New guy asking for help

I am sorry to bother all you brickpickers but I am looking for help and I hope this is allowed.

My wife and I recently moved and when we left the old place we found a large number of Lego sets our 2 boys played with a while ago.

They don't want them anymore so I need to get rid of them.

The boys were born in early 80's so they are from late 80's to mid 90's.

I went thru the evaluation tool here for some of them and know they are worth something but don't know how to proceed at this junction.  I have a list of the names and numbers.

Most all of them are complete, one son was very neat and put all the parts in ziplock bags, then back into the box they came in.

I am in St Augustine FL area.

Any help would be appreciated.

You can message me here or use my email [email protected]

Again, if this is not allowed I understand but if the moserators delete this can you please advise where I should go next.  

Thanks everyone.

Hi Jax, if selling them is what you want to do, at this point I would go onto Ebay and put the LEGO numbers in the search box to get a real valuation of what I had. They are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them...At that point, you can try to sell them on ebay, craigslist, garage sales, etc. Or if you are just wanting to offload them quickly, donation centers like Goodwill is always an option for the tax write off. 

Hope that helps a little. Brad

1 minute ago, Brad W said:

Hi Jax, if selling them is what you want to do, at this point I would go onto Ebay and put the LEGO numbers in the search box to get a real valuation of what I had. They are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them...At that point, you can try to sell them on ebay, craigslist, garage sales, etc. Or if you are just wanting to offload them quickly, donation centers like Goodwill is always an option for the tax write off. 

Hope that helps a little. Brad

DO NOT DONATE FOR TAX WRITE OFF.

That is going to come off the wrong way but please understand with the latest tax law that was put in (Dec 2017) it is much more difficult to actually claim donations due to the high Standard Deduction.  So, if you are still using Schedule A then by all means donate and claim, BUT for the majority of Americans, Schedule A became obsolete and donations don't help you at all. 

So just a PSA (public service announcement) on that to double check your tax filing and deductions already used before assuming you can claim your donations, if you take that path.  

I think that because of the time period these are from, there is a very good chance someone here would be interested in these sets, myself included.  Many of us that grew up in this same time period with Lego definitely have a soft spot for them be it Classic Space, Castle, Pirates, etc.  If you have a list of what you have, you will get much more attention to this lot.  If these were well cared for and are stored in some semblance of order, even better.  Best of luck.

2 hours ago, Jaxbb3 said:

I am sorry to bother all you brickpickers but I am looking for help and I hope this is allowed.

My wife and I recently moved and when we left the old place we found a large number of Lego sets our 2 boys played with a while ago.

They don't want them anymore so I need to get rid of them.

The boys were born in early 80's so they are from late 80's to mid 90's.

I went thru the evaluation tool here for some of them and know they are worth something but don't know how to proceed at this junction.  I have a list of the names and numbers.

Most all of them are complete, one son was very neat and put all the parts in ziplock bags, then back into the box they came in.

I am in St Augustine FL area.

Any help would be appreciated.

You can message me here or use my email jaxbb3@yahoo.com

Again, if this is not allowed I understand but if the moserators delete this can you please advise where I should go next.  

Thanks everyone.

easiest way to sell is to take a picture of all the boxes/booklets; make sure set # is clear and post here (or list the set # as some folks here have them all memorized ?)...you won't get a great price but you probably won't get jerked around either. Best price would be the Ebay route but obvious hassles. CL or other local sales tend to be a mixed bag. 

Like others have said, check your list of set #'s against Ebay for a good valuation. Just remember when you are looking on Ebay to look at the sold items to see what they are actually selling for and not at just the listed sets. Just because someone lists a used set for $200 doesn't mean that it will actually ever sell at that price.

Once you have a good idea of the value you then have a couple options. You could list each set individually on Ebay or Craigslist, OfferUp, Facebook, etc, this would be the most work intensive but would probably provide the greatest return. Or you could offer them up as one sale, either on here or some other sight. I am sure that there are some Brickpickers on here from FL that would be interested. Just know that everyone here is a reseller for the most part, so they would need to get them at a price point that makes it worth their time and effort to sort, clean and sell (generally at least 50% off of the value for used sets).