Building a winter village

bouncer

Question

20 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

I try to bag them up and carefully store them. If they come apart during storage, at least the parts should hopefully be with the set, with little damage.

We do the similar thing, try to keep sections together so we don't have to build everything from scratch the next year (would take forever) as we own all the winter village sets and get the new one each year.

• Like 1

I also dismantle the winter village buildings by section each year, and store them in the small white gift boxes (https://www.target.com/p/2ct-china-gift-box-white-wondershop-8482/-/A-54632670) that Target clearances out at 90% off each year. This slipper box size is good for minifigs and polybags, too.

For storing modulars, I find the large flip-top decorative type of storage boxes are just the right size  https://www.michaels.com/large-christmas-cabin-deep-tab-paper-box-by-ashland/10602036.html  so that the buildings don't need to be dismantled too much for storage.  Michael's coupon magic can often get these down to below $5 each.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, waddamon said:

We take apart and rebuild, that is the fun of lego.  Each village looks different.  Finding all my white parts for snow now.

We used to rebuild every year until it just got out of control. We would have to start assembling in October just to be ready for Christmas....we finally said "screw this" and started storing them assembled. Lazy? Maybe.......Efficient? Yes!

We are also working on all of the snow now....never enough white plates or pieces to do the winter justice!!

Everyone should post pics of their villages!! I love this part!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, House Schubert said:

seriously... I just spent $300 on 16x16  plates in white... Oh well.

Baseplates or plates?  There's a difference.

For myself, I use the MILS system for builds.  So my baseplate doesn't matter.  But the "ground" level does matter.  So I usually try to go for 4x4 white plates.

3 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Baseplates or plates?  There's a difference.

For myself, I use the MILS system for builds.  So my baseplate doesn't matter.  But the "ground" level does matter.  So I usually try to go for 4x4 white plates.

Yes... I am aware... I love the MILS system, but don't use it for the winter village, and have been considering it for our city (which is currently all in sealed lego boxes, waiting for a finished  basement to go crazy in)  I was planing on building out the winter village with 16x16 white plates in a 32x32 modular format.  

Edited by House Schubert

8 hours ago, odysea11 said:

Everyone should post pics of their villages!! I love this part!!

Great idea! I'll go first... We are still assembling, so here is a pic of the Winter Firehouse that I modularized a bit.

Tonight I am going to attempt to put it on a MILS platform thanks to AlpineMaps.

IMG_6585.thumb.jpg.01d459ca9a069ee4ffd42d72df42b898.jpg

Edited by House Schubert
  • Like 3