Reason to go to a LEGO store?

skinsfan0521

There are a few LEGO stores within a few hour radius of me (one just opened yesterday) and I've never visited any of them. Is there any reason to visit one of these for special deals or promotions or anything?

Basically, am I missing out on anything other than "the experience" by not going to these stores? Or am I better off just continuing to order everything online?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

I have a Lego store less than a mile from me.  They are really cool and have a lot of sets built and displayed.  A small discount table/bin but not anything to get over excited about.   The main reason I go in is to see sets in person that are not on regular retail shelves just to get an idea about box size, etc. if they are on my list of investment.  

If you are going for the experience and any discounts or finds is icing on the cake then you should go. If you are going thinking about discounts or exclusives as the main purpose  then you may be disappointed. 

Ocassionally they will clearance out sets that are relatively hard to find. I bought Minecraft Village and Arch Studio after retirement for way less than rrp. A lot of folks stocked up on the F40 while discounted. Also they sometimes have decent Black Friday deals that you have to pick up in store. Also you can call the store, be very nice and ask what is on sale at the store. I've found random city and friends sets at 50% off too. Also ask what the upcoming builds are. I've taken the kids for the free monthly mini-builds before and I heard a rumour they're doing some adult free builds too.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

If you get to know the mgr, you get to find out really good info - which sets are selling and which are not, if anything cool is coming out, etc.  Although they can't give you details, it is a good way to confirm possible rumors.

An example; the in-store adult harley motorcycle mini build event.  You had to register for the event in person but I was traveling at the time.  So I called the store and spoke with the mgr, who I have gotten to know over the years.  He graciously signed me up because there was no way I could get to the store to register in person for about a week.  Of course, if I didn't show up, that would probably be the last time he did that for me.  

There are a few LEGO stores within a few hour radius of me (one just opened yesterday) and I've never visited any of them. Is there any reason to visit one of these for special deals or promotions or anything?

Basically, am I missing out on anything other than "the experience" by not going to these stores? Or am I better off just continuing to order everything online?

For me...not really. I have one 30 mins away and make it there maybe once a year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

On 9/28/2019 at 8:44 AM, skinsfan0521 said:

best reason to go to LEGO STORE:  make some new FRIENDS.

msrp:  $59.99  lowest in stock fba:  $399.99 .

LEGO Ideas 21319 Friends The Television Series Central Perk

20 minutes ago, cladner said:

best reason to go to LEGO STORE:  make some new FRIENDS.

msrp:  $59.99  lowest in stock fba:  $399.99 .

LEGO Ideas 21319 Friends The Television Series Central Perk

Sold listings for $150 on ebay and free shipping, so not that great, but also nothing to turn your nose up at if you can find them.

Edited by CosmicSpeed

Thanks everyone for the replies, I really appreciate it. I apologize for not responding until now, but I never subscribed to the thread somehow and just realized that I should see if anyone responded.

Another question along the same lines... There is a store grand opening this coming weekend a little less than 2hrs from me. Exclusive minifig #/500 for purchases over $50 and for over $100, another store GWP (I'm guessing 40145). I'm thinking of making a day trip out of it and going with my wife and get 2 minifigs and check the place out. Since it's a grand opening, I'm guessing that they won't have any retired or clearance or anything like that, but I don't mind stopping by to see if I can happen across any of the Central Perks sets or anything else interesting. It will most likely be a one-and-done thing, but we'll see.

Edit... sorry, forgot the actual question. What else should I be looking for that would be exclusive, but better than just buying online? Central Perk, Lady Liberty, and ??

Edited by skinsfan0521

Thanks everyone for the replies, I really appreciate it. I apologize for not responding until now, but I never subscribed to the thread somehow and just realized that I should see if anyone responded.
Another question along the same lines... There is a store grand opening this coming weekend a little less than 2hrs from me. Exclusive minifig #/500 for purchases over $50 and for over $100, another store GWP (I'm guessing 40145). I'm thinking of making a day trip out of it and going with my wife and get 2 minifigs and check the place out. Since it's a grand opening, I'm guessing that they won't have any retired or clearance or anything like that, but I don't mind stopping by to see if I can happen across any of the Central Perks sets or anything else interesting. It will most likely be a one-and-done thing, but we'll see.
Edit... sorry, forgot the actual question. What else should I be looking for that would be exclusive, but better than just buying online? Central Perk, Lady Liberty, and ??
Just left the grand opening. Got the free promos. There were no central perks, there were lady liberty, there were the small London double decker busses. I got a saturn 5 to qualify for both the promos and that's it

• Like 1