Looking to sell a group/collection.

Hi BPs,

I have a collection of MISB legos that I've collected over the period of around 10 years.  Everything is in great shape, sans maybe a few boxes that have dents or dings.  I was very selective and usually had a dented box shipped back to LSAH and returned for a good one.

Ideally, I'd like to have msrp (I already paid 6% sales tax, which I would'nt be charging for.  I realize thats not easy, because someone with a large wallet will need to put up $, and thats why I'm willing to let it go for msrp, currently.    I realize there are some good sets and some sets that may take a bit longer to sell, but overall, I think there is decent money to be made.  I'd be willing to split fuel costs, with an msrp deal as well.  I'm not going to sell individually, as I don't have the time to do so.  I'm outside of Des Moines, Iowa. 

Thanks for the look.

legos FS.csv

Edited by conceptmachine

There are a lot of cool sets, but I don't think a person could make much of a profit asking for retail for the lot.  If you want 17.1k for sets that are valued at about 24.6k. I'd take 10% percent off for what you may realistically get for the sets.  If you sell the stuff on ebay you are looking at 13% fees.  You would make about $1300 profit.  Maybe take off another $300 for shipping supplies. That would put you at selling over 300 sets for $1000 in profit.  $3.33 per set.  That is not a good margin and would take most people over a year to clear out that inventory. 

Maybe some of the guys that can sell on Amazon would have better luck where they could just ship it off in bulk and not have to deal with it.  

Are my numbers totally off?

2 hours ago, gobuffs98 said:

There are a lot of cool sets, but I don't think a person could make much of a profit asking for retail for the lot.  If you want 17.1k for sets that are valued at about 24.6k. I'd take 10% percent off for what you may realistically get for the sets.  If you sell the stuff on ebay you are looking at 13% fees.  You would make about $1300 profit.  Maybe take off another $300 for shipping supplies. That would put you at selling over 300 sets for $1000 in profit.  $3.33 per set.  That is not a good margin and would take most people over a year to clear out that inventory. 

Maybe some of the guys that can sell on Amazon would have better luck where they could just ship it off in bulk and not have to deal with it.  

Or work out a consignment deal with one of the bigger Amazon sellers on here, who would take a percentage margin for each sale after it is processed and shipped. 

I glanced over the list and it didn't take long to decide to pass. It's a great collection, but, for Amazon, it's all pretty old and will be slow to sell. At MSRP, there's not a lot of meat on the bone.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

• Like 4

Selling season is approaching quickly. If not in a hurry, why not try and get the most of these sets during the shopping craze of the holidays?  

youd be suprised how much FB Market place is turning into a gate free Amazon.  Grandmas, Moms, last minute shoppers not wanting to deal with lines in a store. I will probably try and get going earlier this year (beg. Nov)  and turn over more product. 

Edited by BricksBrotha
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BricksBrotha said:

Selling season is approaching quickly. If not in a hurry, why not try and get the most of these sets during the shopping craze of the holidays?  

youd be suprised how much FB Market place is turning into a gate free Amazon.  Grandmas, Moms, last minute shoppers not wanting to deal with lines in a store. I will probably try and get going earlier this year (beg. Nov)  and turn over more product. 

Thanks for the tip.  Yeah, I probably could make some money.  It's an option. I'd probably do 20K for everything tho, someone comes to pick it up.  That would be my bottom $.  That's fairly close to 18K from current retail.  If that's not enough for the high rollers margin, the world is a pretty tough place.

Sell at will locally for msrp makes more sense, but I don't have a lot of time.

The commission thing would be ok too,  but how can I be sure they wouldn't scam me somehow?  It's why I'd rather have it sold all together.

Edited by conceptmachine

15 hours ago, Foreman Porgy said:

Or work out a consignment deal with one of the bigger Amazon sellers on here, who would take a percentage margin for each sale after it is processed and shipped. 

Curious as to who does this - send me a private message if you are willing to work out something. Wouldn't be to clear out inventory, but moreso as an ongoing approach.

Thanks for the tip.  Yeah, I probably could make some money.  It's an option. I'd probably do 20K for everything tho, someone comes to pick it up.  That would be my bottom $.  That's fairly close to 18K from current retail.  If that's not enough for the high rollers margin, the world is a pretty tough place.
The commission thing would be ok too,  but how can I be sure they wouldn't scam me somehow?  It's why I'd rather have it sold all together.

Remember that doesn’t factor in risk of return, cost to pickup, and time spent dealing with this mish-mash of so many skus. It’s really not worth it with so much money spent on losers or break-even tumblers, DSs, and Chima. There really isn’t nearly enough potential profit at your asking price.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the excellent professional service today Marc, I appreciate it.

Definitely enjoyed the experience.

Glad you were able to get a few extras I had.

Take care!  

Thanks to all who expressed interest and gave their insight.

I have lots of sets and interest in lego, so I'm still gonna be hanging around.  Just changing my collectable habit.

You have a written agreement and books are reconciled with receipts.

Also you find someone that has a reputable job, look them up on state court records, etc...
  • Like 1