The Mandalorian - Disney+ *Could Contain Spoilers*

Jeff Mack

12 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

Not sure I would say his back story has been told. 

In episode four he made the comment that he was "taken in," or something to that order, by the Mandalorians after his parents were killed.  Seems to imply he's not really a Mandalorian.  Furthermore, nearly every episode someone asks him, "You're a Mandalorian, are you not?"  The name of the show is "The Mandalorian" except, it would appear he's not really a Mandalorian.

But in the third episode the armorer makes a comment about those who walk the path of the Mandalore. It seems to imply that being a Mandalorian is as much a way of living/code of conduct as it is about your birth. I think the EU talked about being a Mandalorian as a philosophy that wasn't restricted to just those from Mandalore.

No offense intended! I'm  ust afraid that BY might have ended up like a Porg if Disney merchandising had gotten their hands on him sooner.
Too bad for Disney, but I won't lose sleep over them losing a couple million in merch.

Ha! I’m just messing with you. I’d be something to see a porg vs baby Yoda fight among fanboys.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr_Coat said:

But in the third episode the armorer makes a comment about those who walk the path of the Mandalore. It seems to imply that being a Mandalorian is as much a way of living/code of conduct as it is about your birth. I think the EU talked about being a Mandalorian as a philosophy that wasn't restricted to just those from Mandalore.

Oh, I agree with everything you said.  I was just saying I suspect there is going to be something more about his birth heritage or something of an identity crisis.  Think about how many times someone has asked him, "You're a Mandalorian, aren't you?"  I think that was why his off-handed comment to the mom in ep4 about being taken in by them stood out to me.  The whole theme seem to be about him establishing himself as a Mandalorian.  He doesn't have a "crest" yet either.  Wasn't that ep3 when the armorer asked him that question?  Seems to line up.

2 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

Ha! I’m just messing with you. I’d be something to see a porg vs baby Yoda fight among fanboys.

Based upon what we've seen of Baby Yoda, I think he'd just eat the Porg.

Edited by exracer327
  • Like 2

This episode reminded me of the old Hulk show with Bill Bixby. He gets to a new town, meets a nice girl. Thinks he has found a safe place. Then stuff happens with the green guy and he is forced to move on. Hopefully every episode will not follow this pattern. 

It’s the classic western formula. So many throw backs to westerns. Very cool.
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

Oh, I agree with everything you said.  I was just saying I suspect there is going to be something more about his birth heritage or something of an identity crisis.  Think about how many times someone has asked him, "You're a Mandalorian, aren't you?"  I think that was why his off-handed comment to the mom in ep4 about being taken in by them stood out to me.  The whole theme seem to be about him establishing himself as a Mandalorian.  He doesn't have a "crest" yet either.  Wasn't that ep3 when the armorer asked him that question?  Seems to line up.

Glad we are on the same page. :) Interestingly, I came away with a very different interpretation based on what we've seen so far.

From the flashbacks with the Separatist droids, we can assume that he was a child during the Clone Wars. The fact that he says he's been wearing his helmet since he was a child means that not only has he been raised as Mandalorian since he was found, but that bringing up orphans as Mandalorians predates the "Great Purge" and isn't in response to it. The big Mandalorian in episode 3 calls him a coward for working with the Empire. Note that he doesn't call him out as not being a Mandalorian.

In the first episode, when his pauldron is made, the armorer says that the extra beskar would sponsor many foundlings to which he says he was once a foundling and she responds that she knows. I took that to be more of him agreeing with the extra going to "charity", sort of saying, I was there too, so of course I should pay if forward...kinda like tithing.

As for the crest/signet, it appears to be related to a rite of passage, hence why it has to be revealed, and why the armorer was going to use the mudhorn for him to reflect his victory.

As for everyone asking if he's a Mandalorian, I think it's similar to how it was in Rebels with the Jedi.  The Mandalorians were legendary warriors. Since the purge, it's very rare to see them, so when you see a badass in fancy armor, your first question might be are you a Mandalorian.

Just my take on it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mr_Coat said:

Glad we are on the same page. :) Interestingly, I came away with a very different interpretation based on what we've seen so far.

From the flashbacks with the Separatist droids, we can assume that he was a child during the Clone Wars. The fact that he says he's been wearing his helmet since he was a child means that not only has he been raised as Mandalorian since he was found, but that bringing up orphans as Mandalorians predates the "Great Purge" and isn't in response to it. The big Mandalorian in episode 3 calls him a coward for working with the Empire. Note that he doesn't call him out as not being a Mandalorian.

In the first episode, when his pauldron is made, the armorer says that the extra beskar would sponsor many foundlings to which he says he was once a foundling and she responds that she knows. I took that to be more of him agreeing with the extra going to "charity", sort of saying, I was there too, so of course I should pay if forward...kinda like tithing.

As for the crest/signet, it appears to be related to a rite of passage, hence why it has to be revealed, and why the armorer was going to use the mudhorn for him to reflect his victory.

As for everyone asking if he's a Mandalorian, I think it's similar to how it was in Rebels with the Jedi.  The Mandalorians were legendary warriors. Since the purge, it's very rare to see them, so when you see a badass in fancy armor, your first question might be are you a Mandalorian.

Just my take on it.

I actually don't see where my points would differ from anything of what you've said.  Once you're a Mandalorian, you're a Mandalorian... unless you take off your helmet to a non-Mandalorian.  That could allow different species because they're all wearing helmets.

Everything points to him being taken in by the Mandalorians.  He was around 8ish during the clone wars and I read somewhere The Mandalorian is set in 10 ABY, so that would make the guy early to mid-40s in age.  That is a lot of his history we don't know and a lot for Disney to expand upon.  If they do something with his identity, I doubt it'll be during this season.  Maybe season two or three.  But he'll always feel the need / pressure to establish himself.  Maybe him gaining a crest will be the conclusion to ep 8 this season?

