Ideas #032: 21324 - 123 Sesame Street

Alpinemaps

• 9 months later...

Over at least a hundred million people internationally have watched the show one way or another. Biggest problem aside from the submission's size is being a digital render leaving a lot of room needed for improvement were it to take physical form in a child's hands let alone their shelf. Still good potential here plus something special perhaps in the instruction booklet for the late Caroll Edwin Spinney, longtime original performer of Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch, would be nice.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As someone argued elsewhere, its target are kids to play with it. Most parents won't be paying for a 200 Dollars/Euros set to let their Sesame Street aged kids play with. So the move by LEGO to simplify it and make it more affordable, will be very effective to sell more sets. Definitely a lot more than the original submission would sell. 

On the other hand, this is not what the 10k voters for the Ideas submission voted for ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KShine said:

Agree that while a bit disappointing that they had to shrink the set - a sesame street set at $120 is buyable for kids to play with, while a $200 price could be somewhat of a stretch.  

Just to play devil's advocate, is Sesame Street poplular with today's kids?  I say this as a 45 year old who grew up watching it, but my kids don't have a lot of connection to it.  There is so much education type of programing now that I figure Sesame Street is somewhat of a relic.  Even from a nostalgia stand point this set is a hard sell at $120.

the original submission was a lego rendition of a vintage toy which i still have. 

Vintage Fisher Price Sesame Street Apartment Vintage Fisher Price Playset |  Fisher price toys, Fisher price, Childhood toysVINTAGE FISHER-PRICE LITTLE PEOPLE SESAME STREET APARTMENT HOUSE #938 NICE!  | #1823585335

the actual set is a watered down facade which will check the minifigure boxes and won't break bank .  whereas i would have bought the submitted modular hinge closing set, the actual one being put on sale is weak  .

like mathew i wonder if sesame street has much cultural relevance even though hbo paid for exclusive rights.  seems like the air went out of the tires after the kevin clash fiasco.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Darth_Raichu changed the title to Ideas #032: 21324 - 123 Sesame Street