lot of issues with brown pieces breaking and they’ve replaced them no problem.


Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

Lego will happily replace the pieces for you. I’ve had a lot of issues with brown pieces breaking and they’ve replaced them no problem.


Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum

Yeah, guess I should see if they even have them in stock.  I had a lot of issues with dark red tiles.  Several of those just snapped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, stackables said:

I decided to start taking down some sets I have built and displayed.  I already had several pieces break just by separating the bricks.  I have been using the brick separator too.  This is very frustrating considering how much we pay for these fricking sets.  Now I have to put in an order for bricklink where the shipping and handling will cost 10x what bricks I need replaced.  I think I am going to end up just leaving some of the bigger sets intact.

Any long time builders have a rule of thumb on how long to display a built set before bricks get compromised?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve literally never had a piece break, ever. But I will likely be taking down a technic helicopter soon, so it might happen? That completely stinks though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, stackables said:

Yeah, guess I should see if they even have them in stock.  I had a lot of issues with dark red tiles.  Several of those just snapped.

When I took apart my Fire Brigade last year to make room for newest modular I had several dark red plates break.  Very brittle color.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently re-built a lot of the Minecraft wave 1 sets i had in storage to sell them. Boy did i encounter a lot of issues... I had a couple of those pointy bush/shrub pieces had stems break off, i had some pieces that had almost entirely lost their clutch power, and some had abnormally strong clutch power the the point i thought they had somehow fused together. And then i had some plate pieces that were extremely difficult to attach bricks to, misaligned studs maybe?

I've never ever seen this before, especially this abundant. Could be i bought all these wave 1 sets at the same time when they had a bad batch or something. Anyways got all the problem pieces replaced for free by Lego without issue.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Huskers1236 said:

When I took apart my Fire Brigade last year to make room for newest modular I had several dark red plates break.  Very brittle color.  

Yeah, the corners for my tile pieces basically just snapped off upon removal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, stackables said:

I decided to start taking down some sets I have built and displayed.  I already had several pieces break just by separating the bricks.  I have been using the brick separator too.  This is very frustrating considering how much we pay for these fricking sets.  Now I have to put in an order for bricklink where the shipping and handling will cost 10x what bricks I need replaced.  I think I am going to end up just leaving some of the bigger sets intact.

 

4 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Any long time builders have a rule of thumb on how long to display a built set before bricks get compromised?

I also wonder if we can pinpoint a year that this started. (for instance does it happen to post 05' or 13' or even to some 80's and 90's sets) If something changed ,what was it?   Just those few colors, when were they introduced?  I myself haven't broken pieces yet but I will have some long standing buildings like y'all that I'm a little worried about now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m thinking it’s something to do with the molecular structure of the plastic with whatever they use to color the dark red or brown. I’ve never seen any other colors snap the way dark red does. Something is unique about them and I’m guessing it’s at the chemical structure level. I’ve had newer and older dark red snap on me, but colors like black or old dark grey....bricks at least 20 years old, have never broken once.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

I bought a used Venator Destroyer a while back and built it then took it apart to sell it and snapped several of the dark red tiles in the process... that color just seems extra brittle.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Brickpicker Forum mobile app
 

Guess what set I had issues with :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...