LEGO Masters TV series

11 minutes ago, BuckeyeFanDan said:

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-masters-commercial-airs-on-fox/

I just saw this commercial yesterday and definitely what to check out this series.  Does anyone have additional info about it?

There's a few partial episodes on YouTube of the Austrailian version if you want to get an idea about it.  Worth checking out.  I'm excited and will def be watching the US Series.

The show runners have alienated and pissed off most of the serious AFOLs in the SoCal area.  They were super aggressive at casting recruiting, then made unreasonable requests on time and IP, and disrespected the most talented builders.   The casting went for personality over skill, which i'm sure makes for entertaining TV, but don't expect this to be an all-star AFOL show.

2 minutes ago, DadsAFOL said:

The show runners have alienated and pissed off most of the serious AFOLs in the SoCal area.  They were super aggressive at casting recruiting, then made unreasonable requests on time and IP, and disrespected the most talented builders.   The casting went for personality over skill, which i'm sure makes for entertaining TV, but don't expect this to be an all-star AFOL show.

Unfortunately this is insight into how a lot of the world of competition shows work.  It's sad. 

1 hour ago, spener90 said:

Yep, I know with my personality I will never be selected for the price is right. I would know ALL of the prices though.

Being one's self is much more honorable than selling out.  There are plenty in the world that could care less about honor, dignity, etc. though.  Now there ARE some people that know all the prices AND are TV-worthy.  That's a win- win for them!

• 1 month later...

Getting worried this show will be following the same tired format of reality competition shows...just with Lego. If this is going to be like every other singing, talent, cooking, dancing, ect... competition show, then I might just end up watching YouTube highlights. Shame because it could be fun to watch if they can come up with something worth watching.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MrToes16 said:

Getting worried this show will be following the same tired format of reality competition shows...just with Lego. If this is going to be like every other singing, talent, cooking, dancing, ect... competition show, then I might just end up watching YouTube highlights. Shame because it could be fun to watch if they can come up with something worth watching.

What aspect or aspects of current reality competition shows make up the tired format you dislike?  Or asked a different way, what aspect of Lego Masters would you want different such that it would buck the trend from other currently (or recently) aired competition shows.  I guess this question is posed to the wider audience on here as well.

Part of me feels like there are just way too many competition shows to begin with and that regardless of format this is just one more to add to the list.  Personally, I get annoyed by (but realize I need to accept) the heavy editing.  You know, where they show a judge's reaction (that actually got recorded in the first hour of recording the show) and they append it to video of something a contestant did or said way later in the show as though they happened back-to-back.  It's completely out of order from reality (what actually took place) and is re-arranged to add manufactured "suspense".  Well, it's what they're doing right now!  The winner of the show is already known, filming is complete.  The contestants are just awaiting their non-disclosure time period to pass so they can open their mouths about their win or loss on the show.  I'll still watch.  I saw a few episodes of the Australian version and it wasn't too bad.

I feel like competition shows are grouped into one of the few formats:

- You got your group of contestants that are put into fabricated drama situations and then are systematically eliminated as the season progresses. (Survivor, the Bachelor, Temptation Island, etc..)

-You got your group of individuals that exhibit a talent and are judged to move on into the season. (America's Got Talent, Dancing With the stars, Masked Singer)

- You got your direct competition scenarios where where you have a task and judges pick the best of each task. (Chopped, most cooking competition shows)

There are probably some others but these are the ones I see all the time and get bored with them. I would like to see Lego Master closer to that ScyFy show Face Off where they had skilled make-up artists create scenes and costumes. This follows a little of the second and third formats I mentioned. I'd also like to see it something like Chopped where they are given a set number and style of pieces and they have to create objects in a given time allotment.

What I don't really like is spending way too much time on contestant backstory which I feel manipulates the viewer into loving certain creators and rooting for them instead of focusing on the actual creations. And I also love Will Arnet but if the show is going to be him making quips every 30 seconds then it might be a turn off after a while.

• Like 1

I may have mentioned this before - they heavily courted the SoCal AFOLs then passed over all the folks with LEGO talent and went with personalities that would make good TV.

So don’t expect the show to be about amazing MOCs or build technique. It’s about competition and drama. And a smashed LEGO creation or two.

Interestingly, Jamie Berard is one of the judges (see interview on BrickSet) and he is one of the uber-talented formerly AFOL now Master Builder and also has a great personality.

