Investing in Marvel and DC sets?

LegoPodcaster

Any thoughts on how these sets will do? I know there is going to be an Iron Man 3 movie and Captain America 2 so I should think that would help them stay popular. The DC sets should stay popular at least until a little bit after the release of the new Batman movie. I think Lego will definitely make a second wave of the Marvel and DC sets. Edit: To narrow this down a bit more do you think the Marvel or DC line will do better?

Any thoughts on how these sets will do? I know there is going to be an Iron Man 3 movie and Captain America 2 so I should think that would help them stay popular.

The DC sets should stay popular at least until a little bit after the release of the new Batman movie.

I think Lego will definitely make a second wave of the Marvel and DC sets.

I'm a big fan. I haven't gotten around to buying any yet, but I will. Waiting for a sale at TRU or Target...but they will be solid choices for investment IMO.

Great sets to invest in. With the success of the movies, I see these having solid potential. DC and Marvel are both appreciated by young kids and adult (comic fans). I picked up the batcave last week. I think that is a great set to invest in because of Bane being the main villain in the next movie.

I picked up the quinjet on sale at amazon a couple of weeks ago. I'm surprised at how much is in the set for the price. Unfortunately, it looks like Marvel is going to pull ahead here. I prefer DC to Marvel, but now that Disney owns Marvel, I think they're pushing for some quality movies. I remember reading that there wasn't any other reason for Disney to have bought Marvel outside of the IP in the characters. Course that post was saying that it was going to be hard for Disney to make something out of it since Spiderman is already owned by Sony and most of the other BIG names are already licensed out. But here we are with Thor, Hawkeye and Black Widow making excellent appearances... The Avengers movie was fabulous... And since Disney can probably only get anything out of making good movies of the Marvel characters, I think they won't let flop movies come out anymore (like Hulk). That being said, movies will probably drive legos... And as much as I'd prefer to see better DC movies, I'd bet on Marvel at this point.

I picked up the quinjet on sale at amazon a couple of weeks ago. I'm surprised at how much is in the set for the price. Unfortunately, it looks like Marvel is going to pull ahead here. I prefer DC to Marvel, but now that Disney owns Marvel, I think they're pushing for some quality movies.

I remember reading that there wasn't any other reason for Disney to have bought Marvel outside of the IP in the characters. Course that post was saying that it was going to be hard for Disney to make something out of it since Spiderman is already owned by Sony and most of the other BIG names are already licensed out. But here we are with Thor, Hawkeye and Black Widow making excellent appearances...

The Avengers movie was fabulous... And since Disney can probably only get anything out of making good movies of the Marvel characters, I think they won't let flop movies come out anymore (like Hulk).

That being said, movies will probably drive legos... And as much as I'd prefer to see better DC movies, I'd bet on Marvel at this point.

The Avengers was a great movie and I agree with you about movies driving Lego set popularity. Prince of Persia anyone?

• 2 months later...

I think that the movies and the minifigs will drive these sets. Make sure you stock up on your Hulks and your Black Widows. I'm on the fence about the Spiderman sets. I think the Batman stuff will do well eventually. Right now with the end of the Nolan trilogy, there aren't any more movies on the horizon. It might be a good time to unload your Tumblers too, since there's going to be a new one next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Come to think of it, these sets will be collectible on so many levels.

1st. People who collect Lego

2nd. People who collect film toys and/or memorabilia

3rd. People who collect comic books and related toys or items

Dude, I would say these sets are made of pure win!

Edit:

After a quick look around BrickLink and eBay, I'm seeing people selling just the minifigure, not the set.

Good grief, for the amount some of these people are listing a Wolverine minifig at you can just buy the whole set! And then some!

Come to think of it, these sets will be collectible on so many levels.

1st. People who collect Lego

2nd. People who collect film toys and/or memorabilia

3rd. People who collect comic books and related toys or items

Dude, I would say these sets are made of pure win!

Edit:

After a quick look around BrickLink and eBay, I'm seeing people selling just the minifigure, not the set.

Good grief, for the amount some of these people are listing a Wolverine minifig at you can just buy the whole set! And then some!

Good points.

I agree that the Marvel movies are doing very well, and there are a ton more being produced for all the characters. I am especially looking forward to the "Days of Future Past" X-Men movie(s). Think of the LEGO possibilities for X-Men fans. :-) DC on the other hand can see the same thing, and they are producing a number of movies including Teen Titans and The Justice League. It is a good time if you like super heroes, movies, and LEGOs.

Great sets to invest in. With the success of the movies, I see these having solid potential. DC and Marvel are both appreciated by young kids and adult (comic fans). I picked up the batcave last week. I think that is a great set to invest in because of Bane being the main villain in the next movie.

The Batcave does look pretty cool. I like that all the minifigs in that set are each from a different era/movie.

The Batcave does look pretty cool. I like that all the minifigs in that set are each from a different era/movie.

I agree the Batcave is a great set, I love how you can drop Bruce Wayne into the elevator and he transforms to Batman, really adds to the playabilty factor for the set.

I also think 6857 will be a great set to invest in, 5 awesome minifigs and lots of playabilty for only $40. Also for what its worth "The Brickshow" gave it ratings of 10's across the board, the only other time I've seen them do that is for the new Haunted House.

http://www.brickshow.com/episode-345-review-of-lego-superheroes-the-dynamic-duo-funhouse-escape