On a side note.  Did anyone else notice that Disney is moving up the release of The Mandalorian ep 7 to the Wednesday before Rise of Skywalker so they can do an ep 8 Mandalorian teaser during the Rise of Skywalker premier?

My apologies. I read your initial comment about "his birth heritage or something of an identity crisis." as you thinking he wasn''t a real Mandalorian or was still trying to prove himself as one.

More Mandalorian and sooner?  Sounds good to me!

Edited by Mr_Coat
  • Like 1

I haven't watched all of Rebels or Clone Wars, so maybe this is addressed there.

In episode 4, it's mentioned that Mandalorians can't take off their helmet.  And the native woman tried to remove it, and the Mandalorian did remove his helmet to eat while watching Baby Yoda play with the other kids.  But, in the Clone Wars, they showed Mandalorians without helmets (IIRC?).  Sabine, in Rebels, took her helmet off all the time.  Is there something I'm missing, or is that a new tradition since OT time period.

1 minute ago, Goofball814 said:

I haven't watched all of Rebels or Clone Wars, so maybe this is addressed there.

In episode 4, it's mentioned that Mandalorians can't take off their helmet.  And the native woman tried to remove it, and the Mandalorian did remove his helmet to eat while watching Baby Yoda play with the other kids.  But, in the Clone Wars, they showed Mandalorians without helmets (IIRC?).  Sabine, in Rebels, took her helmet off all the time.  Is there something I'm missing, or is that a new tradition since OT time period.

he said he cant remove it in front of other people. She asked him when was the last time he took it off and he said yesterday 

4 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

he said he cant remove it in front of other people. She asked him when was the last time he took it off and he said yesterday 

But why can't he remove it in front of people?  Sabine did?  Multiple Mandalorians did during various episodes of Clone Wars. I just don't know my "lore".

6 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

ah, no idea... @exciter1?

It's more just something for this show. I think there are many Mandalorians that are no longer from the original Mandalore bloodline (foundlings).  They are found and raised as Mandalorians,.  They are trying to raise their ranks again and it maintains their anonymity and makes people think that there might still be blood pure Mandalorians out there, although it's more just a lifestyle now.

• Like 4

It's more just something for this show. I think there are many Mandalorians that are no longer from the original Mandalore bloodline (foundlings).  They are found and raised as Mandalorians,.  They are trying to raise their ranks again and it maintains their anonymity and makes people think that there might still be blood pure Mandalorians out there, although it's more just a lifestyle now.

Yeah, maybe. In theory the Mandalorians from Rebels were also in the same boat. The original Mandos were started by a species called the Taung (sp) but opened the ranks to other species, which fits with Rebels, so there’s either some continuity issues in regard to the religion and helmet stuff or these aren’t true Mandos.

I’m guessing Disney wants to keep SW lore coherent so it’s a bit weird to see them depart from what we know about them in Rebels to this mysterious cult like order with rules like you can’t let anyone see your face.

Filoni wrote and directed this one.  There were lots of good easter eggs in this one.  Ming-Na Wen was awesome, of course.

In great homage to the classic westerns, you have our cowboy talking to the locals, to secure passage across their lands.  In 60 seconds time, Filoni gave us some true depth to the Tuskin Raiders that we've never had before.  A language, a means to communicate, desires, and motivation.  That is, IMHO, a great way to build lore without being heavy-handed about it.

• Like 3

And this, ladies and gents is the way to do callbacks.  A brand new story set in familiar area + familiar natives.

I was going to say the SW movie people need to learn from how Mandalorian is done, but I guess it is not Abram's problem anymore.  I fear for DC, it is going to be wrecked just like Star Trek and Star Wars once he is done with it :devil:

• Like 1

And this, ladies and gents is the way to do callbacks.  A brand new story set in familiar area + familiar natives.
I was going to say the SW movie people need to learn from how Mandalorian is done, but I guess it is not Abram's problem anymore.  I fear for DC, it is going to be wrecked just like Star Trek and Star Wars once he is done with it :devil:

It’s a solid balance in new story telling and fan service. I particularly liked the detail of the droid bartenders in the cantina harkening back to ANH’s “we don’t serve your kind here.” Guess the original dude didn’t quite survive his arm being sliced off by a light saber.

2 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

It’s a solid balance in new story telling and fan service. I particularly liked the detail of the droid bartenders in the cantina harkening back to ANH’s “we don’t serve your kind here.” Guess the original dude didn’t quite survive his arm being sliced off by a light saber.

Hmm, I actually took that as once the New Republic took control, they outlawed any form of droid discrimination. So the Cantina is now forced to employ droids :D

• Like 1

Hmm, I actually took that as once the New Republic took control, they outlawed any form of droid discrimination. So the Cantina is now forced to employ droids

Ha! Could be. I think and hope the whole droids are slaves thing that was touched on in Solo is probably going to get developed more at some point. Kind of narratively ripe with West World, Ex Machina, etc.

I honestly didn't care for episode 4, didn't care about any of the characters.  I'll say a friend downloaded it for me, I have no internet and don't watch "television type shows" anymore, haven't for 3 years.  Maybe that is my problem.  I would love to actually hear the star wars music somewhere.  I will say that this is a western, hands down.

1 hour ago, waddamon said:

I honestly didn't care for episode 4, didn't care about any of the characters.  I'll say a friend downloaded it for me, I have no internet and don't watch "television type shows" anymore, haven't for 3 years.  Maybe that is my problem.  I would love to actually hear the star wars music somewhere.  I will say that this is a western, hands down.

Yeh , I like the show a lot but episode 4 was like some corny McGyver ripoff.