I do know a couple of the contestants (I don’t know who won though) so I will definitely be watching. Should be pretty entertaining.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MrToes16 said:

What I don't really like is spending way too much time on contestant backstory which I feel manipulates the viewer into loving certain creators and rooting for them instead of focusing on the actual creations. And I also love Will Arnet but if the show is going to be him making quips every 30 seconds then it might be a turn off after a while.

Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but it's all about the backstories.

I know several LUG members applied for the series.  Right away, the most talented builders were turned away because they didn't have "Back story" or didn't fit a quota (I.e. male-male groups were required to be ***, father-son, brothers, etc, that had "overcome" some obsticle").  

45 minutes ago, DadsAFOL said:

I may have mentioned this before - they heavily courted the SoCal AFOLs then passed over all the folks with LEGO talent and went with personalities that would make good TV.

So don’t expect the show to be about amazing MOCs or build technique. It’s about competition and drama. And a smashed LEGO creation or two.

This

I wonder if LEGO will have some advertising on the show for their newly acquired website to buy LEGO parts. Although AFOLs who may already know about Bricklink will tune in, I am assuming many people will watch who just like LEGO in general and have no idea about Bricklink's existence. The show will feature different challenges and have a lot of use of random parts I'm guessing, so it would make sense that people who are watching might be like, "I'd love to build stuff like this but how do I just buy parts I want and not whole sets?" 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Goofball814 said:

Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but it's all about the backstories.

I know several LUG members applied for the series.  Right away, the most talented builders were turned away because they didn't have "Back story" or didn't fit a quota (I.e. male-male groups were required to be ***, father-son, brothers, etc, that had "overcome" some obsticle").  

Yeah, I know one couple courted but ultimately passed over. Good for the camera, but their backstory would've been boring. If they won, money for kids' college, blah-blah-blah. No disabilities, no diseases, not victims, and they get along with each other and everyone else. Too boring and likable and they would have liked everybody else and been happy with the free trip to California if they got eliminated on Day 1. And I mean all of that in the nicest way. Just not a made-for-TV couple, and that's a good thing.

Edited by hockeyweasel
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, DadsAFOL said:

For whatever reason, the "Reality" shows in the US are always heavily edited for maximum drama.  I stopped watching after a while because the formula got to be too repetitive.  I think the US TV execs think we are too stupid that we cannot appreciate a honest competition without any drama.

For example, compare the UK vs US versions of Kitchen Nightmare.  In the UK version Gordon Ramsey actually concerned about the wellbeing of the restaurant owners there and he gave good advice per their situations.  In the US version, it was all about yelling and screaming to each other. :P

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

For whatever reason, the "Reality" shows in the US are always heavily edited for maximum drama.  I stopped watching after a while because the formula got to be too repetitive.  I think the US TV execs think we are too stupid that we cannot appreciate a honest competition without any drama.

For example, compare the UK vs US versions of Kitchen Nightmare.  In the UK version Gordon Ramsey actually concerned about the wellbeing of the restaurant owners there and he gave good advice per their situations.  In the US version, it was all about yelling and screaming to each other. :P

Yeah. Think this will be the first reality show I will have watched in the last ten years, now that I think about it!

58 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

A friend of mine was telling me why he loves The Great British Bake Off, and this was basically it.  No drama, contestants rooting for one another, honest competition. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Although I was getting work done at the same time, I was able to pay enough attention to catch the details of the builds (really just needed to watch the last 10 minutes). I enjoyed seeing the variety of items they made within the theme and agreed with the winning build. It would be nice if, instead of random banter, they did some quick displays of building techniques that people were using in their creations.

Hopefully this show brings millions of people out of their dark ages and they are all eager to get their hands on some of the mediocre sets I'm holding onto. 

My family and I enjoyed the show....taken at face value, it was an entertaining show that did a decent job of at least introducing some of the possibilities of what you can do with LEGO to many people who just aren't aware. I know the casting of the show is questionable....however I at least like the fact that they had many age groups and personality types to show the general public that anyone of any age can still build and enjoy LEGO without a negative stigma.

Looking at it through our over-critical eyes...yes the show does not get into the details that we want to see. But looking at it through the eyes of the general public, I think they did a good job bringing LEGO into primetime. I would expect to see a slight bump in sales over the next few months because of this show.

We are looking forward to future episodes!

• Like 1